Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Follows but no strikes what would you do?

Message Subject: Follows but no strikes what would you do?
Hatrackr
Posted 8/31/2015 10:09 AM (#782507)
Subject: Follows but no strikes what would you do?

It's been a rough July/August for me in my first year musky fishing, I haven't seen a fish since late June. Yesterday that changed, I was out all afternoon and moved 4 fish including a giant right around moon rise. All 4 followed to about 5-10 ft from the boat but with the clear water I fish they all spooked when they saw the boat so figure 8ing was not working(I still tried!) I moved all 4 on a 8" black sucker Hellhound working it in a twitch twitch pause action, should I change it to more of a walk the dog action to trigger a strike? Also would getting a few color variations and sizes (8" & 6") be a good idea and possibly get them to eat? I did catch a small northern and had another small one on that I think was a muskie (24" or so) and those fish crushed it when they hit I just need to get the big girls to hit!
pistolpete314
Posted 8/31/2015 10:38 AM (#782513 - in reply to #782507)
Subject: Re: Follows but no strikes what would you do?

Come back during a weather change or yes try a different color/presentation and see if that gets them to eat. Don't just keep trying to pound them either if you get a follow. Throw a few times and then come back during a weather change or after a decent amount of time has elapsed
nick220722
Posted 8/31/2015 12:01 PM (#782530 - in reply to #782507)

I also read quite a bit that you might get a follow on one bait and anglers pick up a rod rigged with a different bait and throw it back over the same spot. Like they follow you on the glide bait but you throw back a bucktail after a follow and it gets hammered. I also read of coming back at different times of the day and getting that fish to eat.
Cloud7
Posted 8/31/2015 1:16 PM (#782543 - in reply to #782507)

I have a buddy who throws the Hellhound pretty religiously. He moves a lot of fish with it, but has those days when they won't bite it no matter what. Couple things I'd consider in your situation:
-Change your retreive, in clear water where the fish is more apt to spook the closer to the boat that it gets I would try to speed your retrieve up as you get closer to the boat, like 10-20 yards out, forcing that cat-and-mouse instinct strike for a fish that might be following.
-Change baits. If you are set up for a jerk bait but your walk-the-dog lures are only getting lookers you could try throwing a dive-and-rise like the suick. You already have the right rod/reel set up and it offers a similar retrieve but completely different action.

-C7
RandalB
Posted 8/31/2015 1:42 PM (#782546 - in reply to #782543)

Fishing mainly on a Clear Lake with a lot of pressure, A lot of the tips so far have had real merit.
To me, It all depends on what kind of follow you are getting. If they are following close , nipping at the bait or come in on it fast and veer off, try a reaction type bait like the above mentioned Suick or another type of dive and rise. I've used the Dyin' Dawg to good effect on these types of fish.
Ripping a Bulldawg, Medussa or Mojoe through the area might also trigger a reaction strike.
If trying a bucktail, speed up for a few cranks and then drop back to normal speed.
Trying at Dawn, Dusk, Major, Minor or Condition change is also a good idea.
Don't give up on that break, work down to the end and work back changing baits. Try something unusual or odd colored, that helps too sometimes.
You've already got half the battle won, you know there are fish there. It's just time to close the deal
RandalB
RJ_692
Posted 8/31/2015 2:28 PM (#782554 - in reply to #782507)

id really focus on your boat side technique and clean up any unwanted movement. I went through the same thing a few years back going from stained to clear pressured water. boat control and casting angle play a huge roll in converting at boat side. start thinking about your lead into the 8 well before you even notice a fish...I sometimes don't see them until the first turn but if you are smooth you will convert
Nershi
Posted 8/31/2015 3:00 PM (#782555 - in reply to #782507)

Hit em at night. Slow roll big blades or creep a loud topwater.

