Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> fishing northern illinois lakes

Message Subject: fishing northern illinois lakes
Travisbrady86
Posted 10/19/2014 9:30 PM (#735699)
Subject: fishing northern illinois lakes

Hey, I am looking for any info on fishing lakes in northern Illinois for musky. I've been fishing Shabbona Lake and the Fox Chain all summer and have had some success, but all fish caught are in the 30 - 39 inch range. I need help locating and targeting the bigger fish, it seems like they are smarter and more elusive than the shorties. I've tried casting mag dawgs in open water around schools of shad, had a few follows but they turned away as soon as they spot the boat. If anyone has any info on either known spots or effective presentations for either lake, or any suggestions on other lakes in northern IL, that would be greatly appreciated. I usually travel into northern Wisconsin throughout the fall, but this season I am stuck fishing down here and am trying to make the best of it. I'll also add that I am new to this website, but have been reading the forums as a guest for a few years here and there, and I am amazed at how much knowledge flies around this site. It's a great resource and people should be able to get as much out of the site as they are willing to put into it. So if there are any topics I come across that I have any input on, I'll be happy to share any of my experiences. Thank you. Any help is appreciated.
Travis
jjm msky
Posted 10/20/2014 9:50 AM (#735746 - in reply to #735699)
Subject: RE: fishing northern illinois lakes

I too live in northern IL, the lakes around here are rough to fish.
if you don't mind a little drive, go south to evergreen or otter.
you will need a sticker to fish both of them, but it can be bought on site.
Otter is the better of the two to me, Otter has big musky's and big strippers.
There is very little info on the lake, but its a reservoir lake like shab.
Otter is near Carlinville, its about three and half hours south of Crystal lake
You will drive past evergreen on you way down, may want to stop and check that one out also. Good luck
Travisbrady86
Posted 10/22/2014 6:37 AM (#736061 - in reply to #735699)
Subject: Re: fishing northern illinois lakes

Jjm
Are there any motor restrictions on Otter? Also any info that you have on the lake regarding launch site, lake hours, etc.. would be appreciated. I'm thinking of trying to make a hell-run south for a day or two to check it out...Where from northern Illinois r u located at? do you have any history on the fox chain or shabbona? I just started fishing the fox chain this year, and have fished shabbona the last few years...Both seem to have some potential to produce bigger fish, but seems to me that the avg. size of the fish population is around the 30-40" range. Thanks again for your input!!
Travis
hoosierhunter
Posted 10/22/2014 7:25 AM (#736071 - in reply to #735699)

I would go to otter if it has big "strippers". They can keep you busy if the fishing is slow!!
tkuntz
Posted 10/22/2014 8:10 AM (#736082 - in reply to #735699)

If the strippers are that big, I'm going home. Don't care how much the cover is.
hoosierhunter
Posted 10/22/2014 11:03 AM (#736114 - in reply to #735699)

Guess I should have left out the big part!!
jjm msky
Posted 10/22/2014 2:21 PM (#736154 - in reply to #735699)

I just noticed that you are in Rockford, have ever tried rock cut state park??
Pierce lake held the state record for musky's for awhile a few years back. It gives up some big fish every year. They don't have the girth but you can get a 50" out of it.
As for shab, it a love hate relationship, I just hate that lake and I keep going back for more. I come back from it every time just PO'd every time. The chain is a good fishery if you get out there early and forget about it until late September. They have a game out there "how many fisherman can we swamp" with the waves from the cruisers out there. The regs on otter as far as motor size is 160 or 40 mph, and you can buy a sticker across the street from the launch. Its a nice launch all concrete ramps and nice lot. this lake also held the record for musky and hybrid stripers for awhile. Lake hours are normal, I don't remember a gate or anything. there is a list of musky lakes in IL on the dnr web site.
good luck
peck12
Posted 10/22/2014 4:29 PM (#736175 - in reply to #735699)

You should give Silver Lake in WI a shot. It's not in NE Illinois but it's under 1.5 hours from Rockford and 15-20 min from the Fox Chain. We've had some decent luck there the past few years.
R code
Posted 10/22/2014 7:16 PM (#736197 - in reply to #735699)

Rumor has it someone got a 44 inch ski out of silver 2 weeks ago.
jjm msky
Posted 10/22/2014 7:20 PM (#736198 - in reply to #735699)

a guy caught a nice 50" last year from shore, he was crappie fishing in the cat tails.
pictures posted somewhere I don't remember where I saw them, will look for the link
kyle smoker tackle
Posted 10/22/2014 8:26 PM (#736214 - in reply to #735699)

Otters horsepower limit is 115 and if you don't have a yearly permit the store that sells the daily permits doesn't open till at least sunrise .Most days in the fall-winter its whenever they get up.Kinda sucks
Travisbrady86
Posted 10/22/2014 8:38 PM (#736220 - in reply to #735699)

