Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Holding the Rod and Setting the Hook

Message Subject: Holding the Rod and Setting the Hook
jonnysled
Posted 5/31/2015 9:38 AM (#770715 - in reply to #770713)
Subject: Re: Holding the Rod and Setting the Hook

every rod will "balance" ... adding weight does 2 things ... 1. moves the fulcrum back and 2. adds weight. you can buy rods built by people who know how to build rods or you can phuck with it and think you're smarter than a rod builder but feel good cuz you think it's now "balanced".

jdsplasher
Posted 5/31/2015 1:07 PM (#770742 - in reply to #770713)

Throwing mag dawgs and pounders, you simply do not have many options. longer stiffer rods are what you need to fish these baits effectively . it's common place to hear stories of big fish lost, for one,  Rod does not load up good, and two, big fish simply dig their teeth into this type of bait...dbl negative here

. Too bad bass pro discontinued the Rod balancer...it had 3 ingots which each weighed 1 oz. . I pour my own cigar size ingots to place inside blanks, then also add my Rod balancer to weight (balance Rod ). I also supply a Rod builder with a few from time to time. It's not simply throw some weight in the blank...it must balance like a teeter totter:)

A well balanced Rod should basically balance on one or two fingers straddling your trigger. It feels that good. Make sure your reel that you are going to use on that Rod is mounted before adding weight, as that reel is a factor in balancing.

Top heavy rods take it's toll on your tendons, thus making casting all day a chore. If your not balancing your rods...you should try it...:)

HMMM! I have several rods custom built from some very good Rod builders...all which seem to add weight to the butt end...

Edited by jdsplasher 5/31/2015 1:29 PM
Jeremy
Posted 6/1/2015 11:01 PM (#770946 - in reply to #770476)

All this balancing stuff sounds wonderful.

But what happens when you add all sorts of varied baits???

I've got some pretty nice eqpt. -- just never worried about the "balancing" deally. Seems to work great, for an FNG - fanoogie....:-))
jdsplasher
Posted 6/2/2015 5:00 PM (#771047 - in reply to #770946)

^ The Water balances your lures very nicely:)  ^

Edited by jdsplasher 6/2/2015 5:02 PM
esoxaddict
Posted 6/2/2015 6:10 PM (#771055 - in reply to #771047)

I know a lot of guys swear by this. I don't get it. Lures have all different weights. We use all sorts of different retrieves. Reels are all different weights. Some guys palm the reel. Some guys hold the foregrip.

It makes sense in theory. But I'm still not sure I get it.
Moltisanti
Posted 6/3/2015 10:35 AM (#771147 - in reply to #770476)

Could be that the problem is not the grip, hookset, balance of the rod, the lure or any of that.

Maybe you aren't bringing the fight to the fish. Set the hook at a low, sideways angle, one-time, and drag the bastard's head underwater. Lead it to where you want to go with constant pressure and keep the rod absolutely loaded at all times. You catch more muskies by horsing them too much than trying to slow roll them in like you're rigging walleyes on 6 lb test.
jbuck7
Posted 6/3/2015 11:50 AM (#771166 - in reply to #770476)
Subject: RE: Holding the Rod and Setting the Hook

I palm the Reel with my Left hand rod under my left arm finger on the Rod trigger with drag set loose enough for fish to take line on a slam. When the fish hits I put my left thumb on spool to stop it move my right arm to fore-grip and give it a good set.
Zib
Posted 6/3/2015 12:48 PM (#771172 - in reply to #770542)

jonnysled - 5/29/2015 5:19 PM
Zib - 5/29/2015 1:34 PM

muskie! nut - 5/29/2015 9:29 AM I am surprised that the 1st posters forgot to mention that holding your rod with the dominate hand would also be better than with the other. How is it that you can address foregrip vs palming and not say a word about dominate arm vs nondomiate arm?

Yep, it makes a difference. When I switched from a righty reel to a lefty reel my hook-up to landing ratio improved a good 50%+.

A long rod takes up more line on the hook set but you have less torque & less leverage with the longer rod. 

ummmm ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HuxmF_1Z90

I had the same reaction as you when Larry Dalhberg had told me that a shorter rod has more leverage but I was thinking of it backwards. Like when you are loosening a nut on your car, a longer wrench will give you more leverage because you are applying force on the end opposite the pivot point (where the wrench is on the nut). With fishing the pivot point is where you're holding the rod & the fish is applying the force on the other end. The fish has more leverage against you with a longer rod but less leverage against you with a shorter rod. If a longer rod gave fishermen more leverage then you wouldn't see those tuna guys using those short rods.

Flambeauski
Posted 6/3/2015 1:10 PM (#771178 - in reply to #770476)

If tuna fisherman are casting instead of trolling they use longer rods. How much time do you spend casting for muskies vs. fighting them?
As to weighting a rod for balance, to properly balance a rod to cast pounders you need to add like 30 oz.
Leverage in casting comes from several things, having your hands the right distance apart is the biggest.
KBL
Posted 6/21/2015 5:23 AM (#773376 - in reply to #770476)

@horsehunter:
Wich kind of bait do you use when you work without hookset?
Work that with every kind of bait? Or only with hard baits like blades, spoons and crankbaits. Is there no problem with big rubber baits that the fish can grab hard with his teeth?
fishpoop
Posted 6/21/2015 6:03 AM (#773378 - in reply to #770476)

I've done quite a bit of trolling over the years. Here I'm allowed to use only 1 line so when I troll I just hold the rod rather than use a rodholder. I can be trolling along with a multihook crankbait with very sharp hooks at anywhere from 2 to 6+ m.p.h. and a fish will hit the lure, about tear my arm out of it's socket, and still not hook up and get off. You would think that a fish hitting a lure like that at that speed would HAVE TO hook up... but sometimes they don't.

With this in mind, I don't think how you hold your rod while casting and setting the hook is going to make that much of a difference in the long run. You could do everything perfectly and still not hook up.

Fish get off, it happens... it's ok to cuss a lot or even cry a little.

Edited by fishpoop 6/21/2015 6:17 AM
tolle141
Posted 6/22/2015 8:42 AM (#773473 - in reply to #770476)

Sharpened hooks don't always solve the problem, but they can compensate for bad hooksets. I used to lose a lot of fish. Now I'm constantly touching my hooks and rarely miss fish *knock on wood*
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)