Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> To Grub or not to Grub

Message Subject: To Grub or not to Grub
labdog
Posted 10/6/2017 10:01 PM (#880474)
Subject: To Grub or not to Grub

As I'm chilling out before Cranberry Fest, I'm reviewing my Depthraider line-up for tomorrow with a duffle bag of Kalins and Big Bites. Wondering if you think adding a plastic trailer to your crank produces any more fish. Heard some guides always do it. What is really working on high pressured water?
pklingen
Posted 10/7/2017 8:39 PM (#880540 - in reply to #880474)
Subject: Re: To Grub or not to Grub

i put them on my 9" suicks tail hook all the time. i think it makes the profile look a little bigger but who knows. but i do know i catch more with them on than i ever did with them off.
Junkman
Posted 10/8/2017 8:10 AM (#880561 - in reply to #880474)

I’ll get flack (what else is new?) for this, but I’m more likely to remove the third hook and make the grub a more important part of the bait. I’ll extend a wire with a screw, the way a soft tail attaches to a Phantom, and maximize the grubs full effect rather than put it clumsily on one point of a treble. I just don’t like that look. Drilling a hole for the thing and keeping the back treble results in too many fowled, wasted casts. Losing the hook is a sad but worthwhile trade, because I think a crank bait rigged like this results in more t-bone strikes away from the boat where it’s the front treble that gets it done. Don’t agree? Then do what you want! I’m convinced nobody’s ever invented something better than a grub for fishing period, not just muskies.
Mudpuppy
Posted 10/8/2017 9:50 AM (#880566 - in reply to #880561)

I have been buying Nokkems on sale from Tackle Industries for 6.99ea. /remove the back section and attach a Mukgumbo grub with a strenched out spring cable. makes an absolute killer lure. Make sure to allow plenty of swing on the grub hookup. Best lure I have had for casting and trolling this year. Absolute magic.

Mudpuppy
tackleaddict
Posted 10/8/2017 11:10 AM (#880576 - in reply to #880474)

I like removing the hook and pushing the eye of the hook back up through the grub, then split ringing the hook back on. Like junkman, i don't like the grub on one point look.
supertrollr
Posted 10/8/2017 11:48 AM (#880581 - in reply to #880474)

keep grub for bass,it ruined the action of a lot of lures,glider included
Zinox
Posted 10/11/2017 11:35 PM (#881006 - in reply to #880474)

I drilled a small (2mm) hole in middle of the blade close the rear edge on the suick, to ad a tiny split ring that i can ad blades, or grub tails to, haven't noticed a difference in fish catch but it worked great and fun to tinker around with different things.
twelts
Posted 10/12/2017 8:38 AM (#881027 - in reply to #881006)

Esox Tackle makes a grub with hole and is offset for a hook
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)