Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Connecting Batteries (Parallel/Series???))

Reply New post
Message Subject: Connecting Batteries (Parallel/Series???))
The Nate
Posted 10/5/2006 9:32 AM (#212803)
Subject: Connecting Batteries (Parallel/Series???))

I have a relatively new 55lb 12volt powerdrive that I have on my esox magnum. Will there be any benefit if I connect 2 batteries in parallel? Or will this cause damage to my trolling motor? On a side note the boat came with an older 24 volt 48lb thrust trolling motor, would this motor be a better overall choice due to being 24 volt? Thanks
tomcat
Posted 10/5/2006 9:58 AM (#212806 - in reply to #212803)
Subject: RE: Connecting Batteries (Parallel/Series???))

nate...i ran a 55 pound power drive, 12 volt on two batteries hooked parrelled or whatever...this WILL be an upgrade to the 48 pound 24 volt.
with 2 batteries, you can run FOREVER...and i mean forever. you will get a LONG LONG use out of the fully charged batteries.
make sure you two of the same batteries..they are the same age too.
No..you wont do any damage to the trolling motor..as long as you have it wired where it is delivering only 12 V to your TM..not 24. it's really simple to run two 12 V batteries parrell (or maybe it's " in series" not parallell, i dont always know the correct terminology) to a 12 V trolling motor. if i did it..anyone can. and trust... you will love this set up.
Troyz.
Posted 10/5/2006 11:08 AM (#212818 - in reply to #212803)

Nate

You will be just fine as lond as you hook the up in parallel, that is connecting + to + AND - TO -, but make sure you are charging each battery individually, with 2 chargers and you will be fine.

Troyz
tomcat
Posted 10/5/2006 1:50 PM (#212854 - in reply to #212803)

i charged my batteries with one charger that was duel bank. most 2 and and 3 bank chargers contain two are 3 seperate chargers in one housing.. SO...not to confuse you Nate, but you can charge them with one charger..just use two banks.

Edited by tomcat 10/5/2006 4:39 PM
The Nate
Posted 10/5/2006 8:50 PM (#212934 - in reply to #212803)

Thanks for all the info. I do have a 3 bank charger in the boat (however only 2 banks work) so I think I should be all set. Thanks again for the advice.

Nate
muskihntr
Posted 10/6/2006 6:21 PM (#213112 - in reply to #212803)

i am running the ap55 12 volt new trolling motor that i bought this year im running 2 batts in parrallel... like my boy tomcat says you can run forever!! ive yet to run them down im using the trojan gel batts and cant believe how awesome they are!!! i wish on some windy days i had some more # thrust but im very pleased with this set up. im on a 18ft smokercraft with a full w/s.
Bruce
Posted 10/18/2006 9:36 PM (#215634 - in reply to #212803)

I am looking into a 40PD, and also using a second battery for this 12v motor. I have a simple Naden aluminum fishing boat, a tiller. Could I recharge the batteries 'individually'? I just have a simple battery charger, I plug it into an outlet, then clip it on the battery posts. Again, could I charge the batteries individually?? Thanks.
sworrall
Posted 10/18/2006 9:46 PM (#215638 - in reply to #215634)

Yes you can, but not while they are hooked together. The chargers will 'feed back', and one or the other may be damaged.
The Yeti
Posted 10/20/2006 11:21 PM (#216135 - in reply to #212803)

bruce
i had my 43 lb MG hooked 12=12 (+ to + - to -) but only had one bank available to charge them both

i put the neg from the charger on batt 1 and the pos from the charger on batt 2. i was told no damge could be done this way when i asked my mechanic. in all actuality, you are just creating one BIG 12 volt battery by hooking them parallel....so the output on the charger side is simply seeing it that way. just make sure both batteries are the same rating and same age like mentioned. i had no problems with it like this for 2 years. keep an eye on your water levels in both batteries too....what you don't want is one battery getting charged b4 the other when hooked this way. that is why i also mention matching the batteries on the cca side of it.

i wouldn't use an automotive type charger. you can get a 1 bank charger from cabelas

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?i...

any questions, email me.
[email protected]
Jomusky
Posted 10/21/2006 4:20 AM (#216140 - in reply to #216135)

It is important ot use a charger designed for deep cycle batteries to get the most life out of them. You will find you have to add water often if you use an automotive charger. A good on board is the way to go for sure.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)