Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> St. Croix Premier PM610MF Question.

Message Subject: St. Croix Premier PM610MF Question.
Ruddiger
Posted 7/23/2012 7:33 PM (#573393)
Subject: St. Croix Premier PM610MF Question.

Howdy,

I'm looking for some information on this rod and was hoping someone could help with some real world applications.

I'm looking for a muskie rod that I can use mostly for my pike trips. Ideally I would want to be able cast up to 9 inch suicks, 10 inch believers, hell puppies and 9 inch bulldawgs. I would also like to be able to cast small bucktails as well as one ounce cranks.

On paper the rod cant do it as its rated for 2 ounces and some of these lures are pushing 4 ounces. However, the ability of their rods to cast much more weight than advertised is well documented. While I know stepping up to a heavier rod would easily handle these lures I am trying to stay with a softer rod that would throw these lures, while also allowing me to enjoy the fight with small to medium sized pike.

Thanks in advance for any insights you have on this rod.

Take care,

Ruddiger
CU301DSV
Posted 7/24/2012 9:03 AM (#573509 - in reply to #573393)
Subject: Re: St. Croix Premier PM610MF Question.

I spent some time yesterday casting a 4.2oz Legend Perch bait with my St.Croix LT Long Ranger LTMU86MHF (rated 3/4-3), casted a St.Clair Hound Elite series this morning (heavier than the 2.9oz DCG, probably 3.5oz), I have thrown the 9" 4.6oz bulldawgs with this rod as well as just yesterday was casting the Shadzilla with it. I have a buddy that uses his 7'2 All Purpose MM72MHF St.Croix Mojo (3/4-3) much the same way as I described using my St.Croix Long Ranger. I would suggest the above mentioned Mojo or in a Premier the All Purpose 7' MH rated for 3/4-3oz, PM70MHF.
Flambeauski
Posted 7/24/2012 10:35 AM (#573551 - in reply to #573393)

Agreed. I think you'd really like the rod for everything but the suicks. Just too soft for them IMO, casts them fine but working them and setting hooks not so much. Go with a mhf. Or don't throw 9" suicks.
northern
Posted 8/12/2012 3:11 PM (#577626 - in reply to #573393)

The PM610MHF is just to light for what you want to cast,
The casting would be great but bringing the baits to action would be a disaster.
Owned one sold it, to lifht for my piking.

I think the 10" believers are the heaviest to fish back in an atractive manner.

Like CU301DSV said,
The PM70MHF wil do just fine or the PM76MHF for a bit more lenght.
These rods bent with a decent pike on the business end, cast magnum bulldawgs as wel and can speed up youre believers.

muskyhunter34
Posted 8/12/2012 8:38 PM (#577672 - in reply to #573393)
Subject: RE: St. Croix Premier PM610MF Question.

I would look at lamiglas if i were you. Lammys have a much softer tip compared to a croix, even at the XH model.

Do yourself a favor and check out the XH 7 foot lammy muskie rod. I could easily work all of those lures you mentioned with it and get good bait action. It would be great for suicks, believers, etc. It will do the bucktails and spinnerbaits, but there are better choices just for those.

Check to see if they have that rod in a H.

my two cents.......Rob
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)