Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> I need to pull my motor to rebuild my transom--what have you guys done?

Reply New post
Message Subject: I need to pull my motor to rebuild my transom--what have you guys done?
Nomadmusky
Posted 10/13/2017 6:01 AM (#881158)
Subject: I need to pull my motor to rebuild my transom--what have you guys done?

I need to pull my 1990 75 hp Merc to rebuild my transom.

I've got photo's etc. to remember how to replace it etc. but in the mean time I'm wondering what you do-it-yourselfers have done to take your motor off.

I think my research says it weights about 299 pounds. I will need to store it for a bit before it gets replaced. Here are my questions:

1. How did you lift it off?
2. Did you attach it to anything to lift it off?
3. Are you able to lay that motor down like you would a small motor and not worry about harming something?

Nomad

Edited by Nomadmusky 10/13/2017 6:02 AM
VMS
Posted 10/13/2017 7:06 AM (#881169 - in reply to #881158)
Subject: Re: I need to pull my motor to rebuild my transom--what have you guys done?

Hiya,

When I have done transom work/jackplate installs, I have used an engine hoist. If you have a lifting ring for the motor (some motors you have to buy it...then it screws into the top of the flywheel), just attach the hoist there, get the hoist lifting just enough to be tight, remove the bolts, then work motor off the transom (may need a pry bar, but silicone should let go fairly easy for the most part). I'd be sure to have your transom tie downs on and tight just so you don't inadvertently lift the boat up off the trailer...

If you can store the motor using the hoist, you'd be good to go. Unhook any lines, wires, etc, cabling, steering, etc, and roll it to a safe position in the garage.

Steve

tcbetka
Posted 10/13/2017 8:08 AM (#881177 - in reply to #881169)
Subject: Re: I need to pull my motor to rebuild my transom--what have you guys done?

I've used an engine hoist as well. When i bought an Alumacraft hull with a 130hp Honda on it back in 2001, it wasn't enough engine for the hull. So the Alumacraft people wanted me to try different holes--which I did using an engine hoist. They actually sent one of their tech guys to my hangar in Shell Lake, and we spent about 6 hours trying different height settings before concluding what I had told them weeks before...that it wasn't enough engine for the boat. Point is though that the Honda 130 was heavier than 300 pounds, and the engine hoist was easily able to help us lift/lower it. The engine had a lifting ring under the cowling and it was a simple matter to just use that. If there's not a ring on your engine already, maybe there's a threaded hole there for one?

Take a look at Harbor Freight if you don't already have an engine hoist. They have a 1-ton hoist with folding legs that you can get for around $150 with a coupon. It's immensely useful for all kinds of things, and really doesn't take much room at all to store when you fold up the legs.

TB
cbuf
Posted 10/13/2017 8:18 PM (#881274 - in reply to #881158)
Subject: RE: I need to pull my motor to rebuild my transom--what have you guys done?

1. Build a motor stand. Google fit outboard motor stand.
2. Get some plate steel and build a lifting plate for the motor with a big eye hook. Or buy one from the manufacturer.
3. Rent a engine lift. There are different types so make sure it will go high enough. My rental place had a perfect one. It had the height as swing to get a i/o motor out of a boat.
4. Use Google product called seacast. I did my tuffy transom with it. Worked great. Stronger than plywood, doesn't aboard water, burns into the fiberglass.

ToddC
Posted 10/13/2017 8:33 PM (#881275 - in reply to #881158)

I built an engine stand out of 2x4's & 2x6's with casters for about $40 and rented an engine hoist for $20 for a morning. Already had the bolts out and battery cables unhooked. A buddy helped and it took about 15 minutes after I had the hoist set up. Easy.
Nomadmusky
Posted 10/14/2017 12:37 AM (#881292 - in reply to #881158)

Thanks guys for all the input.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)