Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Biology -> Muskie mortality rates

Message Subject: Muskie mortality rates
Bigolstinkysob
Posted 6/20/2015 5:05 PM (#773338)
Subject: Muskie mortality rates

I was reading an article in muskie hunter on this subject. It was basically saying if you fish long enough you are bound to have one die after the catch. It is probably taboo but just curious if anyone has had one go belly up even after using all best practices? I am sure most will say it should never happen but I am not intrested in that, just curious if it does happen even after you do everything "by the book".
Pat Hoolihan
Posted 6/20/2015 6:38 PM (#773343 - in reply to #773338)
Subject: Re: Muskie mortality rates

Unfortunately it does happen. I know for sure I've killed 1 and quite possibly 2 others. The one I know died absolutely inhaled a bucktail after dark; the only thing sticking out of her mouth was 2" of a 15" leader....the bait was gone and she was bleeding everywhere. The other two got hooks in the gills during the fight....what's a guy to do. Guys that say it "should never happen" have most likely never fished long enough to have the crazy stuff happen. Yes, it sucks when you loose one, but it's going to happen.
MTJ
Posted 6/20/2015 9:02 PM (#773354 - in reply to #773338)

yep, caught two bleeding heavily from a hook under the tounge area, one went belly up right away and i released the other one before it could but pretty sure it didn't make it, too much blood. if you make your own bucktails don't drop that back hook too far past the tinsel, not worth it, really really crappy feeling.
Jeff78
Posted 6/21/2015 4:32 PM (#773431 - in reply to #773354)

We lost a small one last year after it banged its head on the boat. We tried for about a half hour to revive it in the livewell. We ended up putting it in the water under an eagles nest, five minutes later the birds were eating well. First one I had that I know died in about 35 years for me and 20 years for my son.
burningdubs
Posted 6/22/2015 1:45 PM (#773536 - in reply to #773354)

MTJ - 6/20/2015 9:02 PM

yep, caught two bleeding heavily from a hook under the tounge area, one went belly up right away and i released the other one before it could but pretty sure it didn't make it, too much blood. if you make your own bucktails don't drop that back hook too far past the tinsel, not worth it, really really crappy feeling.

Same thing happened to me. Just part of the game!
esoxaddict
Posted 6/22/2015 2:22 PM (#773543 - in reply to #773536)

Never had a floater, but I've had a few that didn't look good when they swam off. One bled a lot, one was in really hot weather, one was snagged in the tail, and #4 never even put up a fight. Seemed half dead from the beginning. It eventually perked up enough to swim away, but I'm not confident that one survived.
ToddM
Posted 6/23/2015 12:07 PM (#773711 - in reply to #773338)

Had a 48 die on us on lsc. Not hooked bad, no extended fight or unhooking process.. Just died right there in the net by the time it was picked up for a photo. Realized it was dead when we set it in the water for release.

Conversely, had a 44 smack itself silly on the side of the boat, did not want to stay upright, then did sat a long time then faded I to the water column. Raised her again on the same bait the next day!

Edited by ToddM 6/23/2015 12:10 PM
curleytail
Posted 7/2/2015 7:29 AM (#774690 - in reply to #773338)

I'm almost certain I had a 44 die a couple years ago. Fought hard - healthy fish. Water was warm but not excessive. I realized it was bleeding some after I picked it up for a photo. Not bleeding a whole lot, and we got it right back in the water. Didn't know where it had been hooked because the bait came out in the net.

Fish seemed bloated when I put it back in the water. Released powerfully but wouldn't stay down and popped back up belly up. Worked with it for about 2 hours, in the lake and in the livewell, untill it finally pretty much lost any strength. Put it in the water and watched it sink (finally was able to burp it and get some air out but was too late).

That's the only one I know of, but I would not be surprised if others had delayed mortality.

I felt terrible about the one that died, but mentioned it on here and many others have lost fish. We do our best to keep them alive but we are sticking hooks in their mouth, throat, and near eyes and gills, and many times taking them out of the water - even if for a short time. Some just aren't going to make it.
mnmusky
Posted 7/4/2015 12:16 PM (#774877 - in reply to #774690)

well.... run a 100 yard dash dragging a 22lb weight as fast as you can. then, jump in the water and hold your breath...or worse yet, have someone force you under water.
How long would you last? A fatso like me would not last long.
Great to see most fish make it, not suprised to see some dont.
happy hooker
Posted 7/7/2015 6:45 PM (#775280 - in reply to #774877)

We need a viable hook mortality study,,I'm betting we find that 1 out of 3 doesn't make it especially ones over 45 inches,,,one of the reasons why some Minnesota lakes aren't what they used to.be after the blitz of 2002.

Edited by happy hooker 7/7/2015 6:57 PM
Will Schultz
Posted 7/8/2015 12:06 PM (#775404 - in reply to #775280)

happy hooker - 7/7/2015 7:45 PM

We need a viable hook mortality study,,I'm betting we find that 1 out of 3 doesn't make it especially ones over 45 inches,,,one of the reasons why some Minnesota lakes aren't what they used to.be after the blitz of 2002.

Angling mortality is not what we once thought it was...
http://www.muskiescanada.ca/articles/Landsman-et-al.-2011-MuskieC&R...

jaultman
Posted 7/8/2015 3:01 PM (#775427 - in reply to #773338)

Very cool study!
Slow Rollin
Posted 7/10/2015 9:17 PM (#775791 - in reply to #775280)

happy hooker - 7/7/2015 6:45 PM

I would agree. I would guess at least 25% of fish caught with water temps around mid 70s or higher die. I would think if its a quick and water released it would lower. But any deeply and badly hooked fish is toast with warmer temps.
Mdamp104
Posted 8/25/2015 1:28 PM (#781875 - in reply to #773343)

Had the same thing happen on the Bay of Green Bay. There is nothing that you can do. This would be the only instance where I would keep the fish if it was big enough is if it died from catching it.
Will Schultz
Posted 8/27/2015 8:15 AM (#782150 - in reply to #775791)

Slow Rollin - 7/10/2015 10:17 PM

happy hooker - 7/7/2015 6:45 PM

I would agree. I would guess at least 25% of fish caught with water temps around mid 70s or higher die. I would think if its a quick and water released it would lower. But any deeply and badly hooked fish is toast with warmer temps.

No need to "guess", the above study answered the question since it included fish captured in water above 70 degrees F...

"Based on radio tracking muskellunge in this study, none of the 30 radio-tagged muskellunge died as a result of the angling event. Our finding of a 0% mortality rate contradicts the 30% figure reported by Beggs et al. (1980)"

Edited by Will Schultz 8/27/2015 8:17 AM
Larry Ramsell
Posted 8/28/2015 9:31 AM (#782267 - in reply to #773338)

The Beggs et al. study was flawed from the git go. It was stated so by such muskellunge greats as Dr. E.J. Crossman and Bob Strand. It's number were based on data whereby the fish were captured and then transported to a lab station and resembled nothing like pure angling catch and release. Sean's study was done the correct way using angler caught fish released at the site of capture. Properly done, catch and release simply WORKS!

I might say, and I don't know if they are still available, but if you don't have super long pliers or a hook grabber or some such tool like a "hook pick" you risk killing BIG, deeply hooked muskies (even those that aren't really hooked, but the hook is down over a gill raker. We saved at least 7 giants this summer that were deeply hooked by having our hook pick at the ready!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)