Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Color recommendations for St. Lawrence River

Message Subject: Color recommendations for St. Lawrence River
bowhunter29
Posted 4/15/2011 7:35 AM (#493078)
Subject: Color recommendations for St. Lawrence River

Hey guys,

I'm heading up to northern NY for a few days of muskie fishing with some buddies in May. Can anyone give me some recommendations on color patterns? We'll be around the Massena area on the St. Lawrence. Thanks!

jeremy
PamuskEhunt
Posted 4/15/2011 8:10 AM (#493083 - in reply to #493078)
Subject: RE: Color recommendations for St. Lawrence River

Check the Regs first.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/31423.html

Muskellunge and Tiger Muskellunge- Third Saturday in June through December 15 48" 1
Cast
Posted 4/15/2011 8:27 AM (#493086 - in reply to #493078)

bowhunter29 - 4/15/2011 7:35 AM

Hey guys,

I'm heading up to northern NY for a few days of muskie fishing with some buddies in May. Can anyone give me some recommendations on color patterns? We'll be around the Massena area on the St. Lawrence. Thanks!

jeremy

You may not fish for muskies in New York until June, usually the third Saturday. Observe the law.
Anonymous
Posted 4/15/2011 10:08 AM (#493099 - in reply to #493078)

Oh, got to love the ignorance.
The opener date is different all across the musky region. It's best to check regs in the area you plan to fish first, before planning anything else.
Anytime I'm on the water pre-season fishing for walleyes or panfish and see guys chucking dbl 10s or magdawgs, makes for a quick call to the tip line.
bowhunter29
Posted 4/15/2011 6:28 PM (#493220 - in reply to #493078)
Subject: Re: Color recommendations for St. Lawrence River

That's what I thought but my buddies kept arguing with me. Thanks, looks like we'll have to push the trip back a couple of weeks. This would be my first out of state trip for skis. Guys in PA have been chasing muskies for weeks already which is probably why I didn't give it too much thought. Lesson learned.

Anyway, any color recommendations?

jeremy
zach2626
Posted 4/23/2011 6:19 AM (#494631 - in reply to #493220)

Naturals. June can be tough. Don't get caught with musky lures in May, they will throw you in the slammer!
Tackle Industries
Posted 4/23/2011 7:29 AM (#494637 - in reply to #493078)

Off topic but more confusion comes with guys fishing for pike when its in season and musky is still out. They need to put those two season together IMO so a guy can't just say he is fishing for "pike". I for one have no separation between my pike and musky tackle. Big pike, big lures Have had many 20"- pike T-bone a 20"+ swimbait in Minnesota and Canada.

IMO for colors try black/gold colors and go with smaller lures.
Cast
Posted 4/23/2011 8:09 AM (#494641 - in reply to #493078)

Bowhunter, since you're going to observe the law, I wanted to write again. I've been to the St. Lawrence several times. I'm not much good as a muskie fisher, but IMO it is very tough. Deep and clear. Lots of structure. The big McNair fish of several years ago was, reportedly, taken on a 10" Jake in Black Perch. Just a hint: I'll bet most experts on the Larry say use darker, natural colors on your lures. Good luck.
fish
Posted 4/23/2011 10:14 AM (#494666 - in reply to #493078)

just fish for pike if "musky" season is out...problem solved

makes no sense to have a closed season
bowhunter29
Posted 4/23/2011 12:10 PM (#494682 - in reply to #493078)

Thanks for the tips guys. Like I said, this was going to be my first out of state trip for skis. It was a spur of the moment decision and I hadn't yet looked into the regulations. The last thing I want to do is break any laws! My buddies and I found a date that fit our schedules and we had just started planning and looking at the details. After looking things over, we decided to stay in PA and fish the Allegheny. We can chase muskies, pike, bass, and trout in the middle of May here on the Allegheny. The nice thing about PA is you can target fish like bass that aren't in season and still legally practice CPR. Thanks again for the tips and I'll definitely use them if we end up fishing the St. Lawrence later in the summer.

jeremy
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)