Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> any kayakers out there?

Message Subject: any kayakers out there?
fish4musky1
Posted 2/26/2011 6:01 PM (#484027)
Subject: any kayakers out there?

I just bought my first kayak today and am super pumped. I can't wait to get out on the local river and chase some smallies this spring. I got a wilderness systems ripper, I know it's not designed for angling but it is a sit on top and supposed to be quite stable. I'm also fishing a smaller river and won't be going over rapids. It was $425 new but I paid $200 for it at gander with the scratch off sale they had going on.

Anyway, I will most likely spend some time chasing some muskie in it as well. Does anyone cast for muskies out of a kayak? How have you done and any tips for a beginner?
Fiedler
Posted 2/27/2011 6:14 AM (#484071 - in reply to #484027)
Subject: Re: any kayakers out there?

I don't fish from a kayak but I do know that some on here do. I did a search and found this thread and there are some more also.
http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=56... fishing&highlightmode=1#M425455
greenduck
Posted 2/27/2011 1:03 PM (#484120 - in reply to #484027)
Subject: RE: any kayakers out there?

Hey,

Fished all last summer out of one. Get yourself a good anchor made for kayaks. Worth every penny and not too heavy to have along. Can hold position in current to hit good spots. I also got a good dry box for keys, cell phone, etc. Be prepared to get to spots few others see or visit. Lot more wildlife and peace and quiet. Could say a lot more but will leave it at that. Have fun.
greenduck
Posted 2/27/2011 1:09 PM (#484121 - in reply to #484120)

....also be careful if you fish any lakes near dark. Low profile of the kayak blends in and people don't see you real well. I saw a company in Portland, Org. this past summer that makes a mountable light with a suction cup you can snap on near dark. Good luck.
musky slut
Posted 2/28/2011 8:29 AM (#484250 - in reply to #484027)

If you get snagged on the bottom be careful how hard you pull/jerk........ If your line snaps , its head over heels time .
Muskie Treats
Posted 2/28/2011 8:37 AM (#484252 - in reply to #484027)

I haven't tried it for muskies but I fish out of them for smallies on Lake Michigan as well as dorado out on the Baja. It's a lot of fun but they're a pain to fish from. Boat control is the most challenging part out of fishing out of one. Get yourself the smallest driftsock you can find (or better yet make one). Throw that out the back and you can effectively drift fish. Usually after a week of fishing out of one I'm screaming for my bass boat.
Sam Ubl
Posted 3/1/2011 8:42 AM (#484433 - in reply to #484027)

I borrowed a kayack to take into the flooded woods to set my treestands for this coming fall... Thinking the deer won't smell me this time Land has a creek and a couple OLD irrigation ditches running through it, all connected and ultimately connected to a river that borders land - always floods EARLY spring then drys for remainder of the season. First time for everything, and kayacking into the woods to set a treestand was a first for me... Didn't see any musky... Weird.
muskyjerk
Posted 3/1/2011 4:25 PM (#484542 - in reply to #484027)

Starting my 6th year on kayak and 4th w/ muskie focus. I caught my first kayak musky my first weekend.
Folbe rod holders are a must w/ long handled rods when trolling. Short list of tools needed- boca grip style lip gripper, basic release tools (long handled pliers, jaw spreader, superfabric gloves.
Trolling is a good way to start. Casting is best done with jerkbaits, jigs and topwaters. Plugs and big spinners(in-line and safety pin) seem to pull alot and I loose cast distance from the kayak travelling (anchor tip may help, I just don't like the fight w/ anchor out).
best tip I have is bring a pee jar. a real lifesaver!
Ask any questions and I'll be happy to answer.
muskyjerk
Posted 3/1/2011 6:49 PM (#484580 - in reply to #484027)

Add a headlamp and a telescopic lure retriever. Most lines for musky may not snap.
fish4musky1
Posted 3/1/2011 8:47 PM (#484614 - in reply to #484027)

Great info guys, thanks! My plans now are to travel as light as possible. Since I will be fishing a river, if I do hook a muskie, it will only be a quick paddle to shore where I could get out and land it. I am super excited to try it out!
pittsburghpa
Posted 3/1/2011 10:32 PM (#484636 - in reply to #484027)

was looking into kayaks with a focus for musky/pike fishing... seen some standup ones. The Freedom Hawk Kayaks with an outrigger system or the Wavewalk W500. Both are $$$ but sitting down for almost a whole day kills a back in that position. Anyone have any experience or suggestions
fish4musky1
Posted 3/1/2011 11:41 PM (#484643 - in reply to #484636)

check this out

Edited by fish4musky1 3/1/2011 11:45 PM
musky slut
Posted 3/2/2011 8:22 AM (#484669 - in reply to #484027)

The Jackson is not a bad boat for what it was made for but it is not very good for larger open waters. It has too mush bow rocker and does not stay online very well . It is better for smaller rivers. Overall it is a slow boat .
muskyjerk
Posted 3/2/2011 12:33 PM (#484700 - in reply to #484027)

I don't recommend shore landing muskies from a kayak. The fish really react to touching shallow bottoms and have an increased risk of injury on the shore as well. From the kayak in deeper water the fish is more relaxed. The time getting out of the kayak increases these risks. Paddle yourself into slack or slower flowing water.
Just a suggestion from personal experience.
Musky Punch
Posted 3/4/2011 10:51 AM (#485072 - in reply to #484700)

The coosa looks pretty good. I'll be fishing smaller lakes, and rivers. specifically fishing, no intense rapids or anything. The Coosa or Freedom Hawk Kayak 12' are the ones that catch my attention. I really think the FH yak is so unique with the outrigger system, and would be pretty stable when standing up. I know I could get a decent fishing yak for about 500-600 bucks but in the long run, I think it'll be best to dish out a little more money in order to stand up and fish.

Heres the Freedom Hawk Kayak: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfp1Rp_tmwQ)

Edited by Musky Punch 3/4/2011 11:00 AM
muskyjerk
Posted 3/4/2011 2:02 PM (#485115 - in reply to #484636)

pittsburghpa - 3/1/2011 10:32 PM

was looking into kayaks with a focus for musky/pike fishing... seen some standup ones. The Freedom Hawk Kayaks with an outrigger system or the Wavewalk W500. Both are $$$ but sitting down for almost a whole day kills a back in that position. Anyone have any experience or suggestions

I'm a fellow yinzer. I have a wilderness systems pungo which is a sit in. Reclining the seat back has relieved back pain episodes. I've gone dawn to dusk (pee jar is really important) w/out getting out of the kayak and been fine with a slight recline.
steve
Posted 3/4/2011 8:29 PM (#485182 - in reply to #484027)

I've been fishing out of kayaks and canoes for 15+ years. I've always liked the accessibility that they provide, particularly on undeveloped launching areas. As someone noted, you can fish areas few others can get to. Last year I bought a Hobie Pro Angler. This kayak is quite a bit wider than most but offers unbelievable stability. I can comfortably stand and cast large bucktails and bulldogs. The baits have enough resistance that I can propel and steer the kayak by how I retrieve the baits. I bought the Hobie Pro Angler for several reasons including stability, comfortable seat, mirage drive foot power drive, rod racks, and storage compartments. I was not the least disappointed in any of these features. I also used the kayak as platform to flyfish for muskies. Unfortunately, I didn't catch any on flies so I have a goal for this coming season.

Steve
yakadabbado
Posted 3/20/2011 3:00 PM (#487981 - in reply to #484027)

Anyone have any experience with the Hobie Mirage Outback? It has the pedal system in it, I think its a very sweet design. And having the ability to possibly troll hands-free??? Pretty cool! Lots of cash though
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)