Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Michigan DNR Cracking Down on Illegal Guiding

Message Subject: Michigan DNR Cracking Down on Illegal Guiding
Zib
Posted 7/21/2014 9:10 AM (#721599)
Subject: Michigan DNR Cracking Down on Illegal Guiding

FYI for those hiring a guide/charter on LSC, beware of those operating an illegal guiding/charter operation.

Here's the lastest from the Michigan DNR Bi-weekly CO reports (2 different guides busted):

District 9

"While on patrol checking boaters at Clinton River Cutoff Access site, PCO David
Schaumburger and PCO Christopher Knights made contact with a possible illegal
charter boat operation. CO Kris Kiel identified the suspect as being a repeat offender. PCOs Schaumburger and Knights interviewed the suspect and passengers. A ticket was issued for operating an unlicensed charter boat and the boat was seized."

"CO Kris Kiel, PCOs David Schaumburger and Christopher Knights contacted a boat
captain who was also suspected of running an unlicensed charter boat. The suspect
and passengers were interviewed and it was determined an illegal operation was taking place. A ticket was issued for operating an unlicensed charter boat."

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/6-22-14__7-7-14_462966_7.pdf?...

IM Musky Time
Posted 7/21/2014 2:12 PM (#721658 - in reply to #721599)
Subject: Re: Michigan DNR Cracking Down on Illegal Guiding

Wow, boat seizure is the real deal. Lesson learned there hopefully. My personal favorite from that report (there are always a few good ones) was:

CO Mike Wells and PCO Josiah Killingbeck were on marine patrol during the holiday
weekend when they made contact with a PWC operator without a PFD. Upon making
contact, the adult operator advised the COs that it is his right to operate without a life
jacket. Upon inspecting the PWC, it was also determined that there was no fire
extinguisher aboard the vessel. When he received a marine safety ticket, the subject
advised the COs that he never wears a seat belt in his motor vehicle as well.
CiscoKid
Posted 7/22/2014 11:26 AM (#721812 - in reply to #721599)
Subject: RE: Michigan DNR Cracking Down on Illegal Guiding

MI is not messing around! Also if you are out-of-state and get pulled over they take your license, and you only get it back if you pay $100, cash, there on the spot. My in-laws were lucky enough to experience this first hand.

Also heard they were checking how far out your receiver extended beyond the hitch. Apparently it can only stick out so far, and if it is too far you get a ticket. This I did not experience, but was told by an employee at George Young Golf Course.
ToddM
Posted 7/22/2014 11:41 AM (#721814 - in reply to #721599)

Guess it pays not to flaunt your big receiver bar in Michigan!
Will Schultz
Posted 7/22/2014 2:00 PM (#721845 - in reply to #721599)

That's great, glad to see they're taking care of business out there.
BenR
Posted 7/22/2014 2:09 PM (#721847 - in reply to #721599)

State needs money and if you can afford a boat, you are prime target...
Cedar
Posted 7/22/2014 5:46 PM (#721879 - in reply to #721599)

So having a boat in MI makes you a target???..... I seriously doubt that is the case.

The CO's are just doing their jobs by enforcing the laws, and though I don't know it to be true or not (kind of doubt it, but anythings possible), I can't really see CO's running around with tape measures measuring your receiver bars (pun intended).

"Don't do the crime if you can't do the time."
Mr Musky
Posted 7/22/2014 7:14 PM (#721896 - in reply to #721599)

Really, a hundred just to get your license back? Sounds like the corruption that happens in Mexico. Michigan peeps can you get us some specs on the receivers?
Hop
Posted 7/22/2014 7:18 PM (#721899 - in reply to #721599)

If you follow the rules and regs why be concerned about the enforcement?
smada
Posted 7/23/2014 4:56 AM (#721941 - in reply to #721896)

Mr Musky - 7/22/2014 7:14 PM

Michigan peeps can you get us some specs on the receivers?

