Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Musky in Captivity

Message Subject: Musky in Captivity
MartinTD
Posted 8/4/2020 11:30 AM (#964985 - in reply to #768978)
Subject: Re: Musky in Captivity

Wildwood Wildlife Park in Minocqua has muskies in the pond outside the entrance. We were there with the kids a few weeks ago and can't say I saw any but the sign clearly states it is a musky pond. I would estimate it's about a .25 acre pond, who knows how deep. If you call them and talk with the right person they may be able to provide some insight.

Now I see the OP was fromo 2015. Either the guy tried it or moved on from the idea.

Edited by MartinTD 8/4/2020 11:33 AM
NPike
Posted 8/4/2020 4:52 PM (#964988 - in reply to #964985)

MartinTD - 8/4/2020 12:30 PM

Wildwood Wildlife Park in Minocqua has muskies in the pond outside the entrance. We were there with the kids a few weeks ago and can't say I saw any but the sign clearly states it is a musky pond. I would estimate it's about a .25 acre pond, who knows how deep. If you call them and talk with the right person they may be able to provide some insight.

Now I see the OP was fromo 2015. Either the guy tried it or moved on from the idea.

If water's cool enough thru the summer heat and perhaps is spring fed and can't freeze down it's possible they could survive in the pond if well fed. I've seen a few small lakes i.e.: Casasdagua that support a natural musky population but were taking > 200 acres

Edited by NPike 8/4/2020 4:55 PM
Lester Neigard
Posted 8/5/2020 1:04 AM (#964994 - in reply to #768978)

To follow up on my post that was revived, my FORMER fishing partner and I had a great disagreement about this because he wanted to keep some and give them to Bass Pro to put in their aquariums. Many, many years ago, I heard muskies did not do well in captivity, but I was looking for some kind of evidence to be able to show him. Sadly, he had to learn the hard way. He turned a few over to the BP aquarium personnel, but they couldn’t get them to survive. This all went down about five years ago, and he has not been on my boat since (we used to fish a couple times a week together).
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)