Keep at em. July and early August can be tough.
Hatrackr
Posted 8/31/2015 7:10 PM (#782575 - in reply to #782507)

Sounds like I was doing the right stuff, I threw back a bucktail after moving them but had no response. I also came back through at least an hour later and gave them a go again and after dark I went by that big girl again with a top water. Thanks for the info guys I'm excited to get out next and hit the spots I marked one of these nights I'm gonna connect. Sunday got me all fired up again after a slow couple months!
MidOhioMusky
Posted 8/31/2015 8:17 PM (#782585 - in reply to #782507)

Had a similar situation this past weekend. Went down to the river Friday evening and raised 4 fish 26-32". One followed on a bucktail and 2 more followed me twitching a shad rap. Packed it up and came back Saturday afternoon. I was throwing a bomber long A with a rip and pause retrieve and just missed a 30+ inch fish. About 20 minutes later a 24 incher crushed it about 5 feet from shore. My advice would be to come back on a different day and try a different technique/lure.

Edited by MidOhioMusky 8/31/2015 8:20 PM
nick220722
Posted 8/31/2015 8:23 PM (#782587 - in reply to #782507)

I agree with speeding up your retrieve halfway to the boat. On buck tails you can also move your rod left and right to make the lure come back in a wide s pattern to get the lure changing directions. Also, when you bring the bait back to the boat make that first sweep to the side for your figure 8 each time automatically before pulling the bait out.
tolle141
Posted 8/31/2015 9:40 PM (#782598 - in reply to #782507)

This can be a bit tough over the course of a day, but as the bait approaches the boat I try to get the rod down the fish is looking down, not up. On clear lakes I really like to run my baits as deep as possible
bulldozer18
Posted 9/1/2015 6:15 PM (#782707 - in reply to #782507)
Subject: RE: Follows but no strikes what would you do?

Put the rods away and trailer the boat and head to nearest tavern.
While enjoying favorite beverage contemplate the next outing.
Then go out and attack with different bait from different angle.
If this fails repeat tavern trip and repeat bait change up.
If it fails again then i suggest dynamite. (always worked in past) scoop the one you want photograph with and take pics)

anybody FREAKING JUST RELAX i'm flippn kidding

just come back at them with different tactics until you get them to go

if you keep doing the same things you WILL get the same results
esoxaddict
Posted 9/2/2015 3:10 PM (#782881 - in reply to #782507)

There are things you can do to try to trigger a strike as mentioned above. But if they wanted it they'd have eaten it already. If you're not getting them to eat boatside (and your figure 8 skills are up to par), leave 'em and go find a similar spot. There's the occasional fish you can bring up over and over, but if they aren't eating I'll give them a couple casts with a different style of bait, and then move on. Seems like each time they come up they are less and less interested and eventually won't move at all. IMO you're just burning them if you stay there casting.
FAT-SKI
Posted 9/4/2015 9:42 AM (#783160 - in reply to #782881)

Follows but no strikes what would you do?

---start drinking
rodbender
Posted 9/4/2015 9:54 AM (#783163 - in reply to #783160)

I had a fish this season that I had follow over 20 times over a months time. One nip and one miss in those 20 plus follows. Got it recently on a very windy, choppy day. Got it on same lure it has seen many times.
persistent and timing was the payoff.

Edited by rodbender 9/4/2015 9:56 AM
MuskyMatt71
Posted 9/4/2015 10:29 AM (#783178 - in reply to #782598)

tolle141 - 8/31/2015 9:40 PM

This can be a bit tough over the course of a day, but as the bait approaches the boat I try to get the rod down the fish is looking down, not up. On clear lakes I really like to run my baits as deep as possible

Try this... With the clear water, you may not see them anymore, but they've likely still got an eye on your bait from a ways away. A deep 8 might just surprise you. If not, then throw back rubber.

Edited by MuskyMatt71 9/4/2015 10:33 AM
ffib
Posted 9/5/2015 4:25 AM (#783279 - in reply to #782507)

watch your majors and minors, weather, and barometer. the more changes line up the better. topwater after dark works well for me too
Hatrackr
Posted 9/5/2015 4:35 PM (#783325 - in reply to #782507)

Well I got one to eat this morning, I picked up a 6" bluegill hellhound this week and on about my 10th cast early this morning it got clobbered. She dug deep, took me into the weeds and got off. Less than 100 yards from where I moved the big girl last weekend. The quiet of the morning was shattered with a few 4 letter words. Guess it beats not seeing a fish for 6 weeks! One of these days I'm going to put one in the net
jonnysled
Posted 9/5/2015 6:25 PM (#783335 - in reply to #783325)

throw something they gotta make a decision on ...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)