Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Towing safety and tire pressures

Reply New post
Message Subject: Towing safety and tire pressures
Lundbob
Posted 4/11/2018 8:50 AM (#903021)
Subject: Towing safety and tire pressures

Since it's almost time where we will all be towing our boats if the ice ever melts i thought i would post this good article about tire pressures for our trucks and trailers. The big takeaway for me is that most trucks come from the factory with P passenger tires and most of us probably upgrade to LT tires E rated tires. At that point the inflation sticker on your door jam means nothing. To have the same load rating you must inflate your tires with more pressure to get the same capacity. Anyways a lot of great info here that is explained in an easy to understand way.

http://popupbackpacker.com/tire-pressure-secrets-for-camping-traile...
Fishysam
Posted 4/11/2018 9:07 AM (#903024 - in reply to #903021)
Subject: Re: Towing safety and tire pressures

You do not need to change air pressure for different rated tires, you can probably add 5 psi and be fine but the air pressure is what holds the weight of the truck, just because you changed tires didn't make the truck heavier, now if your going to work your truck hard with a full load going up more psi is fine as well but just out of the gate for no reason absolutely not, they say max cold psinot minimum inflation
Lundbob
Posted 4/11/2018 12:41 PM (#903061 - in reply to #903021)

Correct just for normal daily driving it's not an issue. But if your hauling a heavy trailer with a bunch of gear in your bed you should not be running 35 psi on LT tires. According to the chart your going to want 45-50 psi to have the same load rating as a 35 psi P tire.
ranger618
Posted 4/12/2018 5:51 PM (#903211 - in reply to #903061)

Lundbob - 4/11/2018 12:41 PM

Correct just for normal daily driving it's not an issue. But if your hauling a heavy trailer with a bunch of gear in your bed you should not be running 35 psi on LT tires. According to the chart your going to want 45-50 psi to have the same load rating as a 35 psi P tire.

That seems like a good reason to keep running P tires.
P tires should;
Handle all the load the truck can take.
Ride better.
Provide better stopping and handling.
Cost less.
Provide better traction.
Lundbob
Posted 4/12/2018 8:13 PM (#903218 - in reply to #903211)

ranger618 - 4/12/2018 5:51 PM

Lundbob - 4/11/2018 12:41 PM

That seems like a good reason to keep running P tires.
P tires should;
Handle all the load the truck can take.
Ride better.
Provide better stopping and handling.
Cost less.
Provide better traction.

Yea but they don't look as cool as a nice All Terrain tire.
Fishysam
Posted 4/12/2018 9:33 PM (#903230 - in reply to #903021)

P tires have advantages but not for someone who uses the truck as a truck. They are cheaper OEM ride better and get better mileage all slightly deceitful on behalf of the manufacturers.
curleytail
Posted 4/12/2018 9:41 PM (#903233 - in reply to #903021)

I ran LT c and d rated tires on my last truck. Running p rated tires on my new truck.

All have been fine. I do think i notice a bit more sway and squishy feeling in a stiff sidewind with the p rated tires but not to the point of feeling uneasy. Lt tires rode rougher but then again I went from a 96 with mildly cranked torsion bars to a 2012 so far from apples to apples.

I had tons of tire options with my old 16 inch wheels. I got frustrated when tire shopping for 18 inch rims. Overall it's either p or e rated tires. My opinion is an LT tire is nice on a truck, but the e rating is way overkill for most.1/2 ton truck users.

I think i ran about 45 to 50 psi in my lt tires and about 35 in my p rated tires. P.s. you can get lots of all terrains in a p rated tires. I'm running General Grabber AT2's now.

Tucker

Edited by curleytail 4/12/2018 9:43 PM
Lundbob
Posted 4/13/2018 4:20 PM (#903306 - in reply to #903021)

Yes an E rated tire is overkill on a truck i suppose. I might look into the P rated AT tire idea. I pull a 20 foot ranger but only a few times a year since i live on a lake and only travel to LOW 2-3 times a year. I don't plan on pulling anything heavier.
Booch
Posted 4/17/2018 12:48 PM (#903676 - in reply to #903021)

E rated tires from a load perspective, are technically overkill. But under load, they are more stable than P, they'll last longer, and are much more durable off road. I pull at 24' camper with my 1/2 ton, and the E rated tires are more confident and stable than the Ps I had prior. With that comes an unloaded rougher ride and lower mpgs, though.

Regardless, you DO need to change air pressure for different rated tires. An E rated tire at 35psi might feel okay, but the effective load rating is lower than the P at 35psi, and it's gonna heat up more than it should at higher speeds.

Edited by Booch 4/17/2018 12:49 PM
Fishysam
Posted 4/17/2018 9:29 PM (#903824 - in reply to #903021)

Correct that a E rated tire will not give you a E rating at 35 pounds, this goes for all tires, maximum weight rating is at maximum cold psi. However given a load has not changed simply by changing tire no psi change is required
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)