Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 4 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Triggering Porpoisers

Message Subject: Triggering Porpoisers
NickD
Posted 10/7/2016 8:43 AM (#832557 - in reply to #832555)
Subject: Re: Triggering Porpoisers

I have had a couple follow a burned supermodel. 1 I was able to convert in the 8 and that was a long time ago now. Compared to the how many I have casted at that is an abysmal conversion %. Some lakes the fish just seem to porpoise more. I figure its just about the only time you are 100% certain your bait is landing next to a fish but overall probably not worth it.

I really like the thermo regulation and air intake theories. Logical ideas with science backing them. I wonder if there is more detailed data available of the Elk Lake study that was reported on by In-Fisherman? The premise of that study was fascinating. The way they collected the data could potentially answer these questions?

The idea of the fish just coming up for a look at the air world is possible too. These fish are strange. A few trips before I caught the 1 porpoising fish I had a hot fish up on a burned supermodel. Fish was right up in the bush but just wouldn't eat. In the middle of a straightaway the fish suddenly stops, turns perpendicular to the side of the boat, and tips its tail down and the head comes partially out of the water with the eyes in the air. Sat like that for about 5 seconds staring at us and then paddled away. Bizarre experience.
Sidejack
Posted 10/7/2016 8:45 AM (#832558 - in reply to #832528)

happy hooker - 10/6/2016 5:57 PM
Could they be tweeting,,and not watching where their going like when we sway over on the road shoulder.

My guess is pikemon-go might be the culprit.
ToddM
Posted 10/7/2016 9:33 AM (#832561 - in reply to #830763)

Porpoising muskies are male muskies and are lost. They won't ask for directions. Cast to them, there is usually a very peeex off female just below them.
Will Schultz
Posted 10/7/2016 10:28 AM (#832567 - in reply to #832557)

NickD - 10/7/2016 9:43 AM  I wonder if there is more detailed data available of the Elk Lake study that was reported on by In-Fisherman? The premise of that study was fascinating. The way they collected the data could potentially answer these questions?

The tracking there was just using standard sonic transmitters and there isn't any way to determine movements other than where the fish was at the time i was tracked from day to day. I don't think we're more than ten years away from having access to reasonably sized gps transmitters that will be able to track depth, temp, etc with constant recording. Once those are available it will expand our understanding exponentially.

Reelwise
Posted 10/7/2016 2:05 PM (#832587 - in reply to #830763)

I can tie balloons to a few river Muskies. Rivers are generally shallow and with feeder creeks coming in at different water temperatures - collecting relevant and legitimate data would be a piece of cake

Anyone interested in helping out? Would be a good time chasing them down when it comes time to remove the balloons.

Edited by Reelwise 10/7/2016 2:08 PM
NickD
Posted 10/7/2016 3:00 PM (#832595 - in reply to #832567)

Will Schultz - 10/7/2016 10:28 AM

NickD - 10/7/2016 9:43 AMĀ  I wonder if there is more detailed data available of the Elk Lake study that was reported on by In-Fisherman? The premise of that study was fascinating. The way they collected the data could potentially answer these questions?

The tracking there was just using standard sonic transmitters and there isn't any way to determine movements other than where the fish was at the time i was tracked from day to day. I don't think we're more than ten years away from having access to reasonably sized gps transmitters that will be able to track depth, temp, etc with constant recording. Once those are available it will expand our understanding exponentially.

I thought they were tracking depth of fish with that as well. That's a bummer. I need to re-read that again.
Will Schultz
Posted 10/10/2016 1:57 PM (#832845 - in reply to #832595)

NickD - 10/7/2016 4:00 PM
Will Schultz - 10/7/2016 10:28 AM

NickD - 10/7/2016 9:43 AM  I wonder if there is more detailed data available of the Elk Lake study that was reported on by In-Fisherman? The premise of that study was fascinating. The way they collected the data could potentially answer these questions?

I thought they were tracking depth of fish with that as well. That's a bummer. I need to re-read that again.

Depth was recorded when fish were located by getting over the fish and using the fish finder on the tracking boat. Certainly not perfect but probably safe to assume the fish on the graph was the fish being tracked.

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 4 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)