Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Honest comparison

Message Subject: Honest comparison
Ciscokid82
Posted 1/25/2018 6:23 AM (#890495)
Subject: Honest comparison

Going to buy a Tranx 500 soon and I know this has been beaten to death but I’m wondering what the HG would compare to as far as how hard it is to crank with 10s. It will be mainly a big bucktail reel so I’m leaning toward the PG. I’ve been using a Calcutta B with power handle (5.1:1) and it brings them in easier than the revo winch that I purchased years back for the sole purpose of cranking 10s (I’m now changing gears in my revo winches to 5.4:1 to get more out of em). Would the Tranx 500 HG be easier or harder to crank in 10s than my Calcutta 400 B w/ handle? Yes, I know it will be much faster! I have no way to “test drive” before I buy so if anyone can give me an honest opinion that’d be great. This is purely an “ease of use” question.
I don’t need to know which you prefer! If it’s harder than the Calcutta B I will definitely get the PG.
musky513
Posted 1/25/2018 8:38 AM (#890511 - in reply to #890495)
Subject: Re: Honest comparison

I have both, to me the HG Tranx is easier. You won't have to turn the handle super fast and will still be able to move the bait at a good speed. With the Calcutta B you have to work way harder to move the bait, way more handle turns to retrieve the bait. In other words, a nice easy retrieve on the HG will be easier on your body than the amount of effort it takes to retrieve a big bucktail with a Calcutta B.
BNelson
Posted 1/25/2018 9:06 AM (#890514 - in reply to #890495)

A pg will bring them easier and slower than the HG... HG is not 'hard' tho to reel them, get the jigging world trinidad power handle to make it easier... it's not rocket science... the HG is the fastest reel out there, if you want "easy" then just get a winch. none of your buds have an HG to cast a few times with??
VMS
Posted 1/25/2018 2:13 PM (#890542 - in reply to #890495)

Hiya,

I have fished with both the PG and the HG and there is absolutely no doubt the PG is easier on the arms/hands/etc. bringing the big baits in, albeit slower than the HG.

The HG with a power handle (like the Jigging world handle BNelson mentions, or the power handle made by Shimano, which is a millimeter or two shorter in length) will make pulling the big baits in easier, and even faster yet. It is not too bad and if you already are pulling them in with a calcutta B, you will find the HG to be on the same level, if not easier.

The HG allows for more versatility in my humble opinion as well. If the fish want the bait a little slower, you can slow it down by slowing your handle turn. If they want it fast or really fast, you have that ability without too much extra effort and not feeling like you are turning the handle at a really high speed. With the PG, you just cannot generate the same speed.... if and when the fish tell you that they want the bait presented really fast, the PG will fall short.

Steve

Ciscokid82
Posted 1/25/2018 6:18 PM (#890556 - in reply to #890495)

Ok thanks guys! I was somewhat set on the PG but you’ve changed my mind. If the HG is as easy or easier than that Calcutta B then that’s the one for me. I wanted the speed but I want to be able to throw the fastball all day if that’s what the fish want. At 35, and a carpenter, I’m starting to feel the achy joint pain more and more.
Ciscokid82
Posted 1/25/2018 6:29 PM (#890558 - in reply to #890495)

Does that Trinidad handle make that big of a difference? The stock handles on the 500s are huge already.
upnortdave
Posted 1/25/2018 6:51 PM (#890562 - in reply to #890558)

I thought the hg pulled harder then I was comfortable with. The pg pulled like butter but was too slow. I usually fill reel spool to max. I pulled some line off the hg and the resistence was a lot less. I don't think it was much less ipt. I also put the the power handle from my 400 on it and an very happy with it now.
Rudedog
Posted 1/25/2018 8:38 PM (#890571 - in reply to #890558)

Ciscokid82 - 1/25/2018 6:29 PM

Does that Trinidad handle make that big of a difference? The stock handles on the 500s are huge already.

