Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Another Camera Questions...Canon G10

Message Subject: Another Camera Questions...Canon G10
Mike Hulbert
Posted 12/10/2008 7:16 PM (#349100)
Subject: Another Camera Questions...Canon G10

When to Best Buy today looking at getting the Canon XS slr camera. Spoke to a guy who seemed VERY educated about camera's. Told him to "in simple terms" compare the SX SLR, the lower end Canon Power Shots, and the G10...which I have never heard of or seen before....

After about 45 minutes of playing around with each one, the G10 seemed like the right one...it is pretty much a SLR without a removable lense. I never take photos of anything else but fish pics and action shots in my boat so I don't really have a need for crazy zoom features.

Any thoughts on this camera? http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcate...

Price out the door: $359

Thoughts?

Thanks,
MIKE HULBERT
Hulbert
Posted 12/10/2008 7:21 PM (#349101 - in reply to #349100)
Subject: RE: Another Camera Questions...Canon G10

also, this camera has the 28-140 mm lense...do I need the 18 mm like the slr's have for the good close up shots?

Hulbert
whit65
Posted 12/10/2008 7:59 PM (#349106 - in reply to #349101)

Hi Mike,
The G10 is a great camera, lot's of pros are buying it as their vacation camera as it shoots a high resolution (14.7Megapixel) and it has the ability to export RAW files, giving much more latitude in image quality. You probably don't care about the RAW stuff, but the camera is a rugged tool, and it accepts a remote which is great for shooting fish holding shots when you're by yourself. The 28-140 should be all you'd need. If you find that it won't shoot closeup enough, you can always buy a closeup filter on the web for it for under $40. I think that it will focus pretty close, however, as it looks like it has the macro feature. http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcate...
Also has the video mode which is cool to have for shooting the release or whatever.
I'd think you'd be happy with it for that price. It's not tiny, but then I doubt you'll be worrying about getting it into a pocketbook...
Whit
RiverMan
Posted 12/10/2008 10:52 PM (#349133 - in reply to #349100)
Subject: Re: Another Camera Questions...Canon G10

That is probably way more camera than you need Mike. We have a G7 I use for work and although it is nice I don't think it is the perfect camera for you lifestyle. For you on the water at night, in the wind, rain, sleet, snow, I would probably look for something alot more weather resistant. The 14 megapix is nice but you could get a 6 megapix camera and the photos will still be flawlessly clear. My personal camera is a Pentax Optio WPI which can even take pics underwater. I have used it in driving rain, snow, etc., without a single problem for several years now. Make sure whatever you get has a nice large viewfinder.

good luck......

Jed

Tim Kelly
Posted 12/11/2008 7:18 AM (#349153 - in reply to #349100)

The 28-140 lens on the G10 is an "equivelent" range, relating to 35mm cameras. Because digital cameras have different sized CCds lens focal length isn't easily compared to the viewing angle, so they generally quote and "equivelent" focal length. the 18 mm lens on the SLR won't give you a very wide angle nessecarily. I don't know what the conversion is, but expect the 18mm lens will give the equivelent of about a 28mm angle of view.
brmusky
Posted 12/11/2008 8:28 AM (#349164 - in reply to #349100)

On my digital rebel the magnification factor is 1.6. That means the 18 mm lens is actually shooting at about 28 mm. Sometimes I wish I had a wider view but it works. I think your boat is big enough so you won't have to worry about it.
If the G10 doesn't have a magnification factor like the rebel then the lenses would be about the same. If you don't ever plan on changing lenses, an slr is not for you anyways, more places for dust and water to get into and keep clean.
lambeau
Posted 12/11/2008 8:35 AM (#349166 - in reply to #349100)

on my Nikon D60 (which has a pretty big sensor) the 18-55mm lens is equivalent to 25.5-82.5mm on a film camera.
i've found this to be a compartively "wide" angle: i can get up close to subjects and keep a wide field. of course, my comparison point is compact point-and-shoot cameras that i've owned in the past, not to another dSLR or SLR film camera equipped with an ultra-wide 14mm lens...

the Canon G10 has a 6.1~30.5mm lens, a 28-135mm film eqivalent. however it has a relatively small sensor when compared to most dSLR cameras. of course, the G10 is NOT a dSLR camera! the reviews i checked out awhile back described it as an extremely good compact point-and-shoot; not great for light-sensitive portraits or moving action (dSLR's are better at this), but really good for still shots and landscapes.
i'd expect it'll make a fine fish/boat camera.
Posted 12/12/2008 12:46 PM (#349404 - in reply to #349100)

The wider the angle, the bigger the fish will look in the pics. Something to keep in mind.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)