Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Getting Older

Message Subject: Getting Older
Junkman
Posted 11/12/2012 7:37 AM (#597400 - in reply to #597395)
Subject: Re: Getting Older

At 63 and wanting very much to go toe-to-toe with the young sticks out there, I am in constant search of finding any little way where an equipment change can narrow the growing gap between what I can do, and what they can do. Buying the better lenses that are out there is just the tip of the iceberg. Maximizing even little things like line choice can increase my casting distance without expending more energy. Saltwater trolling reels that are a pain in the butt to learn to cast with, can allow my to retrieve at warp speed with the gear system in the reel taking the fatigue instead of me. Nine foot wonder rods like St. Croix's "Big Nasty" allow me to cast farther with only a feather weight to hold, and get me down deep for deadly figure eights that I can no longer bend over to do for more than a handful of casts. Even the big Ranger I drive gives me a comfortable platform to stand on, smoothing out the chop that requires better legs to withstand. In short, while getting older is only a good choice when compared to the alternative, there are all sorts of things to do that will help you cheat the inevitable. I'd be curious to hear from the other "boomers" out there and what you do to beat the effects of Father Time!
ironmike
Posted 11/12/2012 9:47 AM (#597427 - in reply to #596891)

At 69yrs. I also have changed my fishing. I guess you can call them grandpa googles, bought them at Cabela's. the clip on's leave in to much side light, the sun reflection can be bad. I guess I throw lots of smaller baits, use a revo toro winch, & have the longer rods. I fish out of a 19'6" Stratos & I am sitting down up front in a tall seat. I have been nicknamed the Bill Dance of muskie fishing. I live on musky water so can fish anytime, but usually limit myself to about 3 hrs. & always use the moon patterns. I also use a high speed real with a power crank to work glide baits rather than standing & jerking the rod, I do it with the reel & it works good. My other passion is teaching kids & older people how to muskie fish. I give fishing trips away to different charity auctions & have gotten many people there 1st muskie. I relate to many things Marty, the junkman has said.
Flambeauski
Posted 11/12/2012 11:46 AM (#597454 - in reply to #596891)

I've had poor vision my whole life and got Lasik a few years ago. Unbelievable. If you are eligible for Lasik, get it. If you snowmobile, fish, camp, swim, anything outdoors. Glasses and lenses are such a handicap. You lose them, break them, get fogged up and you're lost. If you couldn't hear or smell you'd do whatever it takes to get those senses back.
Best move I ever made, it is THAT good.
muskyhunter47
Posted 11/13/2012 5:34 PM (#597778 - in reply to #596891)

i would have liked to get lasik but cant i have to have 20/30 or better in both eyes near and far. lasik they do one eye for far and one eye for near so that would not work for me
Flambeauski
Posted 11/15/2012 2:04 PM (#598106 - in reply to #597778)

muskyhunter47 - 11/13/2012 5:34 PM

i would have liked to get lasik but cant i have to have 20/30 or better in both eyes near and far. lasik they do one eye for far and one eye for near so that would not work for me

Not if you don't want them to. Both my eyes were 20/15 24 hours after the surgery.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)