Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> 2013-My first year chasing Muskies

Message Subject: 2013-My first year chasing Muskies
WildNWonderful
Posted 1/3/2014 1:02 PM (#682162)
Subject: 2013-My first year chasing Muskies

I'd been fishing my whole life and like many anglers, I'd caught a Muskie
or two while fishing for other species. Those Muskies had really stuck in
the back of my mind. They appeared vicious, extremely hard to catch and nearly mythical. I had caught a lot of nice fish but found myself always flashing back to compare my current catches to those two Muskie encounters of the past.

In 2013, I finally decided it was time to tackle the fish that haunted me.
After some online research (which included this forum in heavy doses), I geared up with a small budget and decided to give it my all. There would be no more Crappie, Catfish or Bass fishing. I would only Muskie fish and within
a year, I'd know for sure if Muskies were for me.

At the beginning of March, I caught and released my first legitimate Muskie. It was a whopping 26 inches long but the way it T-Boned a Black/Silver 6" Jake left me with a big feeling of victory! Muskie fishing suddenly seemed possible.

I knew time on the water was the main factor in catching any fish, so I fished almost every evening, trying to apply what information I could gather as I went along. Two weeks passed since that first fish. I stuck a couple of nice Bass but no Muskies. 30 days passed and still no Muskies.

The first week of April slipped by and I began to feel like Muskie fishing might just be out of my league. I had spent hours and hours on lakes and rivers alike with no success in sight. Finally, on the evening of April 8th of that year, it happened!

I was working a White/Silver 6" Jake across a lay down tree in a small, muddy river, when it was suddenly ambushed and the muddy water began to boil. After a short but intense battle, I landed really healthy 40" fish. I set the timer on my camera for a quick picture and released her back into the river. I was shaking so intensely that my knees where actually knocking together. I had to sit down! I was on cloud nine in a way that fishing had never shown me before. I couldn't believe I had been thinking of canning my whole plan of Muskie fishing!

As 2013 rolled along, I had become completely immersed in the world of
Muskie fishing. I met all kinds of amazing folks along the way and learned
a lot from all of them. I began to catch fish a little more often and every evening I would be filled with anticipation as I hit the water to go after Muskies.

The day after Christmas, I finished out with another healthy 40" inch fish.
She ate a Pink/White Super D in deep, muddy water. I caught 24 Muskies over 30" with the largest being in its mid-forties. Considering I spent almost every evening on the water, 24 is a number I'm hoping to improve upon in 2014.

It's good to meet everyone here! My name is Randall and I think I'm addicted to Muskie fishing.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Muskies13.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Muskies13.jpg (94KB - 165 downloads)
adubs
Posted 1/3/2014 1:39 PM (#682174 - in reply to #682162)
Subject: RE: 2013-My first year chasing Muskies

HI RANDALL!

My name is Aaron and I too am a new addict to muskie fishing. my story is a little different though because I actually grew up muskie fishing. Caught my first "legal" muskie at 7 yrs of age on a green creeper! (32"release, I have the muskie's inc plaque at home still). My dad was a big musky fisherman back in the 80's and 90's but it tailed off when we (myself and two older brothers) got older and went to college. (also, my dad had health issues...two hip replacements and a fused back in his 50's along with beating cancer!)

Long story short we got the taste back in our mouths when my brother landed a fat 48" on the chippewa flowage the first morning any of us had spent musky fishing in years! That was 3 years ago...I then bought a bass boat which was recently replaced with a ranger reata 210VS, and just in the last year I've purchased 85 baits, 4 rod and real setups, and I spent a week on LOTW last year up at mylies place! It was a great year and a very dissapointing year at the same time. I lost a low 50's class fish on that trip after it was already in the net! My brother netted it for me and as he lifted the rim out of the water the fish did a croc death roll and literally bent the hooks straight leaving them in the net as she rolled out I had a lot of great encounters but certainly didn't boat as many fish as I was hoping for that week or the other hand full of times I got out. (northern WI) I did net a nice 49" and 45" on that trip for my dad and brother and we caught a total of 12 that week so now its game on! We resceduled with mylies for next year right away and I'm certainly looking forward to it! This sport is a lot like archery elk hunting in the fact that it's crazy addicting and really expensive!!! Absolutely love them both

good luck,

Adubs
jonnysled
Posted 1/3/2014 1:41 PM (#682175 - in reply to #682174)
Subject: Re: 2013-My first year chasing Muskies

some nice chunky fish in those pice … Congrats!!
WildNWonderful
Posted 1/3/2014 1:44 PM (#682177 - in reply to #682174)

Good to meet you Aaron. You're in the right place to catch the Monsters! I hope someday to make it up North and go after the big ones. I still need to put in some time on my local water but someday...
esoxaddict
Posted 1/3/2014 1:46 PM (#682178 - in reply to #682162)

Man, those are some chunkers.

Congratulations on your first season!

Chuckin Baits
Posted 1/3/2014 1:58 PM (#682179 - in reply to #682162)

I'd say you had a pretty awesome first season! The top right picture is a beast no matter where it was caught. Good luck this year, let us know how you do.
achotrod
Posted 1/3/2014 2:57 PM (#682195 - in reply to #682162)

Welcome and Congrats on your first season! Hell of a lot better than mine!

Edited by achotrod 1/3/2014 3:49 PM
Cody
Posted 1/3/2014 6:44 PM (#682262 - in reply to #682162)

Wow real nice fish ! Doing better than me ! Congrats
backdraft
Posted 1/3/2014 7:26 PM (#682266 - in reply to #682162)

Top right picture - how big is you Jon Boat. I was thinking of getting one to fish those out of the way places. Also...is that a spinning rod?
bigbite
Posted 1/3/2014 7:34 PM (#682268 - in reply to #682162)

Welcome Randall. There are a lot of good folks here with a ton of experience. Listen up and you'll learn a lot.
Sidejack
Posted 1/3/2014 8:35 PM (#682277 - in reply to #682162)

Thanks so much for sharing this great story & the fantastic pictures, Randall!

Brought back memories of getting hooked on muskies while fishing bass many years ago.
They'd charge out of the pads, stopping just beyond the edge so we could see them or shoot completely out of the water after our spoons/worms, spinnerbaits, etc. Before I knew it, my friends and I were buying large reels, rods, and as many baits as our paychecks & relationships would allow.

3 divorces later, we're all still happily addicted.

WildNWonderful
Posted 1/3/2014 8:51 PM (#682279 - in reply to #682266)

backdraft - 1/3/2014 8:26 PM

Top right picture - how big is you Jon Boat. I was thinking of getting one to fish those out of the way places. Also...is that a spinning rod?

I have a little 12 footer. It gets me into a lot of tight spots but it's a real pain in the wind! And (haha) that is a spinning rod. It's an Ugly Stik Big Water paired with a Sedona 4000 series. So far, it's handled every Muskie I've been lucky enough to hook. I spool it with 80 lb braid and it casts a country mile. I feel like it gives me advantages in some of the smaller water I fish. Sometimes I'm literally just pitching baits. A couple of my buddies have much nicer baitcasters and try to get me to see how it feels. I haven't tried yet because I'm afraid I'd like it! For now, I don't wanna know.

And thanks, all! I probably won't have much to say on here but I'll be listening hard and hope to give a decent fishing report here and there.

Edited by WildNWonderful 1/3/2014 9:01 PM
JKahler
Posted 1/4/2014 1:13 AM (#682318 - in reply to #682162)

Congrats on a good first season!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)