Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Suick Hooks

Message Subject: Suick Hooks
Mike D
Posted 5/23/2012 12:23 PM (#561458)
Subject: Suick Hooks

I've only been seriously muskie fishing for about 3 years so I'm still learnin how to use a lot of baits. Started using Suicks last fall and was very successful but lost a few fish as well. This spring I've lost 2 including what sure looked like a PB from close up. So while I've caught 5 fish on suicks in the last 6-7 months I've lost 5. From what I see the fish is t-boning the bait hard and I'm setting hooks hard. Yet after one or two head shakes it seems like I'm pulling the bait right out of their mouths and their gone.

1) Hooks are sharpened often (gap in hooks seem short to me but larger hooks will grab & stick to the side of the bait)
2) Middle and back Hooks lock up on 50% of my casts which makes larger hooks not a option
3) Theory/Question - Am I losing these fish due tot he hooks being locked up when they hit the bait?
4) I've heard the term "T your hooks" meaning cut off one in the middle to reduce the lock ups.
5) Thinking of removing middle hook and replacing front and back hooks with larger hooks.

What do you think? Any experiences, insights, help or suggestins are are appreciated.

Thanks!
kodiak
Posted 5/23/2012 12:53 PM (#561471 - in reply to #561458)
Subject: Re: Suick Hooks

Eagle claw 774 I have been told
FAT-SKI
Posted 5/23/2012 1:15 PM (#561477 - in reply to #561458)
Subject: RE: Suick Hooks

I started using Suicks last fall as well. I also had good success. Only lost one last season on the suicks. I remove the rear hook in most cases. I learned that from a guy before starting to use them in the first place. It seems that I have very few lock ups (not that I would know what the difference was, never fished em with the back hook on). It still does happen but not that often. Also when you remove the back hook it gives you some open options to mess around adding a teaser tail to it, or something to that extent. I do know of some people that remove only the middle hook though and that works well for them.
pamuskyhunter
Posted 5/23/2012 1:26 PM (#561481 - in reply to #561458)

Mike D - 4) I've heard the term "T your hooks" meaning cut off one in the middle to reduce the lock ups!

Ting your hooks does not mean cutting off the middle. Here is a pic of a t eed hook...

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(100_0298.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 100_0298.JPG (101KB - 139 downloads)
Esox-Hunter
Posted 5/23/2012 2:03 PM (#561488 - in reply to #561458)

774s T'ed are really good!
Posted 5/23/2012 3:22 PM (#561508 - in reply to #561481)

pamuskyhunter - 5/23/2012 1:26 PM

Mike D - 4) I've heard the term "T your hooks" meaning cut off one in the middle to reduce the lock ups!

Ting your hooks does not mean cutting off the middle. Here is a pic of a t eed hook...

OK, that makes sense. Thanks for the picture.

I may opt for removing the back hook. I'll experiment with both strategies. Hopefully not loosing any fish in the process...
TheMuskyMan
Posted 5/23/2012 3:40 PM (#561511 - in reply to #561508)

Take off the back hook and replace the front 2 with 6/0 774's t'd and you should be set. Also if you wanna add a lil more flash add a blade to it...
Posted 5/23/2012 8:40 PM (#561583 - in reply to #561458)

put big single hook trokars on there... you wont even have to set the hook

shouldnt change the action of a 9 inch much maybe need to add a bit of screw in weight... been planning on doing this with some glide baits to i hate loosing fish on glides
fish4musky1
Posted 5/24/2012 8:19 AM (#561637 - in reply to #561458)

I also put a large single hook on the back. Started last season and already have had a couple pinned on that back hook only.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)