Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Gile Flowage

Message Subject: Gile Flowage
BigTime
Posted 7/2/2015 9:40 PM (#774762)
Subject: Gile Flowage

Hey guys, been lurking for a while, but this is my first post. I'm headed up to the Gile Flowage for a week with my dad and brother tomorrow, and was wondering if anyone can give me any tips? We normally do a week long trip every year (normally Namakagon) but this is the first year on the Gile. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time guys.
14ledo81
Posted 7/2/2015 10:18 PM (#774766 - in reply to #774762)
Subject: Re: Gile Flowage

Look out for unmarked hazards.

Also, this water is very dark.
Musky Brian
Posted 7/3/2015 6:47 AM (#774775 - in reply to #774766)

first off, you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't spend some time fishing for some bass or even walleyes, very good multi species lake ( especially smallies)...my first 2 hours out there I caught a LMB, SMB, walleye pike and musky..

as far as Skis....I've done well fishing the south end with a variety of Orange colored baits. I've heard there are cabbage beds out there, haven't found them in my limited time but I know if you do, fish em....

if you launch at the north end stay to the left of the first island and you can actually run that all the way down the lake...there's some obstacles to the SW of the launch, some nasty rocks off the south end of the Big Island, among many others...

Edited by Musky Brian 7/3/2015 6:49 AM
BigTime
Posted 7/3/2015 10:24 AM (#774796 - in reply to #774762)

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I will be needing a new lower unit after this trip! We have a house rented on the SW side of the flowage, so hopefully we can at least get around decent enough to fish. Thanks for the heads up guys
BigTime
Posted 7/3/2015 10:32 AM (#774798 - in reply to #774762)

What landing would be best to launch an 18 ft boat in? I have a 1760 tuffey osprey, so it's not huge, but big enough to make shallow landings a PITA
Cedar
Posted 7/3/2015 2:54 PM (#774818 - in reply to #774798)

The main launch is in the town of Gile, and is the best one (concrete with a paved parking area). The next best would be off of Hwy C on the E side of the flowage. It's all gravel, and a little shallower than the main one, but shouldn't be a problem for your boat.

X2 on hitting some Smallmouth now. Tube jigs and crawfish cranks.

Baits with some bright orange or white on them are typically good for Muskies.

Very dark water. Watch out for rocks.
BigTime
Posted 7/3/2015 6:18 PM (#774828 - in reply to #774762)

Ok, so got the boat, thanks guys. Hwy C landing was pretty decent. Now for the fishing report. Fished 5 hours in various structures with no luck. Wow is this water dark! Gonna be hard to see any follows. I'm kind of at a loss where to fish though, since there's no weeds, what holds these fish? I fished around all the small islands on the south end of the lake, shud I be fishing the river channel? Real skinny water? Sorry for all the questions, but I want to put my dad and brother on a fish or two. Thanks for any help
14ledo81
Posted 7/3/2015 8:10 PM (#774834 - in reply to #774762)

Sent you a pm
BigTime
Posted 7/4/2015 7:37 PM (#774900 - in reply to #774762)
Subject: RE: Gile Flowage

Well found some success today. Fished the north end around the dam and river channel and boated a nice 45" er. No other follows but found some nice deep structure to fish in the future

Edited by BigTime 7/4/2015 7:40 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (141KB - 292 downloads)
14ledo81
Posted 7/4/2015 11:37 PM (#774912 - in reply to #774762)

Nice fish!!
ToddM
Posted 7/5/2015 5:35 AM (#774919 - in reply to #774762)

Great job, beautify lake and x2 on the smallies. I have fished it when the water was low, water fluctuates on the lake. When it is low hazards are pretty much above water.
BigTime
Posted 7/5/2015 9:13 AM (#774925 - in reply to #774762)

Thanks guys! Thanks for all your help! My girlfriend and my brothers girlfriend are coming up today, so now I have to really concentrate on finding some smallies or panfish for them to catch.
Musky Brian
Posted 7/6/2015 7:44 AM (#775010 - in reply to #774925)

They are all around the big island, especially south side of it
Medford Fisher
Posted 7/7/2015 10:24 PM (#775311 - in reply to #774762)

Congrats, Max! Glad you guys got a good one. Great to see somebody that's not afraid to ask questions, but willing to put the time/effort in regardless of info. Wish I could help you out more, but I've only been there once and we got blown off the water pretty quickly. Hope your girlfriend and brother's girlfriend got into some fish!

-Jake
BigTime
Posted 7/8/2015 7:48 PM (#775455 - in reply to #774762)

Thanks Jake. The muskies gave us the slip the last couple days, haven't seen one since sat. The weather didn't exactly cooperate either though. Cold front kind of shut us down. Fished for smallies and walleyes and didn't have much luck on those either. I'm back to work tomorrow unfortunately, but had a really nice experience on the Gile. Beautiful lake, and a fishermans dream. No jet skis or pleasure boats! I definitely look forward to heading back, and hopefully figure more out. If anyone ever wants to rent a cabin for a few days or more, I can PM you the place we stayed. Very nice, reasonably priced, and all the amenities. Thanks for everyone's help on my first trip to the Gile.

Edited by BigTime 7/8/2015 8:02 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)