Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> lake st clair opener

Message Subject: lake st clair opener
Zib
Posted 6/2/2015 9:57 PM (#771084 - in reply to #771028)
Subject: Re: lake st clair opener

glock17c - 6/2/2015 4:11 PM

any advice on which part of the lake to start? We are staying in Roseville and will be launching from Metro Park. Not looking for exact locations of your prime spots just a starting point. From what I have seen its not like fishing our southern reservoirs where a spot may be one tree or patch of grass the size of a boat. A spot on st clair may be the size of a mall parking lot or larger and have a ton of fish on it.

I'd advise against launching from LSC Metro Park on the weekend. It's a zoo full of idiot pleasure boaters that don't have a clue on how to launch a boat. There's the DNR Harley Ensign ramp at the end of South River Road (which is north of the Metro Park) & the DNR Clinton River cut-off access (also referred to as the Crocker launch) it's on Jefferson just south of Crocker Blvd across from Eddie's Drive In (which is south of the Metro Park).

Edited by Zib 6/2/2015 9:59 PM
Chain Gang
Posted 6/3/2015 4:20 AM (#771097 - in reply to #770530)

I would also advise against having a set ramp that you intend on launching from. Let wind and weather determine that. Early forecast is for northeast wind. So choose a launch that doesn't have wind blowing across the entire lake at it. The lake kicks up very fast so stay safe.
glock17c
Posted 6/3/2015 5:42 AM (#771101 - in reply to #770530)

The couple of days I was at st clair last year we used the ramp across from eddies drive in, I don't know why the guys at work refer to it as metro park, its clearly south of metro park on the map but that is the ramp we intended on using. I will definitely check out the other ramps. Are they as safe to park your truck as the Crocker Launch? It seems to be in a decent part of town and had a lot attendant on site for the daylight hours. We typically leave early enough to miss the pleasure boaters. When fishing our home lake im normally on my first spot at least 30 minutes before any signs of daylight. Busy weekends we have been on it 2 hours early just to be the first to hit a spot with top water.

Our local lake was only had 2 of 10 ramps open due to high water for memorial day weekend. Wasn't bad early in the morning but by lunch time it was a mess. Just like you said pleasure boaters that don't know how to load/unload boats. sometimes its fun to sit back and watch them, you never know what you might see.

Thanks for all of the advice, if your going to be out this weekend post what your going to be fishing in. Its a big lake but you never know. We ran into some guys from Kentucky last year we knew. Ill be in a newer black 1750 crestliner.
Chain Gang
Posted 6/3/2015 7:07 AM (#771111 - in reply to #770530)

They are all pretty safe. Alter rd in the upper detroit river is probably the worst but no real worries there are enough people around. Good luck to you!
10KCasts
Posted 6/3/2015 11:02 AM (#771154 - in reply to #771033)

10KCasts - 6/2/2015 3:33 PM

I just learned this, Canadian side season doesn't start until the 20th. Wow, almost made a big error.

Sorry guys. My mistake. Misread the exceptions in Zone 19. Niagara River opens 3rd Saturday. St Clair is open this weekend.

Brian
glock17c
Posted 6/3/2015 11:23 AM (#771157 - in reply to #770530)

Thanks Chain Gang, Good info to know. ready to head that way and try to catch some fish. haven't caught a musky since February and im starting to have withdraws.
Zib
Posted 6/3/2015 12:30 PM (#771169 - in reply to #771101)

glock17c - 6/3/2015 6:42 AM

The couple of days I was at st clair last year we used the ramp across from eddies drive in, I don't know why the guys at work refer to it as metro park, its clearly south of metro park on the map but that is the ramp we intended on using. I will definitely check out the other ramps. Are they as safe to park your truck as the Crocker Launch? It seems to be in a decent part of town and had a lot attendant on site for the daylight hours. We typically leave early enough to miss the pleasure boaters. When fishing our home lake im normally on my first spot at least 30 minutes before any signs of daylight. Busy weekends we have been on it 2 hours early just to be the first to hit a spot with top water.

Our local lake was only had 2 of 10 ramps open due to high water for memorial day weekend. Wasn't bad early in the morning but by lunch time it was a mess. Just like you said pleasure boaters that don't know how to load/unload boats. sometimes its fun to sit back and watch them, you never know what you might see.

Thanks for all of the advice, if your going to be out this weekend post what your going to be fishing in. Its a big lake but you never know. We ran into some guys from Kentucky last year we knew. Ill be in a newer black 1750 crestliner.

I haven't made up my mind if I'm fishing the river or the lake but I'll be out there in a small white boat (14'5") with a 25 HP Merc tiller with 2 fat guys in it. I'll be the short fat guy in the front while fishing.
glock17c
Posted 6/3/2015 7:05 PM (#771219 - in reply to #770530)

Haha ill be the fat guy in the black crestliner fishhawk
mastical
Posted 6/3/2015 8:33 PM (#771228 - in reply to #770530)

I guess I'll add to this too

I'll be the husky guy with a beard in the burgundy fishhawk
Contender
Posted 6/4/2015 7:45 AM (#771263 - in reply to #771033)

good luck all...

Edited by Contender 6/4/2015 7:46 AM
glock17c
Posted 6/4/2015 11:38 AM (#771295 - in reply to #770530)

definitely good luck to all and be safe! saw a story on msn yesterday where a family out west was in a ski boat and a bad storm rolled in. 50 mph winds resulted in 10 foot waves capsizing the boat and killed 3 kids. Everyone had on lifejackets but I believe the water temps where still low and hypothermia set in.
mastical
Posted 6/4/2015 1:10 PM (#771301 - in reply to #770530)

Crazy stuff happens everyday.

This happened yesterday a few miles from the lake.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2015/06/03/man-killed-during-accident-w...
glock17c
Posted 6/4/2015 2:40 PM (#771310 - in reply to #770530)

wow, you never know. I was in a wreck about 10 years ago and had to hit the ditch, couldn't see this big tree stump in the grass and hit it head on. Had a 18 foot bass boat behind me, it broke the tie down straps and bent the bar on the trailer the bow rides on 2 feet towards my truck. Any faster and the boat would have came off the trailer.
Bondy
Posted 6/4/2015 5:41 PM (#771325 - in reply to #770530)

Don't forget jigging. Local Rick Wacasey shows us how it's done!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a9FduEPoXX4
glock17c
Posted 6/4/2015 11:21 PM (#771355 - in reply to #770530)

We have our bondys in the boat, can never forget jigging.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)