Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Best camera position

Message Subject: Best camera position
Stranger2bluewater
Posted 7/7/2015 7:35 AM (#775166 - in reply to #775123)
Subject: Re: Best camera position

I can't tell from the picture or info if that is a cigarette lighter adapter. This is like what I have hooked to my battery:

http://www.amazon.com/Conntek-Battery-Cigarette-Lighter-Adapter/dp/...

Then I have something like this plugged into the above:

http://www.amazon.com/Islandoffer-Compact-Charger-Adapter-Android/d...

The input for charging the GoPro is supposed to be 5V 1 mA. If you set it up like this you'd want to make sure to use the slot with the proper power output.
ToothTamer
Posted 7/7/2015 7:41 AM (#775168 - in reply to #775166)

I'll take a photo when I can.

For me it's easy I fish off of a center console with Rod holders on each side of the counsel so I just stick the painter pole on the rod holder and run a bungie cchord over it .
Stranger2bluewater
Posted 7/7/2015 7:43 AM (#775169 - in reply to #774673)

Here is the location of my mount.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMG_1332.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_1332.JPG (70KB - 453 downloads)
ToothTamer
Posted 7/7/2015 8:42 AM (#775177 - in reply to #774673)
Subject: RE: Best camera position

I run mine 7ft up on the pole off the console rod holders.
If the partner lays into one i swivel the cam while scrambling for the net.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Edited by ToothTamer 7/7/2015 8:46 AM
mastical
Posted 7/7/2015 9:42 AM (#775187 - in reply to #774673)

I like that idea.

i mounted mine on my back light pole, it was too far away and not high enough so i couldnt see in the water.

benblonsky
Posted 7/7/2015 11:46 PM (#775324 - in reply to #774673)

what mounts did you guys use to secure it to the top? little scared of the adhesive mounts, bike handle mount work for the painters stick?
horsehunter
Posted 7/8/2015 6:44 AM (#775331 - in reply to #774673)

What stops it from flopping around in a rod holder especially being that high? Do you have to take it down when running to a new spot?
Muskyfreak44
Posted 7/8/2015 11:54 PM (#775491 - in reply to #774998)

Can anyone recommend a polarized lens for the GoPro Hero 3+ Silver?
timhutson1
Posted 7/9/2015 12:23 AM (#775493 - in reply to #775165)

I will try to post a picture soon but what I did is start with a wooster 4-8' pole from home depot. I choose this one since it was pretty solid even when almost fully extended so no worries about adding to shakiness of the camera. Seen here: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Wooster-4-ft-8-ft-Sherlock-Extension-Pol...

I then removed the rubber handle at the butt end. The handle then fits into a scotty rocket launcher rod holder. seen here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004O0J5LM/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?...
The good thing about this is that I can move it all around the boat on the rail system of a lund. It was a bit loose so I had to wrap the end of the handle in some cloth hockey tape. now it doesn't shake/move in the rod holder.

To attach the GoPro I had to remove a screw at the top and remove the paint roller. I was left with a hexagonal metal pipe. I was able to cut down a piece of wood from a 2x4 to hammer down into the pipe and put the screw through to make sure it wasn't going anywhere. Then using a 1/4"-20 hanger bolt like this one: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Crown-Bolt-1-4-in-20-x-1-1-2-in-Plain-Do...
I put that into the wood piece. Next I cut the point off the end sticking up so I can attach this to the top: http://www.amazon.com/Grifiti-Cameras-Holders-Brackets-Photography/...
Then that attaches to this:
http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-GTRA30-Tripod-Mount/dp/B002RCLYXG/ref=s...
The GoPro then attaches to the mount.

Sound like a lot of work but it was actually done in just a few hours of work, a bit more time to plan. I did it this way so I have flexibility as to where I have it on the boat, the height, the exact camera angle, ect. Also, I have it so that I can easily take the pole out of the rod holder then use it to get underwater release shots.

I will try to get pics, sounds more complicated then it is.
timhutson1
Posted 7/9/2015 12:46 AM (#775496 - in reply to #775493)

Pics

Edited by timhutson1 7/9/2015 12:51 AM

(cameramount.jpg)

(cameramount-5.jpg)

(cameramount-6.jpg)

(cameramount-4.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments cameramount.jpg (238KB - 446 downloads)
Attachments cameramount-5.jpg (337KB - 444 downloads)
Attachments cameramount-6.jpg (267KB - 433 downloads)
Attachments cameramount-4.jpg (251KB - 443 downloads)
horsehunter
Posted 7/9/2015 6:25 AM (#775502 - in reply to #774673)

Thanks Tim for the detailed response and pictures......Now I must go shopping.

Edited by horsehunter 7/9/2015 6:34 AM
Muskyfreak44
Posted 7/9/2015 10:23 PM (#775650 - in reply to #775496)

Tim, that is great! You should make them and sell some......
timhutson1
Posted 7/9/2015 10:32 PM (#775651 - in reply to #775650)

Thanks for the complement; not sure if the market exists beyond a few people. But certainly glad to help anyway I can. I hope this helps someone else get some great footage.
lifeisfun
Posted 7/10/2015 4:14 AM (#775661 - in reply to #774673)

Great job Tim!
I'll be another copy cat
Thank you!

