Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Luna trouble...

Message Subject: Luna trouble...
Reef Hawg
Posted 9/6/2007 11:09 AM (#273561)
Subject: Luna trouble...

I bought a couple Lunas this spring thinking they'd be the end to all of my troubles. Had suchgreat luck with the older cvz Diawas and I needed something to replace my Calcutta te's that I finally got rid of for good, and thought the Luna would be 'it'. I really love how smooth these reels are, and the way they feel in my hands. From almost day one, however, I have been having trouble with anti-reverse slippage, and now it is to the point that I cannot use them on anything but a straight cranking type set-up. Does anyone know if this is/could be a grease issue, or if it is a problem that is known and has been fixed?? I'd like to fix it myself as Diawa seems to take longer than Shimano and ABU used to, and I really need the reels for the remainder of the season. Again, i love everything about them but this, and would buy 2 more if I knew they'd hold up as well as these did, save for this instant anti problem. Thanks in advance.
esox50
Posted 9/6/2007 11:13 AM (#273563 - in reply to #273561)
Subject: Re: Luna trouble...

I've had the same problem. Talked to two guys this weekend with the same problem. What's the deal????
CiscoKid
Posted 9/6/2007 11:55 AM (#273575 - in reply to #273561)
Subject: RE: Luna trouble...

Jason, talk to Shane. He bought some anti-revearse grease that helps the problem. I don't remember the name.

usually what happens, with all reels, is you get some condensation mixed with the grease in the bearing which causes it to start slipping. In some cases I was able to just clean the bearing out, and LIGHTLY oil the bearing. Too much and you'll have slippage issues.
esoxaddict
Posted 9/6/2007 11:59 AM (#273578 - in reply to #273561)

Had the same problem with my Millionaire CVZ300A...

As some have suggested, cleaning the AR bearing and adding a little bit of oil seemed to help. It did not fix the problem entirely, but it is a whole lot better. Interesting note: Mine started acting up after a day fishing in heavy rain -- didn't put 2 and 2 together about the moisture until Travis' post above...
reelman
Posted 9/6/2007 12:56 PM (#273595 - in reply to #273561)

Try lubing the anti reverse bearing with some quality reel oil.
Tim Kelly
Posted 9/6/2007 2:22 PM (#273617 - in reply to #273561)

Most AR bearings work best either unlubed, or with a very light coating of very light oil.

Nice to hear that people have been having normal issues with the Daiwas too. Reading some of the posts on here you'd think they never go wrong! It's mechanical, it will fail eventually.
Reef Hawg
Posted 9/7/2007 1:31 PM (#273791 - in reply to #273561)

Thanks guys. I'll try it. Had about 10' of line back off and get tangled last night which could have cost me a fish... Will try to fix tonight.
Rick
Posted 9/11/2007 7:38 PM (#274392 - in reply to #273561)

I, too, had probs with the Cvz-300 series anti-reverse. They finally sent me a new Luna, but guess what?....Yup...anti reverse again....you can pack the anti-reverse bearings with White Lithium Grease and it will solve the problem for a couple weeks, but then it will return....nothing to do about it over the long run, though...poor design, I'd say....

Anyhow...most of the people I've talked to that had this problem are 'rippers', 'bangers', and 'pop-twitchers'. I do this alot with 10" Jakes and mag-dawgs and think that's where the problem originates.

I have a Gander store 3/4 mi from my driveway...I picked up a guide series and will beat it mercilessly until she dies, then return for a new one, no questions asked....not as smooth or lightwieght, but it will be easy to replace when she's burned out.

By the way, I've realized since I got my Gander reel that I was actually 'taking it easy' on my Luna and Millionaire by not ripping and pop-twitching as hard. THINK ABOUT IT....THE FAULTY DESIGN OF THE REEL ACTUALLY CHANGED THE WAY I FISHED...NOW I CAN RIP-POP-TWITCH-BOUNCE-PULL TO MY HEARTS DELIGHT AND NOT WORRY ABOUT PROBLEMS....feel good about that decision to buy a Gander reel that I can easily return.

I know not everyone has a Gander in their backyard, but many can get to one if they drive a coupla hours.

My two cents.
Tim Kelly
Posted 9/12/2007 8:54 AM (#274447 - in reply to #273561)

Ever though that maybe all your twitching and popping might be unnecessary? I bet virtually everyone who spends all summer guiding fishes a lot less aggressively with their baits, and they catch plenty! Apart from wearing your equipment and yourself out, I expect you miss a lot of fish or have them hooked in odd places as you're constantly trying to pull the bait away from them! There's a lot to be said for an occasional twitch to provoke a strike, but you can have too much of a good thing!
Reef Hawg
Posted 9/13/2007 2:10 PM (#274730 - in reply to #273561)

OK, twitching and popping may not be neccessary for all types of fishing, but try to fish a weagle type walk the dog lure some time without putting any stress on your anti reverse. I like to use the reel handle-revolution-pops most of the time, but I can still feel pressure on the instant anti when popping. Not going to quit doing something that produces fish, because you guys say it isn't neccessary...hehehehehehehehehehehe. I straight crank probably 75-80% of the time during summer, but when I choose to rip and pop, I don't feel like I should have to put my $225.00 reel down in place of a 20 year old grindy $60.00 job that doesn't slip, but I do. If they cannot take the abuse of general musky fishing(remember one of the reels exhibiting this problem is on a bucktail rod...), but choose to market them towards us, make adhustments so they work. Or.. better, because I like them alot aside from this, get it right now and fix them when I send them back this winter.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)