Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> LOTW's and soft plastics

Message Subject: LOTW's and soft plastics
double J
Posted 9/2/2014 9:39 PM (#728334)
Subject: LOTW's and soft plastics

I'm headed up to LOTW, for my first time ever. I have everything packed up gone over double checked retied. But I was wondering, in all the videos I see I don't see many soft plastics. How important is it to have a bulldawg/medusa tied on? I'll be on the east end sabaskong bay area. So I figured shallow stained water. How many guys throw them and do you have success? Thanks for any info I'm super excited
IAJustin
Posted 9/2/2014 9:55 PM (#728337 - in reply to #728334)
Subject: Re: LOTW's and soft plastics

If its your first time ever they probably wont be an important tool for you. Sure they catch fish but there are a lot of rocks under the surface of points and reefs you wont see, thus you will get snagged often.. I throw rubber in certain area's, like rock walls and areas I know well..... now, make sure you bring something you can fish deeper particularly crankbaits ....DR's, DDD's, 10" jakes and such bang off rocks and produce well - good luck!
Musky Brian
Posted 9/3/2014 1:55 AM (#728354 - in reply to #728337)

i'd have on a modified shallow invader before a dog or dusa on LOTW....I'm sure they catch fish out there but I don't think they are a vital tool by any means imo....
double J
Posted 9/3/2014 7:12 PM (#728509 - in reply to #728334)

Ok thank you so much guys, I'll leave the pounder rod at the house. Thanks for the advice
jdsplasher
Posted 9/3/2014 10:22 PM (#728541 - in reply to #728509)

I would NOT disregard the cork style Hellkat for shallow rocks on the woods . if conditions are tough like they were this July, a Hellkat will move fish. The bait was productive this July, when most were struggling to move fish!

JD
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 9/4/2014 2:42 PM (#728638 - in reply to #728334)

For what it's worth...been a few guys that swear by it and have the results to prove it is worth throwing big rubber anytime. Several early season monsters in June for our guests on rubber. That being said, I never throw it...more so because I have just never used those kind of baits. I probably should try it more often. Good advice from IAJustin. Use it in the right places to keep from being inefficient.
BNelson
Posted 9/4/2014 3:00 PM (#728641 - in reply to #728638)

muskies are muskies... they work everywhere, I threw them some this year..lost a low 40s and had a few other fish up to 48" take a peak at em... I worked them on rock reefs and points usually hopping them up 1st few cranks then letting them fall a bit... did lose one Medussa to the rocks...
Mr Musky
Posted 9/4/2014 4:50 PM (#728654 - in reply to #728641)

Ask Brad Ruh how him and his clan have done over the years on the Woods. That's all they throw!
ErockEsox
Posted 9/4/2014 4:54 PM (#728656 - in reply to #728334)

I fished Sabaskong last week and we had most of our luck on small cranks (6" Jake, Crane, etc.) fished very aggressively and bucktails. Seemed that the double 8s had the most action. I did however use a regular size double dawg to trick one fish that followed a half dozen times into biting. He of course was peeed and threw that bait back at me, but he bit it before that. Fish hard and when you find fish keep trying, they'll go. Hold on tight.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)