Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Family Fishing Trip Planning

Message Subject: Family Fishing Trip Planning
ToothyCritter
Posted 2/12/2016 10:06 AM (#804372)
Subject: Family Fishing Trip Planning

Hi All -
I'm stuck trying to come up with ideas for a fishing trip with my sons. Ages are 12 and 17 and a 3 day tour is what I'm considering since I will need a guide for the entire trip. I would like to target Muskies for most of the time, but also mix it up so the boy's don't lose interest and they love Northers, especially the younger one. I want them to see Canada and first thought is do they need Passports? I will not have a boat and I'm not buying another one. Rentals only if I must but would prefer to just pay up and let the guide put us in the best spots safely. I tend to hit every rock I can in LOTW

This site has always generated some fantastic ideas that I don't see myself searching the internet. Thanks in advance and be safe everyone!
Mike
jonnysled
Posted 2/12/2016 10:12 AM (#804373 - in reply to #804372)
Subject: Re: Family Fishing Trip Planning

sounds like you'd like to have an experience with some balance. i'm sure there are a zillion to meet your needs but it says Lake of the Woods to me. i used to stay at Oak Island Resort located between Sunset and The Bay Store Camp on Oak Island accessed via the Northwest Angle. I would recommend it and anticipate you may also be recommended the other two. Good luck whichever location you pick ... great ages and i'm sure you're going to have a great trip regardless of what you finally pick.
jaultman
Posted 2/12/2016 10:13 AM (#804374 - in reply to #804372)

If I was in your position, one of the first options I would explore is to fish with Darcy Cox (Tank Industries Guide Service, I think) on LOTW out of Kenora. I have no ties to him at all, just going off what I've seen in videos and pictures. That would give you awesome musky fishing and great opportunities for other fish if you want to change it up. But sounds like you've already done LOTW, maybe want other water now?
ToothyCritter
Posted 2/12/2016 10:34 AM (#804384 - in reply to #804372)

Yes, LOTW is where we would like to go. No boat, so we will need to be picked up or drive to our final destination. I can bring some food and snacks, but would like to stay where that would be provided for the most part. We have plenty of fishing gear, too much really. If there is such a thing.. If Dad or one of the boy's takes a hook to the hand, I would like to know that there are facilities to met those needs if it happens. I'll preach safety first, but I need to consider that as a Dad. Checking the Tank Industries out of Kenora & Passports requirements for the boys..Thanks!
ToothyCritter
Posted 2/12/2016 11:15 AM (#804390 - in reply to #804372)

Looks like the 12 year old needs just a NEXUS card and the oldest will require a Passport as well the NEXUS. I'm covered. Wiley Point Lodge seems to be the front runner so far. Thanks again for the help, forgot about Kenora and reaching out here helped!
Musky Brian
Posted 2/12/2016 11:38 AM (#804395 - in reply to #804372)

There's good guides right on site at Wiley's if you choose to go that route. It's a very nice place, 5* quality. If you can afford it, it would be a very good option. ( very pricy)

Edited by Musky Brian 2/12/2016 11:40 AM
wall i
Posted 2/13/2016 9:15 AM (#804576 - in reply to #804372)

Good guides out of Ash Rapids also on LOTW. Area provides excellent musky/walleye/ smb/np at 1/2 the price of Wiley's. Its not 5 star but you are on the water all day....do you really need to be paying for an exercise room, manicurist and hot tub for someone's non-fishing spouse?
Rentals also at Ash. Ive taken my son the past two years and will be back again this year. AP or HKP whichever you prefer and a great restaurant with a massive patio overlooking the lake. You have close access to Shoal lake. Guides from Whiley's spend an hour time daily travelling each way to the Labyrinth and Shoal while at Ash its at your front door. Musky in the Lab area during the summer is the best kept secret on LOTW...well at least till now. Use to do strictly fly-ins but after discovering this spot, theres no need. Andrew and Tanis run the operation, are year round 3rd generation owners and decent people.

Also an unqualified thumbs up for Witch Bay Camp....it is to the NE section of LOTW what Andy Meyers is to Eagle Lake. Reputation as having the best of the best guides.
They have regular evening seminars and you will learn considerable in a unique fisherman's environ.

Edited by wall i 2/13/2016 11:54 AM
Fisher
Posted 2/13/2016 9:30 AM (#804582 - in reply to #804372)
Subject: RE: Family Fishing Trip Planning

Sunset lodge!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)