Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Pewaukee Ice Out

Message Subject: Pewaukee Ice Out
Steve Van Lieshout
Posted 3/26/2010 4:29 PM (#431245)
Subject: Pewaukee Ice Out

Yesterday was a good day.
The ice went out on Pewaukee. Spring has sprung!
Has the ice gone out on you lakes yet?

The other spring tradition is going to the bridge on the frontage road along Hwy. 16 just below the dam on Okauchee Lake to watch the dozens of muskies swimming in the pool directly below the dam after they have come upstream from Oconomowoc Lake. Sunny days this time of year with polarized glasses can show you dozens of muskies in that tiny little pool. The weatherman is calling for warm and sunny all next week. It definitely is time for a road trip!

Edited by Steve Van Lieshout 3/26/2010 4:38 PM
bobtodd
Posted 3/26/2010 5:15 PM (#431249 - in reply to #431245)
Subject: Re: Pewaukee Ice Out

I heard possible 70 degrees next week in WI.
PSYS
Posted 3/26/2010 8:02 PM (#431266 - in reply to #431249)

bobtodd - 3/26/2010 5:15 PM I heard possible 70 degrees next week in WI.

Yep!  Next week Wednesday looks like it could be a warm one! 

MUSKYLUND1
Posted 3/27/2010 5:00 PM (#431380 - in reply to #431245)

I took my 4 year old daughter to see the muskies below the dam on Okauchee Lake. She loves to fish and wants to catch a musky. She can't wait until we go fishing this year. How cool is that?

We saw several muskies (at least 6 or 8). The smallest one I saw was probably 40" and the biggest were definitely in the mid to upper 40" class. Kind of cool and windy out there, but definitely worth it.
Netman
Posted 3/28/2010 5:53 AM (#431460 - in reply to #431245)

I've been working on the boat for the past week trying to swap motors from a 85hp to a 115hp. There's been some bumps and bruises along the way but I hope to have it on Pewaukee by Thursday with the 70deg temps. Getting a good itch now with the reels all reworked and the boat getting ready, I might just have to slide down and pre-fish that Fox Chain for the May IRONMAN. I never been on that chain so maybe it wouldn't be to bad of an idea, hey from what they say I could catch a tagged Pewaukee fish.
Uhm sounds pretty good cure for the itch........

Netman
Steve Van Lieshout
Posted 4/1/2010 12:04 PM (#432382 - in reply to #431245)

I stopped by the Okauchee Dam Frontage Road late this morning. I saw 27 muskies from a singular little guy of about 30" with the majority being in the low to mid 40" class.
We have not had any recent rain and we lost our snow cover long ago, so there is little more than a trickle of water coming from under the dam, which makes your viewing very easy on warm sunny days.
Bring your polarized glasses and watch out for the car traffic around the bridge.

Edited by Steve Van Lieshout 4/1/2010 12:05 PM
fish4musky1
Posted 4/1/2010 9:19 PM (#432510 - in reply to #431245)

just wondering, is there ever a problem of people trying to catch/ snag them.
Netman
Posted 4/2/2010 5:55 AM (#432557 - in reply to #431245)

I sure hope not! The local papers and DNR reports haven't mentioned it. I don't think there's any spearing going on either, just maybe for crap.
Didn't get the boat in yet as problems with assembly procedures is delaying the efforts. Never take things apart in fall and not photo the work you've done, it makes assembly in spring so much more difficult.
Netman

Edited by Netman 4/2/2010 5:59 AM
jballs
Posted 4/2/2010 7:23 AM (#432573 - in reply to #431245)

I haven't seen or heard of any problems at the Okauchee dam, this area is watched very closely by local law enforcement.

Sadly, the dam in the city of Waukesha is another story. Lots of bucktails and rattletraps flying through the air. When asked what they are fishing for they will pause for a moment... and usually mumble something about carp or panfish. Some will realize that the jig is up and leave, others will try to tell you that there is nothing in the regs about fishing at the dam. 1-800-TIP-WDNR is the number to call.

I know awhile back there was a problem with early season fishing on the Pewaukee river, but I believe that musky fishermen and people from the town have been vigilant about keeping an eye out for violators.
Steve Van Lieshout
Posted 4/2/2010 10:37 AM (#432628 - in reply to #431245)

The area below the dam and a few hundred yards downstream are posted as a refuge with no fishing or spearing allowed......thank God!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)