Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> New Mercury Motors

Reply New post
Message Subject: New Mercury Motors
Badgerpat1
Posted 5/19/2018 7:47 AM (#906823)
Subject: New Mercury Motors

Anyone seen or experienced the new line of Mercury four strokes that are replacing the Optimax line? Seems like the concept is based on their 150 four stoke that has been a hit. Frankly, I like the idea of going simpler...good old fashioned increased displacement for power. Not sure how they are keeping them light. Thoughts or experiences?
North of 8
Posted 5/19/2018 9:00 AM (#906825 - in reply to #906823)
Subject: RE: New Mercury Motors

Badgerpat1 - 5/19/2018 7:47 AM

Anyone seen or experienced the new line of Mercury four strokes that are replacing the Optimax line? Seems like the concept is based on their 150 four stoke that has been a hit. Frankly, I like the idea of going simpler...good old fashioned increased displacement for power. Not sure how they are keeping them light. Thoughts or experiences?

Don't have experience with the newest motors but having lived in Fond du Lac before I retired a few years ago, I know Mercury has been investing millions in new plant and research facilities over the last 7 or 8 years, almost continuous construction. They have one of the most advanced casting plants in the world and have added a lot of state of the art machining as well. One of their goals over the last 15 years has been to make 4 strokes more powerful on a power to weight basis and have invested a lot time and money into that goal. Knew a couple of engineers that worked there and they talked about it like it was the holy grail. Power to weight and reliability. Everything was focused on that.
Since the worst of the recession, they have more than doubled their employment in WI.
tolle141
Posted 5/23/2018 12:34 PM (#907110 - in reply to #906823)
Subject: Re: New Mercury Motors

Look up the torture test on the Verado. I think it was >400 hours at WOT. Very impressive.

I don't run one myself, but I have yet to see a negative review on them. Seems that Mercury did a great job with this platform.
Badgerpat1
Posted 5/24/2018 7:20 AM (#907180 - in reply to #906823)
Subject: Re: New Mercury Motors

Interesting to note that just before I made the original post...Mercury announced they are going to replace the 250 and above Opti products with a series of four stroke V8 motors. I received information from a boat builder that they will not be available until September.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)