Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Twinkee's

Message Subject: Twinkee's
peteski
Posted 2/8/2015 12:13 PM (#752539)
Subject: Twinkee's

hey guys. I just wanted to get a post going about the twinkee and the recent success on them. As most of you know, the twinkee has a much thicker tail and three huge ribs on each side, really throwing off some THUMP! There have been several fish caught on twinkee's after dark and it has become a popular technique that is catching on. The huge tail has a different vibration that really engages the lateral line of the muskie, and gets the big ones curious. When most people are throwing big blades there will always be a twinkee ready in my boat. RubberHairy has three sizes available 4, 6, and 8oz and every color to match. RubberHairy will be at the remaining show make sure to stop in and say hi and be on the look out for new products to come.
Fin-Addict
Posted 2/8/2015 3:28 PM (#752569 - in reply to #752539)
Subject: Re: Twinkee's

I just got home from a week doing background for an article idea on Exploring Muskies Southern Frontier with Cory Allen and The Tennessee Valley Musky Authority. We met @ the Ohio Musky Show and after a couple conversations and a text or two, decided on multiple forays during the February Full Moon -+1, 1, -1 Working through some options we moved a couple lazy girls of some size. Improving wx and increasingly stained water near our located fish saw Cory and I wating near a current break on the intersection of a channel we identified earlier that he felt was optimal given the conditions. Full Moon rise @ Sunset saw one of those windows open we ALL dream of... and we were waiting. 4 of 7 in about 45 minutes. Ending with a 50 class Fatty busting my rod. Slow the second day with clearing water but managed another Beauty over 4 feet. Slated to pull out the following day we decided to soot the night segment even though we didn't receive the gear in time... 20 degree crystal clear skies under abright near full wanning moon.. We set out! I spent a lot of time talking to Eric Larson at the Ohio Musky Show about the innovate design changes made to the TWINKIES ribs and tails..durability was my first thought but soon understood that subtly seductive footprint I look for in this bait had been increased.... I bought 4! Starting lineup. .. KillerKrappie (my Nick name for the 6 oz crappie) and the Jackel (this bait took EVERY other fish for the entire trip... including two Beasts that broke stuff up, totaly direspecting me and my equipment.. will be in the articles)

It got cold fast and reels, line guides, line, fingers and anglers were ICED in short order... couple hours into it and a Half Day Client visiting in the afternoon Cory was wisely pulling the plug. Now we had been flinging 10s and trolling some great breaks the Jackel rght on the sweet spot...
We were'nt even seeing many marks indicative of active fish. I asked my friend to motor back near where memories had been made a day earlier before I headed home for just a few casts... though obliging my request I could see bait choice was being questioned.We quietly approached and I could see the 'giant' walleye -like humps on and.near the bottom where there had been no humps ealier.I launched a long cast well past the break letting it settle on a slack line; pouring coffee... taking my time... take a drink... engage the reel and barley retrieved with a slight upward hop.I feel it more akin to fishing a big plastic worm... line over my left index finger to feel for one of the lightest bites you'll likely ever feel Musky fishing: DO NOT WRAP LINE AROUND OR BETWEEN YOUR FINGER ... its not ALWAYS a light pickup and braids can remove a lot of finger in a fraction of a second when an angry Muskies on the other end. "Gotta snag?"... asked my companion as the rod slowly loads up... "Nope... that's what I'm looking for. .. Pump, pump, pump.... and then pull. She felt like she was holding onto the bottom with two hands..almost back to the boat... begore she gave a good account for herself.
Think slash, flash, splash and rattle ONLY when Hunting Musky... often times, inactive to neutral fish WILL NOT chase and attack... learn the signs... and you can turn this into a tactical advantage. A subtly creeping bait that mimicks trying to AVOID discovery...in their faces and under their noses... it usually just gets heavy. I honestly believe from my experience that if you can get it there directley in front of them in these situations... they are eating that TWINKEE... I mean really Eat It!
I believe lures to be tools... none are possessed of magical powers and/or abilities. The difference in planing attitude from some brands and the improved durability and S Wave enhancements make this one of my favorite Tools for those stubborn bottom hugging inactive fish.Just try one if you're skeptical... I started with one... they're now on my Hoosier Daddy Outdoors "DEADLY DOZEN" They work. . They are quality made at every step by Eric Larson.. in the United States. I guess I should have finished my article before getting on this thread... :-P
I guess you could say I'm fond of the Twinkee and do believe you will find them a superior product and valuable tool when used in the right conditions.
Sorry so long, I don't usually post as much these days... but a 46-plus on a Full Moon @ Midnight when you call your shot with a bait folks say 'doesn't work to good here' only a couple of days ago... try it and see if you don't feel like writing or dancing or something. Thanks Rubber Hairy Tackle for providing the tools I can count on to help make these awsome memories possible. And a big, big thanks to Cory and the folks @Tennessee Valley Musky Authority for their Fishing Hospitality.
MUSKY CLAN
Hoosier Daddy Outdoors