I've lived in MI my entire life and have never heard of such a thing, I'd be curious to hear if anyone else has.

Edited by smada 7/23/2014 6:32 AM
smada
Posted 7/23/2014 4:58 AM (#721942 - in reply to #721847)

BenR - 7/22/2014 2:09 PM

State needs money and if you can afford a boat, you are prime target...

Yeah, how dare a state actually try to enforce laws they have in place!
Imobley
Posted 7/23/2014 6:52 AM (#721946 - in reply to #721896)

Mr Musky - 7/22/2014 8:14 PM

Really, a hundred just to get your license back? Sounds like the corruption that happens in Mexico. Michigan peeps can you get us some specs on the receivers?

i was pulled over for speeding in Michigan and was given my license right back with a written warning, i was in my truck and he never checked my receiver,
Zib
Posted 7/23/2014 7:23 AM (#721948 - in reply to #721941)

smada - 7/23/2014 5:56 AM

I've lived in MI my entire life and have never heard of such a thing, I'd be curious to hear if anyone else has.

Me neither. I think someone is trying to be a smart arse.
Pointerpride102
Posted 7/23/2014 8:16 AM (#721954 - in reply to #721812)

CiscoKid - 7/22/2014 10:26 AM

MI is not messing around! Also if you are out-of-state and get pulled over they take your license, and you only get it back if you pay $100, cash, there on the spot. My in-laws were lucky enough to experience this first hand.

Also heard they were checking how far out your receiver extended beyond the hitch. Apparently it can only stick out so far, and if it is too far you get a ticket. This I did not experience, but was told by an employee at George Young Golf Course.

This doesn't sound legit. I think someone is spinning a yarn...
woodieb8
Posted 7/23/2014 8:21 AM (#721955 - in reply to #721599)

yes sir and I saw bigfoot casting bulldogs on st clair.
Contender
Posted 7/23/2014 8:32 AM (#721956 - in reply to #721599)

I do a ton of trailering around Michigan, and never heard anything about receiver inserts being checked.

Side note: I walked into a hitch haul on a big extension in the dark, a few weeks ago, and messed my leg up. Would have liked to have written him a ticket.
MACK
Posted 7/23/2014 9:04 AM (#721958 - in reply to #721812)

CiscoKid - 7/22/2014 11:26 AM

Anyone have any legal documentation showing where this is in Black & White print and states the measurements? This is a new one for me too.

I'm one that will always Dot my "I's" and Cross my "T's" so if there is such a limitation, I need to know what it is before traveling back into Michigan again either towing a boat or a snowmobile trailer.

horsehunter
Posted 7/23/2014 10:35 AM (#721965 - in reply to #721599)

This sort of thing was happening around here I think by a cop who cracked his shin on one. If anyone took the time to go to court it was thrown out. As long as your ball is not obstructing the plate there is no law in Ontario.Most drawbars have a drop and don't obstruct the view of the plate.
Imobley
Posted 7/23/2014 10:47 AM (#721968 - in reply to #721965)

it appears the hitch bill was introduced in 2012 but never passed
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%280lov4q55kwimub45havofcjv%29%29...
SteveHulbert
Posted 7/23/2014 11:18 AM (#721974 - in reply to #721599)

FYI....on July 4th weekend, I was traveling to Saugatuck, MI and received a speeding ticket near Allegan, MI.

The officer clocked me going 72 in a 55, but wrote the ticket for 5MPH over. He took my license. I paid the ticket a few days later (via the internet), and received my license back a few days after that in the mail.

He could have asked for $100 on the spot as a "bond" since I was out of state, but took my DL instead as "bond". His options were clearly printed on the ticket I was issued. There were several options, including the two I mention above as means of providing a "bond".

So, although I was never asked to give him $100 along side the road, he could have asked. And I could have given him the $100 or he would have taken my DL, along with a few other options if I wouldn't have had a C-Note on me. The speeding ticket serves as your license until you get it back in the mail.