Yes.
Sidejack
Posted 1/25/2018 9:43 PM (#890573 - in reply to #890514)

BNelson - 1/25/2018 9:06 AM
... the HG is the fastest reel out there,

The Saltist 30TH picks up more line per turn than the Tranx 500HG and you can get um for under $100.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(STT30TH.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments STT30TH.JPG (55KB - 381 downloads)
BNelson
Posted 1/25/2018 10:06 PM (#890574 - in reply to #890573)

and it's larger than a tranx 500 isn't it? and you have to manually engage the bail right? sure they pick up more line? what is the inches per crank? .. I'm sure there are large saltwater reels that pick up more line too...and weigh 60 ounces... lol...but if you think that's better go for it!
Sidejack
Posted 1/25/2018 10:32 PM (#890577 - in reply to #890495)

Didn't mean to git yer dander up and make you go into defensive mode brah, just making sure the original poster knows that the Tranx isn't the fastest. The 30TH is a round reel but it's not too big to palm, picks up more line than the TranxHG, is built like a tank with nearly half inch wide gears, is nice for late season because there's no level wind to ice up, and it's much more affordable. It picks up 47.2 inches per turn and weighs 3 ounces more than the Tranx
Ciscokid82
Posted 1/26/2018 6:49 AM (#890583 - in reply to #890495)

Like I said in first post, I’m not looking to turn this into HG vs..., that’s been done enough. Just wanted to know if the HG was would be easier to crank than my Calcutta 400 B w/ power handle for big blades. I know the gear ratios and speeds. I’m weighing the speed vs “enjoyability”. My fishing partner is a Calcutta TE nazis, he doesn’t own much of anything else, and I don’t have friends who fish(Muskie) other than him so no way to try one out.
upnortdave
Posted 1/26/2018 7:48 AM (#890589 - in reply to #890583)

Just my opinion again, if your use to the speed of the 400b then the pg would be the way to go. Your probably reeling fast for the 400b ten the pg would be that much of a change except to pg is 30" it and I think the 400b was 24 " ipt. Everyone has their favorites but the pg is butter and alittle faster the 400b
Kirby Budrow
Posted 1/26/2018 8:41 AM (#890594 - in reply to #890583)

Ciscokid82 - 1/26/2018 6:49 AM

Like I said in first post, I’m not looking to turn this into HG vs..., that’s been done enough. Just wanted to know if the HG was would be easier to crank than my Calcutta 400 B w/ power handle for big blades. I know the gear ratios and speeds. I’m weighing the speed vs “enjoyability”. My fishing partner is a Calcutta TE nazis, he doesn’t own much of anything else, and I don’t have friends who fish(Muskie) other than him so no way to try one out.

No, the HG would not be easier or easy to reel 10's in compared to your calcutta. But you cannot compare the 2. They are completely different and have totally different uses. I use the HG for burning big blades because it gets the job done, not because it's easy. Actually burning big blades is never easy. You simply cannot burn a bucktail with any other reel like you can with the HG. Lot's of very good fisherman get by with the PG though, and their life is a little easier. I still prefer the HG for it's speed.
Abu7000
Posted 1/26/2018 10:03 AM (#890602 - in reply to #890495)

I have used both the Calcutta as well as the Tranx PG for years, and this past year gone to a Tranx HG with a jigging handle. I was amazed at the speed of the HG, but what really surprised me was that there was little more resistance when fishing double 10s. If you plan on buying a Tranx, I would echo Brad Nelson's advice, and get the HG with the jigging handle. There is not much more effort needed to bring in a double 10, but one gains more versatility in speed. That set up was a game changer for me.
Ciscokid82
Posted 1/26/2018 6:28 PM (#890637 - in reply to #890495)

Ok HG w/ Trinidad handle it is! I’ll put the Calcutta B on a rod dedicated to slow rolling 10s at night. Thanks for feedbacks!
Abu7000
Posted 1/26/2018 8:28 PM (#890651 - in reply to #890637)

The right choice...
bucknuts
Posted 1/26/2018 9:26 PM (#890656 - in reply to #890495)
Subject: RE: Honest comparison

I have both, and the PG is a lot easier to pull ten's. If you are looking to burn them, the Hg is faster, but it's has a lot more pull. That said, you have to work hard to burn ten's with both of them, just in different ways. The HG is going to feel close to your 400 Calcutta te, but the bait will come in faster with the HG.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)