Edited by Fin-Addict 2/8/2015 4:11 PM
GIERAT
Posted 2/8/2015 3:58 PM (#752571 - in reply to #752539)
Subject: RE: Twinkee's

I just ordered one....what's the best way to use them? Jerkbait techniques? I suppose make it as erratic as possible....
peteski
Posted 2/8/2015 4:14 PM (#752574 - in reply to #752571)
Subject: RE: Twinkee's

I do a pull/pause retrieve. The key in my eyes is never keep the bait doing the same thing. Pull to the side (pause) pull up (pause) long sweeping motion (pause). you get the idea. What color did you get? Eric does an amazing job on color patterns.
happy hooker
Posted 2/8/2015 6:06 PM (#752600 - in reply to #752539)

Twinkies are back on the store shelves and tackle boxes,,,,,states are legalizing marijuana,,perfect!
GIERAT
Posted 2/8/2015 6:09 PM (#752601 - in reply to #752600)

I ordered the Chart. Shad, but all the colors are great. Hard to pick one! I like the contrast of color on that one and the big black dot. Bullseye.
Fin-Addict
Posted 2/9/2015 1:15 AM (#752650 - in reply to #752539)

I hear what your saying and and sorry it comes across like that. I just wanted to share how well this tool works for me in a very specific application that I bought and use it for.It's a repeatable situational tactic that works for me and thought some might find it helpful to try if encountering a similar setup. I use many different lures AND none work for every fish in every situation. .. THEY ARE TOOLS. .. not a talisman. I'm the knuckle-head for carrying on so... and apologize if I offended any... but it doesn't change my honest opinion.. and that is really all I have to offer any who ask is that. .. my honest opinion based on my personal experience. I buy these lures, I use these lures, I like these lures...
I catch some pretty respectable fish on these lures. Throw what you like. .. but I like what I throw! :-P Hope everyone has a safe and memorable season. FISHING & OUR ANGLING HERITAGE IS A LIVING LEGACY... PASS IT ON!
Bob "the Fin-Addict" Osborne
NPAA #714

ToddM
Posted 2/9/2015 7:00 AM (#752661 - in reply to #752539)

They are really good baits and worth having. Big tails for their size. The body shape is different which gives them a different action as well. If you like throwing plastics you will like this bait.
vegas492
Posted 2/9/2015 9:11 AM (#752680 - in reply to #752539)

Been more than a little bit of that shameless plug thing going around..... I find it interesting that these types of threads are made by people with very few posts to their name. Probably trying to generate some buzz for the shows, which is fine in my book.
Slamr
Posted 2/9/2015 9:56 AM (#752692 - in reply to #752539)

Propster - 2/8/2015 4:36 PM

Shouldn't this go in the shameless plug section?

Actually, I am nominating this for "Shameless Plug of the Year"
Sidejack
Posted 2/9/2015 10:28 PM (#752818 - in reply to #752539)

I member seeing a video of one at last year's Wausau show being burned and the whole body had a sweet looking slither-wiggle to it.
Headed to check out with one in hand but then I remembered that I'd given all my money to Greg Nimmer about 17 minutes earlier.
~shrug~
achotrod
Posted 2/10/2015 11:59 AM (#752884 - in reply to #752539)

I bought a couple at the Chicago show. They look great(better then a dawg IMO). Really looking forward to trying them out.
herpin1579
Posted 2/10/2015 12:53 PM (#752897 - in reply to #752539)

They have worked well for me on Kincaid in the smaller size. They seem to have a slower sink rate which makes it easier to work over shallow weeds. It's been my number one bait for converting lazy follows. Always leave a rod with a small size crappie pattern on the front of the boat for me. That slow sink really seems to help to turn those fish into eaters.
dami0101
Posted 2/10/2015 2:34 PM (#752901 - in reply to #752539)

One of the nice thing about the twinkee is that they will make one off custom color's for you, no need to order in bulk. Also, the twinkee with cream filling lets you offer up a little something different then must rubber baits.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)