Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> New Rain Gear

Message Subject: New Rain Gear
wisriverrat
Posted 4/23/2018 6:10 PM (#904667 - in reply to #904079)
Subject: Re: New Rain Gear

I just purchased Gill rain gear after doing research here, I have Guide Wear which leaks around the front zipper area
Ciscokid82
Posted 4/23/2018 10:14 PM (#904714 - in reply to #904079)

I’ve always used Cabelas guide wear and while it was durable and kept me dry, it was a bit warm and heavy in the summer heat. It was great in the fall - no need for the insulated version if you know how to layer. I wanted something lighter in weight that I’d be comfortable wearing through most of the season so was deciding between Simms, Gill, and some of the goretex mountaineering stuff. The mountaineering stuff was the most expensive and didn’t have the features you’d like to see in a true fishing parka, like an oversized fully enclosed hood. I went with Simms Prodry because I couldn’t find Gill anywhere to see it firsthand. I saved a few Cabelas gift cards ( 5 of them! )I had received over the years and used my club points to buy the suit. It pays to be patient! Love the suit! Expensive but if you take care of your stuff they should last a very long time, for that reason I don’t believe in buying cheap. I now wear the guide wear for fall and ice fishing( that suit is at least 12 years old too)
Gander Mt Guide
Posted 4/24/2018 9:26 AM (#904754 - in reply to #904079)

Unless the bibs and jacket say "Gore-Tex", I'm a little leery. There's a lot of gear out there that use their own membrane and call it something like "OmniDry", but unless the product has Gore-Tex, I won't buy it. Been burnt by too many imposters that simply don't last.
T3clay
Posted 4/24/2018 10:26 AM (#904767 - in reply to #904079)

Firstlite makes the best raingear, hands down, no questions, period. But you pay for it...... It's phenomenal

https://www.firstlite.com/seak-jacket.html?color=13
Tommis
Posted 4/24/2018 11:24 AM (#904780 - in reply to #904079)

I could sure use my rain gear at work today... I don't mind the frabill suit I got at a steep discount from fleet farm last year. It worked very well, even in November with layering beneath it.

Edited by Tommis 4/24/2018 11:25 AM
Ciscokid82
Posted 4/24/2018 9:06 PM (#904852 - in reply to #904767)

T3clay - 4/24/2018 10:26 AM

Firstlite makes the best raingear, hands down, no questions, period. But you pay for it...... It's phenomenal

I didn’t know they made rain gear. Known mostly for their wool base layers.
Ciscokid82
Posted 4/24/2018 9:37 PM (#904862 - in reply to #904852)

Ciscokid82 - 4/24/2018 9:06 PM

T3clay - 4/24/2018 10:26 AM

I didn’t know they made rain gear. Known mostly for their wool base layers.

The jacket looks nice, too bad the pants are just that-pants. I like bibs or at least a high waist pant. Looks like they would compete well against KUIUs Chugach line. KUIU uses Toray which rates slightly less waterproof than Gore but slightly better in breath ability. Firstlite didn’t say the name of the membrane they use but a 3.5 layer shell should be very dry!
T3clay
Posted 4/25/2018 7:39 AM (#904903 - in reply to #904079)

I agree, i hate pants,. Bibs are the way to go
JakeStCroixSkis
Posted 4/29/2018 8:41 AM (#905365 - in reply to #904079)

Ol frogg toggs are good enough for me..
Headlock
Posted 4/30/2018 1:34 AM (#905431 - in reply to #904079)

I have owned them all. Stormr is unreal awesome. You will pay for it. I have an addiction with rain gear. Treat your gear with the appropriate laundry soap and it will make all the difference. Like waxing your boat/truck.

