Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Big Fork River

Message Subject: Big Fork River
djwilliams
Posted 4/30/2016 12:24 PM (#815641)
Subject: Big Fork River

I am thinking about a canoe/muskie trip for a couple days down the Bigfork south of the town of Bigfork. Does anyone suggest paddling north of Bigfork?
Pedro
Posted 5/1/2016 9:15 PM (#815734 - in reply to #815641)
Subject: Re: Big Fork River

Fished it a few times always north of Big Fork. Never been south of town for Muskies. I usually wait for low water and walk the river with sandals. Bring a back pack to carry your gear. Bug spray too!
djwilliams
Posted 5/2/2016 9:32 AM (#815772 - in reply to #815641)

Of course I meant the town of Big Falls.
tolle141
Posted 5/3/2016 7:55 PM (#816038 - in reply to #815641)

following. always been curious
Pedro
Posted 5/4/2016 5:56 PM (#816166 - in reply to #815641)

In low water search for holes, wood, bridges. Top waters like top raiders, smaller buck tails, and big skirted jigs with a swimming trailer have caught fish for me. Jigs probably number 1, plus they only have one hook and there pretty snag free.
tolle141
Posted 5/4/2016 6:08 PM (#816172 - in reply to #815641)

whats it like to float? how are the camp sites? any particular stretch of the big or little fork that's better?
Brad P
Posted 5/5/2016 9:04 AM (#816234 - in reply to #816172)

Before I bought my boat and took up musky fishing I floated a ten mile stretch from West of Big Fork to Big Fork. It is pristine wilderness, literally feels untouched by man outside of the rare bridge. We didn't do much for fishing but the scenery was remarkable. I've longed to do another float on that river just for the serenity as the memories have stuck with me over the years.

talmooner
Posted 5/5/2016 10:16 AM (#816247 - in reply to #815641)
Subject: RE: Big Fork River

To those who have floated/canoed the Big Fork.

Can you please clarify where you put in and took out?

Is the section from Dora Lake (or somewhere in that general direction) east to Big Fork (the town) what folks are talking about?

Or, from the town of Big Fork north to Big Falls?

Or, from Big Falls north toward the Rainy River?

Not thinking muskie, just curious as to what piece of water is the more canoe/float friendly?

DNR maps show a pretty good selection of campsites along the entire route but was curious to hear anyone's personal experience/opinions.

Thanks
Talmooner
Brad P
Posted 5/5/2016 11:42 AM (#816268 - in reply to #815641)

We launched at a bridge West of Big Fork and canoed all the way to town. The river meanders in that stretch, lots of turns, only one set of very minor rapids. The river is mostly undeveloped, so when I say we launched at a bridge that means we carried a canoe down and put in the water, there wasn't any kind of developed launch. There are some spots along the river that are "more friendly" than that, but not much. The town of Big Fork has an actaul ramp if I am recalling correctly, it's been awhile. There is place to launch off of Hwy 1 E of Effie, but again this is just a place where you can drive your truck down. Nothing in the way of a boat ramp. I've never floated past the town of Big Fork, so I can't comment on what that section is like.

I'd encourage the trip to explore the river. It is gorgeous.

talmooner
Posted 5/5/2016 12:42 PM (#816280 - in reply to #815641)
Subject: RE: Big Fork River

Thanks for the info Brad P.

Sounds like a fun deal.

Talmooner
Born
Posted 5/11/2016 7:41 PM (#816920 - in reply to #815641)

The further north you go the darker the water, stained with tannins. We have put in in Big fork at public access and went north to the bridge east of Effie. We always used the jon boat with motor. We have also put in at hwy 6 bridge and pulled out at hwy 6 bridge few miles north. I have also fished little American falls. Have encountered muskie on all sections. We have always done the river trips when the river was at normal or low levels. Have never found any areas that were very deep, mostly 4' deep or less the sections I fished. The river is quite high right now.
dtaijo174
Posted 5/12/2016 3:34 PM (#817007 - in reply to #815641)

Here is a map from the DNR. I've never tried the river, but have always been interested. Let us know how you do.

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/maps/canoe_routes/bigfork.pdf
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)