Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Webster Lake (mid May)

Message Subject: Webster Lake (mid May)
GIERAT
Posted 1/27/2015 4:55 AM (#750511)
Subject: Webster Lake (mid May)

Heading out to Indiana around mid May and wanted to ask for some top 3 lures choices.

1.Phantom soft tails
2. Medussa
3. Slammers/SS Shad

Would try to mix in bucktail time and some topwater Weagle/Jackpot?

SHO-NUFF
Posted 1/27/2015 8:26 AM (#750524 - in reply to #750511)
Subject: RE: Webster Lake (mid May)

Been on Webster since early 90's. Traditionally, best Spring baits have been topwaters(pick ur favorite), Dawgs or any other big plastic, and any minnow/twitchbaits(grannys, cranes, jakes, shallow raiders etc.) Bucktails will work too but I'd downsize and go for speed to trip some triggers. If you get calm overcast conditions---stick with the topwaters--- caught some real MONSTERS doing that! Some really big fish were caught this Fall---- looking forward to next Spring!----Pat
GIERAT
Posted 1/27/2015 8:54 AM (#750527 - in reply to #750524)

Thanks for your tips. I'll be up there with my Dad and brother and I believe there will will a musky tourney going on there May 15th to 17th....might get a little crowded but I'd rather have a bunch of fisherman around than the pleasure boaters. They ran circles around me at the end of August and it was a joke. On of the main reasons why I'm going the spring trip. Water might be nippy for water skiing....
SHO-NUFF
Posted 1/27/2015 8:33 PM (#750622 - in reply to #750527)

You're correct--- the Indiana Muskie Classic runs on the weekend of the 15-17th--- which means approximately 40 to 50 extra boats on the lake every day if they get a "full field" for the tourney. If the weather's nice---it won't deter the pleasure boaters either. There could be waverunners ----ski boats---- and who knows what else as well as the everyday pressure from the local fisherpersons----- either way ---there will be plenty of folks to talk to---- it's just the nature of that beast. The good news is that the fish don't care---they still gotta eat. Traditionally ---the most fish are caught day one and then it slows alittle bit after that----- I like night fishing during this time as well with BIG minnow baits---- wait for the tourney traffic to get off the lake for a few hours----then pound all night----- it can be VERY good! Good luck------Pat
GIERAT
Posted 1/28/2015 8:08 AM (#750644 - in reply to #750622)

Hmmm? Might have to adjust my time off now and hit the latter part of the week. -That's just too much traffic - which is what I was trying to get away from! sheesh!
SHO-NUFF
Posted 1/28/2015 12:05 PM (#750676 - in reply to #750511)
Subject: Re: Webster Lake (mid May)

I hear ya----I've fished the tourney weekend several times----not being in the tournament----- the water gets quite frothy---- but the constant activity can be a blessing in disguise too. If you're trying to avoid the traffic--- you may want to come down a week or two after the tourney. The topwater bite should be excellent all the way through the 4th of July. It can be somewhat overwhelming fishing two boat lengths away from everyone else--- I know----I've done it----- but it's always cool to watch everyone's facial expressions when you boat a giant right in front of them. Been on the winning AND losing end of that stick----- still FUN to see giants caught though! Hope this helps----Pat
Simple Man
Posted 1/28/2015 12:30 PM (#750683 - in reply to #750676)

Looking to head that way sometime this spring as well. Would likley get to the area on a Thursday and Fish till late Satruday or possibly mid-morning Sunday. Any recommendations on best time of the spring other than what you've already posted? Also, I would be interested in hearing your recommendation on places to stay etc. Don't need anything fancy at all....possibly even a campsite location or cheap lodging that keeps us close to the water etc... Thanks.
GIERAT
Posted 1/28/2015 2:57 PM (#750709 - in reply to #750683)

Dixie Haven Resort is great. They have 5 rooms and they only charge you $7 to tie your boat up off their piers. Place is right near the water by the big paddle boat.
There is a boat launch right there too! 5 bucks to put in....5 bucks out. They have a website.
SHO-NUFF
Posted 1/29/2015 1:00 PM (#750846 - in reply to #750511)

As previously stated---Dixie Have is nice---- I've also stayed at" the Lodge" motel right in town. As far as when to come in the Spring----- fish start getting caught as soon as the waters are ice free. A few Februarys ago I saw a guy in 41 degree water temp---boat three over 40 inches in about an hour. I personally let them get done "getting busy" before I start chasing them----usually mid-late April to early May----weather dependent of course. The Spring bite usually holds out until late June/ early july----then the waters just get TOO hot. The Spring topwater bite is GREAT----get a flat drizzly day and you're in business! Although I have had fish bust out of the side of 2 foot waves to eat topwaters as well-----THAT is AWESOME! I would expect some LARGE fish out of that SMALL body of water this year----- she's about due to spit out a MONSTER! Good luck---Pat
Simple Man
Posted 1/29/2015 9:39 PM (#750931 - in reply to #750846)

Thanks for the info....much appreciated!
JOHN FALLON
Posted 1/30/2015 7:27 PM (#751099 - in reply to #750511)

Last spring u couldn't beat a hard bodied segmented swim bait on a medium retrieve. Also don't be afraid to jig bondies. Even with 50 And 60 degree water temps. Definitely drag a sucker or two, trust me
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)