Edited by Headlock 4/30/2018 1:39 AM
jonnysled
Posted 4/30/2018 6:25 AM (#905433 - in reply to #905431)

if you've owned them all and taken care of all of them, what do you do with so many? and why own so many?
Headlock
Posted 4/30/2018 9:43 PM (#905490 - in reply to #905433)

jonnysled - 4/30/2018 6:25 AM

if you've owned them all and taken care of all of them, what do you do with so many? and why own so many?

not really sure why you would care? but get a new pair every year from a client i refer business to. gave away 3 pair of guidewear to family this year.
sworrall
Posted 4/30/2018 10:17 PM (#905494 - in reply to #904079)

The above is similar to my situation. I recently own 4 different brands and a half dozen sets of rain gear, and gave some to friends. For those I keep and like to wear, I found Nikwax to be my friend in keeping them as effective as new.

This stuff:

http://www.nikwax.com/en-us/products/productdetail.php?productid=26...

jonnysled
Posted 5/1/2018 7:14 AM (#905507 - in reply to #905490)

Headlock - 4/30/2018 9:43 PM

not really sure why you would care? but get a new pair every year from a client i refer business to. gave away 3 pair of guidewear to family this year.

what did you think of the Gill FG21J, Simms and Helley Hanson products?
esoxaddict
Posted 5/1/2018 10:49 AM (#905522 - in reply to #905494)

sworrall - 4/30/2018 10:17 PM

The above is similar to my situation. I recently own 4 different brands and a half dozen sets of rain gear, and gave some to friends. For those I keep and like to wear, I found Nikwax to be my friend in keeping them as effective as new.

This stuff:

I have to admit I was pretty skeptical of this stuff. It works!
Muskie Treats
Posted 5/1/2018 12:08 PM (#905528 - in reply to #904079)

I just got a Simms Challenger series suit and it is eons better then my BPS 100mph gear (that was also very good stuff). Its VERY light and high quality. They retail for about $400 for a set, but you can find it better if you poke around. One thing that I don't mind paying good money for is good rain gear as that can make or break your trip.
danmuskyman
Posted 5/1/2018 4:38 PM (#905555 - in reply to #904079)

Just bought a set of Simms Challenger as well because of this thread! Seems super light and can’t wait to try it out. My only complaint with ALL brands of rain gear now is none of them seem to have the two way zipper on the bibs anymore! Drives me crazy to have to unzip the jacket to zip down the bibs when you have to take a leak! My old gander guide wear suit had the zipper I like and everything I looked at after now only has the one way zipper. Guess I’ll live with it if it actually keeps me dry
Headlock
Posted 5/2/2018 12:42 AM (#905594 - in reply to #905507)

jonnysled - 5/1/2018 7:14 AM

helley not enough movement. simms awesome but will cost you big. never had the gill. hope that helps. all the best. maybe mr. worrall can help also on his review.
followking
Posted 5/2/2018 7:30 AM (#905608 - in reply to #904079)

Arc’teryx. The last set you’ll ever buy.
jonnysled
Posted 5/2/2018 8:35 AM (#905620 - in reply to #905594)

Headlock - 5/2/2018 12:42 AM

jonnysled - 5/1/2018 7:14 AM

helley not enough movement. simms awesome but will cost you big. never had the gill. hope that helps. all the best. maybe mr. worrall can help also on his review.

the reason i asked is that it seems there is a separation from rain gear and engineered rain gear. it's pretty easy for a company to private-label garments that are put together in mass and then the ones who build something to compete (sailing, racing etc...) and why i drilled it down to just two companies that make the stuff you buy once. i chose Gill and so far seems to have been a choice i should have made a long time ago vs. going through the typical products until the zippers got you wet. you can tell in the Gill product by the way they (zippers) are covered, that it's not just your average weather gear.
Headlock
Posted 5/5/2018 12:45 AM (#905837 - in reply to #905494)

sworrall - 4/30/2018 10:17 PM

This stuff:

I use the same. Great stuff.
OH Musky
Posted 5/5/2018 7:40 AM (#905844 - in reply to #904079)

I have a set of Columbia's PFG Omni-Heat™ Gale Warning™ Bibs and jacket. Bought them from Columbia on discount apparently because they were discontinuing the line. Too bad. The set has worked outstanding so far. Keeps me dry and warm. Light enough to wear by themselves and warm enough to wear as an outer layer for those cold windy days. If they wee still available I'd buy them again.
btfish
Posted 5/5/2018 8:29 AM (#905847 - in reply to #905844)

I have used and been with others using different rain gear and I struggle with three things?