I've done a lot of trolling out of pierce lake the last two years to no avail...The shad population in that lake is ridiculous, and although there are some nice fish in there, they are a real pain in the a** to get to bite. Our musky club hosts a 13 week tournament on pierce, and nobody boated a fish within the 13 weeks. Not to mention that the participation was kind of low, but still. I've trolled small shad raps out there quite a bit, and haven't been able to produce. Everyone says its a trolling bite out there. I live within ten minutes of rock cut state park, and would rather drive the hour to fox chain, or hour down to shabbona. Shabbona is definitely a love hate lake. I've caught some fish outta there this year, but nothing over 40. Theres a FAT 42" on their facebook just caught this last weekend, I mean a real pig. I'm definitely going to check out otter though.
Musky Brian
Posted 10/23/2014 10:38 AM (#736297 - in reply to #736154)

jjm msky - 10/22/2014 2:21 PM

I just noticed that you are in Rockford, have ever tried rock cut state park??
Pierce lake held the state record for musky's for awhile a few years back. It gives up some big fish every year. They don't have the girth but you can get a 50" out of it.
As for shab, it a love hate relationship, I just hate that lake and I keep going back for more. I come back from it every time just PO'd every time. The chain is a good fishery if you get out there early and forget about it until late September. They have a game out there "how many fisherman can we swamp" with the waves from the cruisers out there. The regs on otter as far as motor size is 160 or 40 mph, and you can buy a sticker across the street from the launch. Its a nice launch all concrete ramps and nice lot. this lake also held the record for musky and hybrid stripers for awhile. Lake hours are normal, I don't remember a gate or anything. there is a list of musky lakes in IL on the dnr web site.
good luck

You can get a 50" in Pierce Lake?

Dunlap
Posted 10/23/2014 10:42 AM (#736300 - in reply to #736297)

I was wondering about the Pierce Lake holding the Illinois muskie state record comment ... That is news to me !!!
achotrod
Posted 10/23/2014 11:42 AM (#736310 - in reply to #735699)

I saw a pic of a legit 50 from the chain loading my boat a few weeks ago. Another guy was loading his boat at the same time and asked us what we were fishing for. When we told him muskies he started telling us how his step son caught a 50+ in lake x I didnt believe him cuase he seemed pretty buzzed until he whipped out the phone and showed me. Fish was a monster with a huge girth. No doubt in my mind he was telling the truth after that and I recognized the spot right away so I know it was actually from the chain.
Musky Brian
Posted 10/23/2014 12:28 PM (#736320 - in reply to #736310)

You are more likely to win the lotto and have a one night stand with Kate Upton then you are at catching a 50" from Pierce Lake
Travisbrady86
Posted 10/23/2014 12:35 PM (#736321 - in reply to #735699)

I dont doubt that there are 50"ers in pierce. Its getting them to take a bait over the shad forage thats the problem.
AndrewR
Posted 10/24/2014 3:58 PM (#736550 - in reply to #736320)

Musky Brian - 10/23/2014 12:28 PM

You are more likely to win the lotto and have a one night stand with Kate Upton then you are at catching a 50" from Pierce Lake

^ HAHAHA

All seriousness, check out McMaster, Lake Storey, some of the strip pits down by Peoria area, and Banner Marsh. If you read Heartland Outdoors Magazine one of the writers recently put together an informative story about a few places that have the potential of kicking out some bigger ones on IL public waters.
51Muskie
Posted 10/24/2014 7:32 PM (#736576 - in reply to #735699)

I Fished the chain Wednesday and caught a nice chunky 41 on a crappie pattern 8" grandma at 2 in the afternoon. The water warmed up to 54 degrees from 51. I was on channel lake in 7 foot of water and a slight s s w breeze. We dragged 2 suckers all day with no luck. Last year I saw a 50 plus caught near the 173 bridge. I hope this helps.
achotrod
Posted 10/25/2014 12:46 AM (#736612 - in reply to #735699)

Was out today, dead sea. Hoping for better luck tomorrow.
Alumacraft11988
Posted 10/25/2014 2:36 AM (#736615 - in reply to #735699)

Maybe give the indiana lakes a shot? The guide chea dolsen has cabins for rent out there for $50 a night I belive. That's a great deal and there is the barbee chain webster and tippicanoe lake all within 5 mins of each other. These lakes are LOADED and have some true trophy fish in them. Within the last 2 weeks about five 50-52" fish have been caught. Webster and the barbee chain have a 7 fish per acre population density I doubt you will find that anywhere else. The shad forage base isexcelent and the action is very good on these lakes. I low it's a little trip from you but it's well worth the trip.
kdawg
Posted 10/25/2014 8:09 AM (#736625 - in reply to #736615)

I believe the lake shuts down at this time of year at it's not talked about a lot but I know Heidecke Lake has a low number of big fish. Turn on your trolling motor and just start casting the entire south shore. Kdawg
muskyfishing89
Posted 10/28/2014 2:08 AM (#737279 - in reply to #735699)

We catch fish out of lakes around the area and a few in the river in certain stretches.
muskyfishing89
Posted 10/28/2014 2:30 AM (#737280 - in reply to #735699)

We catch fish out of lakes around the area and a few in the river in certain stretches.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)