Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Lake of woods bloom August?

Message Subject: Lake of woods bloom August?
muskyjim123
Posted 9/29/2014 1:36 PM (#732401)
Subject: Lake of woods bloom August?

I usually go to lotw in early to mid july. Thinking of switching to mid Aug for lotw so I can go to eagle mid july. Does the algae bloom get real bad by then? We go up to Tamarack lodge by morson area when we go. Am I over thinking it with bloom concerns? Other option for mid august would be moosehorn lodge lac seul for week with guide 3 days or eagle again aug. Any input would be greatly appreciated. .

Edited by muskyjim123 9/29/2014 1:38 PM
IAJustin
Posted 9/29/2014 2:49 PM (#732423 - in reply to #732401)
Subject: Re: Lake of woods bloom August?

depends on the year, but most years its worse late August... Yes you are overthinking, no bad time to be on the woods
Matt DeVos
Posted 9/30/2014 8:30 AM (#732530 - in reply to #732401)
Subject: Re: Lake of woods bloom August?

Yes, surface algae can be an issue in mid/late August. Wind and current moves the stuff around, sometimes on an hourly basis, which can be somewhat infuriating at times when your favorite spots suddenly turn into pea soup. I personally don't think it affects the fish too much, although it can make it tough to see follows. That said, since the stuff is getting moved around by wind, its usually not very difficult to find clean, (or cleaner), water. And like Justin said, the severity of the bloom seems to be variable year-to-year. We usually go up in mid/late August and most years its not that big of an issue, though this past August it was greener than we've seen it in a long time.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)