1. If I am fishing in rain my hands get wet, and even with a cuff or Velcro strap on my wrist the rain eventually runs down my arms and the cloths on my arms get wet.

2. Rain hits my face and runs down my neck and my upper body gets wet.

3. If it's warm I sweat from the heat and I get wet inside.

Even though I know the high dollar rain gear is high quality I struggle how it will prevent these 3 things? But if it does please tell me.

There is also a big difference what you may need if after a day in the rain you can retreat to a warm cabin or house where you can get warm, dry, hot shower, and fresh cloths. When we moose hunted in Alaska our retreat was to a 3 man tent with an extra canvas over it, and one set of cloths used for packing meat (after they got bloody they hung with the meat). I still camp and fish a lot today. The guys in Alaska told me about Helly Hansen 3/4 length Impertech rain gear then which works really well for the most part, less than $100 and each one I have had lasted about 10 years. Other than the 3 bullet points I mentioned it always keep us dry.

I can't imagine how the guys fishing on the crab boats on Deadliest Catch stay dry? As hard as I have looked it appears they all seem to wear the good old PVC with rubber linings that will not absorb water and get wet which is similar to Helly Hansen. Now that is a place to test rain gear??

Hey, at least we are talking about rain versus snow. So have a good day.

Brad

Edited by btfish 5/5/2018 8:33 AM
jonnysled
Posted 5/5/2018 11:39 AM (#905854 - in reply to #904079)

1. the Gill F2 has two cuffs, the internal cuff is a stretchy material you can cinch with velcro and a secondary cuff that also cinches

2. the Gill F2 has a high-rising collar that is "inside the brim of the hood so you can eliminate if you want to use it.

3. i only use it for severe and fall weather and not in hot summer rains when the rain doesn't chill you to the bone

- zipper covers tuck the zipper into them and there is no access from any of the zipper fabric backing ...

it's completely different than anything but Simms from what i've determined and was developed via competitive sailing

Edited by jonnysled 5/5/2018 11:50 AM
Big Perc
Posted 5/5/2018 11:45 AM (#905855 - in reply to #904079)

Another vote Simms Pro Dry. I've worn Columbia, Cabela's, Bass Pro, Helly Hansen and my Simms Pro Dry is by far the lightest weight and the suit I've stayed the most dry in. You're gonna pay for it but its well worth it!
btfish
Posted 5/7/2018 6:22 AM (#905929 - in reply to #905855)

Sled

Thanks for the feedback on the Gill F2, it sounds like very nice.

Brad
Jackel2
Posted 5/9/2018 6:49 AM (#906053 - in reply to #904079)

I'll put my 2 cents in here in support of the Simms ProDry Suit. I have owned everything from Frogg Toggs to Frabill and everything in between. If you are more than an occasional fisherman you will need to spend the money for a good suit. Sure, all suits will keep you dry for a while - but if you are on a week long trip with rain everyday you will be very disappointed in the less expensive suits. I would have saved money in the long run had I gotten a top notch suit in the beginning.

What sets the Simms ProDry Suit apart? It is the attention to the little details that makes this suit so good. The wrist cuffs cinch down tightly to your wrists to prevent water from leaching up your sleeves - if this has ever happened to you then you know how annoying that is. The "boot" zipper in the bibs go all the way up to your knees which allow to to get the suit on quickly over bulky boots. The hood has numerous adjustment capabilities plus it is vented which prevents your glasses from fogging up. ..and the list goes on.

As stated by other posts, the Simms ProDry suit is light weight which makes it comfortable and easy to move in. On the down side it is not great in cold weather - because of this I got 1 size larger than I needed in the bibs so I can put multiple layers on when October and November roll around.

I stumbled on this Bass website a month ago, they have a detailed review of the Simms ProDry rain suit. They compare the suit to a few other leading brands and even include videos. http://selectbassfishingtackle.com/best-rain-gear-2018/

In summary, the Simms suit is expensive but WELL WORTH EVERY PENNY.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)