Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> using planer boards for musky

Message Subject: using planer boards for musky
Johnny Boy
Posted 9/5/2012 7:40 AM (#582672)
Subject: using planer boards for musky

Hi everyone, I am thinking of using planer boards for trolling for musky this year. I had purchased a pair of homemade boards already but now I need a pair of rods to use. Any ideas anyone. I only want to do this once and need a little help. Would I need special duty heavy clips? would I have to go to 100lb braid instead of 80 and can I do this with downeast rod holders. any help would be a + thanks JB
JKahler
Posted 9/5/2012 12:34 PM (#582734 - in reply to #582672)
Subject: Re: using planer boards for musky

Downeast will be fine, I use 80 & 100lb line. OR-18 snaps have worked the best for me.
Johnny Boy
Posted 9/5/2012 1:03 PM (#582736 - in reply to #582734)

Or=18 Where can these be purchased. Someone just told me to use 30 lb. big game mono instead of braid......whats your opinion. JB
JKahler
Posted 9/6/2012 1:41 AM (#582855 - in reply to #582672)

http://www.muskyshop.com/modules/cart/products.php/nav_id/20/page/1...

I don't like mono for anything so I don't use it. All I know is I've used PowerPro and MasterBraid and it's worked fine on fish up to 52.5". One more idea is to ditch the rear release and use a stay-lok snap on it. With a 3' leader + bead on it you can flip the Or-18 and let it slid down the line instead of trying to take the board off by unsnapping 2 releases.

horsehunter
Posted 9/6/2012 6:28 AM (#582858 - in reply to #582672)

JKahler "One more idea is to ditch the rear release and use a stay-lok snap on it. With a 3' leader + bead on it you can flip the Or-18 and let it slid down the line instead of trying to take the board off by unsnapping 2 releases. " Could you explain this further I am having trouble seeing this in my mind. I have the large Church 44 boards.
JKahler
Posted 9/6/2012 12:54 PM (#582926 - in reply to #582672)

Greg Thomas had a thing about that on Facebook. So there's 2 releases on the board right, keep the one on the front & swap out the rear one with the leader snap (which is snapped onto the main line). Basically it's a faster way to get the board off. I haven't tried it yet, but since I fish alone a lot I'll be using it this fall.
zombietrolling
Posted 9/6/2012 6:32 PM (#582993 - in reply to #582672)

Here's Greg talking about the leader snap mod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qedSSYpuiE
Jerry Newman
Posted 9/7/2012 11:05 AM (#583115 - in reply to #582993)

I have used the snap with the RO-18 clip on the offshore boards and it worked well most of the time. However, with larger baits in rough water you can get some slippage (unless you really tighten down the adjustment screw and pinch the line).

My preference is to use the RO-18 clip with a HD red clip in place of the snap, (the red clip has a peg  to prevent the line from sliding out, vs the black clip in the video with no peg). It does take an extra couple of seconds to remove the red clip versus the snap after you remove the RO-18, but I just figure I'm right there anyway removing the RO-18.

I prefer this set-up because I can run the RO-18 with slightly less pinch on the line and after taking the 2-3 extra seconds to remove the board, there is nothing left on the line between you and the fish. 

bkrpnk123
Posted 9/7/2012 5:41 PM (#583203 - in reply to #582672)
Subject: RE: using planer boards for musky

I just started using boards this year and went with the oversized church 44 boards. Down east rod holders as well as scotty's, worked fine for me. 80lb powerpro and 10inch jakes and legend perchbaites no problem holding line in the clip. First day out was bluebird and glass and buddy got a 48 over open water! THEY WORK!
Johnny Boy
Posted 9/8/2012 7:06 PM (#583349 - in reply to #582672)

Thanks Guys I got a lot of good information, will try out This week...........JB
tundrawalker00
Posted 9/8/2012 7:30 PM (#583356 - in reply to #582672)

I second the red clip on back if you choose to use two clips.

I just use orange walleye boards cranked down all the way. You're using a leader anyway, so just the peg and slot at the back keeps the board from whacking the fish in the head. I use them for kings too. Alternatively, you can use the large Yeck boards (hometown company) with a red clip on the tail.
Jerry Newman
Posted 9/9/2012 9:32 AM (#583440 - in reply to #583356)

I used to use the yellow bird magnums with 80 pound braid (wrapping the red HD clip up front with a crosslock snap in the back) but felt I lost a lot of fish even with fairly limber rods because of the no give braid.  When I started fishing with a new friend (Rick) in 2008 he was using the offshore boards wth mostly mono and because I had lost so many fish on the braids, I decided to go with 50 pound mono, and that offshore/RO-18 set up. 

There is no question that my boats hooked to boated percentage has went up dramatically using monofilament versus braid, and no problems removing the boards with two clips, although occasionally the line gets hung up on the red clip peg if you're not used to it.  

My only gripe with in-line boards (versus a mast) is the boards jumping in rough water. So I picked up a couple of the Church Tackle TX-6 Magnum this past spring and set these up the same way with the RO-18 and HD red clips (easy 10 min. modification). These track a little better in rough water (trade-off is they pull harder too), but might be something to consider when it's rough.  

cast4musky
Posted 9/9/2012 1:15 PM (#583477 - in reply to #583440)

Johnny Boy, the fellow That made my planer boards told me to spool up with new 25lb. XT Mono by Trilene. He said it performs 100% better than the braided lines for planer boards. He said to let out the lure,use the red clip w/pin and then use the black clip to the reel. When the fish hits just put your thumb on the spool and give it a good pop. The black clip will then release and you just fight the fish. When you get the red clip to the boat just remove it. Sounds like this is do able . Thanks Mike Sr.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)