Any $$$$ you give as bond for a ticket, would of course be applied to your ticket fees or refunded back to you.

Edited by SteveHulbert 7/23/2014 11:21 AM
krunchbait
Posted 7/23/2014 11:24 AM (#721975 - in reply to #721599)

If Michigan State Police light you up, you're not going to get any warnings. Behave!
CiscoKid
Posted 7/23/2014 11:40 AM (#721981 - in reply to #721948)

Zib - 7/23/2014 7:23 AM

smada - 7/23/2014 5:56 AM

Me neither. I think someone is trying to be a smart arse.

Perhaps the employee at George Young was being a smart arse, I don't know. It's what he told us when we questioned the $100 fine deal. Maybe it's just a UP thing, or a maybe something they are doing just around Iron River. Or it's not tru at all and the guy is a big fisherman and doesn't want us fishing around his area. Just relaying what I was told.
MACK
Posted 7/23/2014 1:06 PM (#721996 - in reply to #721599)

Here's something else found regarding the ball/hitch being left within the receiver while not actually towing a trailer.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2011-2012/billintroduced/Ho...

See Page 3 of the .pdf document...lines 21-26. So I guess it's more about leaving your ball/hitch being left within the receiver and driving around without a trailer connected...probably to protect people with no eyes walking behind your vehicle and whackin' the schizznit out of their knees and/or shins on your ball/hitch because they weren't watching where they were walking.

Yeaup...gotta protect the dummies from themselves....

Heaven forbid people take ownership and be responsible for their own actions.

detroithardcore
Posted 7/23/2014 1:06 PM (#721997 - in reply to #721599)

Who's boat was seized? Heard of a few tickets but no boats seized...good thing they are cracking down but a few years too late....well, it's never too late.
Pointerpride102
Posted 7/23/2014 2:38 PM (#722012 - in reply to #721996)

MACK - 7/23/2014 12:06 PM

Here's something else found regarding the ball/hitch being left within the receiver while not actually towing a trailer.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2011-2012/billintroduced/Ho...

See Page 3 of the .pdf document...lines 21-26. So I guess it's more about leaving your ball/hitch being left within the receiver and driving around without a trailer connected...probably to protect people with no eyes walking behind your vehicle and whackin' the schizznit out of their knees and/or shins on your ball/hitch because they weren't watching where they were walking.

Yeaup...gotta protect the dummies from themselves....

Heaven forbid people take ownership and be responsible for their own actions.

I would check to see if that bill actually passed the House.
FishFinder87
Posted 7/23/2014 2:53 PM (#722013 - in reply to #721599)

A MI state patrol story from this winter... We were ice fishing and my buddies were keeping their gear at a friend's place across the road from the lake.. The driveway was just a couple hundred feet from the boat landing and they were stopped by the state patrol for riding down the highway on snowmobiles, even though they were to the far right of the right of way as allowed by law.. and basically just crossing the road. (ticket later thrown out, as he was legal) Regardless, a ticket was written and he was told if he did not pay 100 dollars on the spot, he would be taken to jail for the rest of the weekend. Thank god the cop let my other buddy go down the road to the bank to get money (which required him to drive far longer down the side of the road to do lol). I was also unloading my snowmobile just out of site of these guys by the launch and was given a warning for not wearing a helmet... all I was doing was unloading from trailer, still needed to load our gear before we left. I 100% understand that rules are there for a reason and that they are just doing their job... but give me a break.. We were there for a tournament and easily spent over 1000 dollars between our small group that went into the local economy.. Those communities need that money to survive. How about being a bit more welcoming? Thinking about spending our money in MN next year and seeing if they're a bit more welcoming.

Edited by FishFinder87 7/23/2014 6:01 PM
MuskyMulisha
Posted 7/23/2014 5:19 PM (#722032 - in reply to #721599)

to bad its a year or 2 to late..
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)