Edited by lifeisfun 7/10/2015 4:15 AM
jboutdoorguy
Posted 7/13/2015 7:39 PM (#776131 - in reply to #774673)

Does any body else use a polarized filter for their go pro? If so which one and how well does it work? Any fogging problems or problems with wide setting?
ToothTamer
Posted 7/13/2015 8:18 PM (#776136 - in reply to #776131)

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=10...
timhutson1
Posted 7/14/2015 8:37 AM (#776181 - in reply to #776131)

I just bought the polar pro polarizing filter that fits over the waterproof housing. I will be using it soon and will let you know how it did. So far, I can say that the fit is good and no problem with the wide setting, etc. I did treat both my housing and the filter with a rain-x original on the outer surfaces and rain-x anti fog on the inner surfaces. Hopefully with that I do not have any problems. Again, I will try to remember to post back with how it worked.
jboutdoorguy
Posted 7/14/2015 10:24 AM (#776204 - in reply to #775165)

horsehunter - 7/7/2015 7:32 AM

I also would like to see your mounting ideas. Particularly those using a painters pole I would like to see how it's mounted to the boat and how the camera is mounted to the pole.
Thanks in advance

I don't have any pictures yet but was just tinkering in the garage and here is what I came up with. I have Ram rod holders so I adjusted holder so it was straight up and down then put painters pole inside and attached pole to holder with a plastic zip tie and used the go pro jaws clamp to attach the camera to the pole. Seems like it will work very well and it will be easy to aim with the flex mount of the jaws clamp. Now I just need to figure out what height and where to put it in the boat. Also am hoping I will be able to set up to get both anglers in the shot.
Muskyfreak44
Posted 7/19/2015 4:22 PM (#776879 - in reply to #774673)

Ok guys, I finally have everything I need to bore the heck out of my friends, family and co-workers that do not understand the muskie addiction......at least I think I am ready. This pic shows everything except the two 64 GB Micro SD cards I purchased and the pole to put in the boat and mount the camera to (still deciding how I will do that). Please let me know if I am forgeting something......other than the kitchen sink. Thanks Guys!

(IMG_3023.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_3023.JPG (127KB - 429 downloads)
ToothTamer
Posted 7/19/2015 9:10 PM (#776920 - in reply to #774673)

You listened good man. Looks good
Muskyfreak44
Posted 7/20/2015 12:10 AM (#776932 - in reply to #776920)

Don't tell my wife that! If she ever know that I listen better to you than her.......that would not be good! LOL Thank you for all of your suggestions, I greatly appreciate it!
timhutson1
Posted 7/20/2015 6:50 AM (#776936 - in reply to #776879)

Looks a lot like the pile of stuff I have with me at LOTW right now. We will be heading out soon. I do use even more batteries in a long day and when away on a trip like this and fishing consecutive days, I will have enough chargers so that I only have to switch the batteries in them once for the night.
warhawk
Posted 7/20/2015 9:40 PM (#777071 - in reply to #774673)

I used a Mr Long Arm painters pole. Bought an adapter that screws on to the pole to mount the camera (google search gopro painters pole mount and you should find one). Mounted the pole next to the drivers seat with 2 ram mounts u-bolted to the pole, with the other end of the rams attached to a gunnel grab rail (ubolt) and the other at the bottom of the pole bolted to a compartment in the boat. hope that makes sense...I'd send pics but my boat isn't at home.

For power I bought a Switronix gopro battery adapter with a 10' usb cord that plugs into the 12v cig lighter with any standard usb adapter. The switronix replaces the back cover on the gopro underwater case. its not submersible but it is waterproof. no need to take the camera out of the case at all on the water if you operate the camera with the iphone app. The problem with batteries, or drilling into the go pro case is if you get any moisture at all in that case, the unit fogs up. And the anti-fog tabs they sell you wont fix that. Overall, it gives you continuous power from your boats power system, and you never have to take the camera out of the case.

Just used it for a week on LOTW and it works slick.

sworrall
Posted 7/20/2015 11:50 PM (#777087 - in reply to #774673)

I bought a motorcycle USB and 12 volt waterproof adapter and wired that, my stereo which is also a motorcycle waterproof little model, my underwater camera, and my two VIO POV units from a single glass mat sealed battery that is independent from my deep cycles and start battery. We have as many as 6 cameras running at any one time. Three or four are the Blusmart/Gaoki, two are VIO POV (wireless microphones and 12 volt adapter and mounts are key here) , and a couple are waterproof Polaroid units.

We have a number of mounts we created from pieces and parts. A good option for a single mount is a Frabill lure retriever, adapted for the camera on the business end and a rocket launcher rod holder on the other. Extends a looong way if you wish. Works well for underwater stuff, too.
FISHFINDER101
Posted 7/21/2015 12:01 AM (#777088 - in reply to #774673)

The last capital city musky class I attended in Waunakee I put added this sort of topic as a suggestion for next year's classes. I think an all around class on video and pictures would be great.
Reef Hawg
Posted 7/21/2015 9:16 AM (#777126 - in reply to #774673)

I just purchased a Hero4 package similar to the one shown above(minus the floaty backpac. I picked up two extra 1290 batteries and a 3 bank charger. I typically have access to charging capabilities in any of my boats but would like enough battery for a full day hunting/upcoming AK trip etc/trout fishing, etc. What setting do you typically video/time do you get from a battery/time on a 64g card if you don't have time to edit through the day or don't have it on loop?

Thanks guys for all of the insight. I like the idea of using the lure retriever. I have an old golf ball retriever that is going to get some use..

Edited by Reef Hawg 7/21/2015 9:18 AM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)