Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "God made man first so as to give him time to thinkof an answer to her first question"
- (Added by: Raider150)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> #7 French Blades not spinning

Message Subject: #7 French Blades not spinning
labdog
Posted 9/24/2017 9:17 PM (#879170)
Subject: #7 French Blades not spinning

Guys-
Looking for what I can do to get these #7 French blades to spin. If I use a Lakeland (lower picture) no problem as those work great, but the other (diff manufacturer)seems alitttle heavier (top picture) and just doesn't spin correctly on the shaft. You can see I added the cone bead but that didn't solve the issue. Do I need to change the clevis as I've pinched it on the water and that didn't help either? Thanks for any help as I have a bunch of these blades and want to use them up.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(#7 French Blades.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments #7 French Blades.jpg (64KB - 413 downloads)
bigbite
Posted 9/25/2017 12:56 AM (#879180 - in reply to #879170)
Subject: RE: #7 French Blades not spinning

The other French blade is probably made by the Worth Co. and it just might be a thicker blade then the .025 blade that Lakeland makes. I can't tell for sure, but it also looks like the shaft you are using might be .062. It just might be that your #6 clevis is hanging up on that heavier shaft. When using French blades try using a lighter shaft. I would suggest a shaft of perhaps .051 or .040. As long as you will be constructing the bait over again I would advise that you also use a new clevis. The hole in it might have a rough edge or some other defect. The cone bead is only as good a feature if you use a small bearing or bead on top of it to provide a smooth bearing surface for the blade and clevis to rotate around on.

Edited by bigbite 9/25/2017 12:59 AM
ToddM
Posted 9/25/2017 10:58 AM (#879216 - in reply to #879170)
Subject: Re: #7 French Blades not spinning

Good observation on the wire. I always spin the blades when i make a bucktail by holding it vertical. No need for .062 on a French spinner bucktail anyway. I hate bending it and do not use it. As stated i bet the clevise is tight. One thing we cannot see is the spacing to the skirt. Hanging vertical by the eye, the blade should clear the skirt.
labdog
Posted 9/25/2017 7:07 PM (#879281 - in reply to #879170)

I am using .051 wire and #4 clevis. The other blade is from Lure Parts. Thinking to go the #6 clevis and place a #4 brass bead in front of the #7 bead to create less drag. The blades clear the skirt fine.
NathanH
Posted 9/25/2017 7:45 PM (#879294 - in reply to #879281)

I would do a few things one go to the #6 Clevis two get a small solid 3/16 or smaller bead under the clevis, 3 lose the top bead and 4 give yourself more wire at the top end.
fin
Posted 9/25/2017 9:22 PM (#879310 - in reply to #879170)
Subject: RE: #7 French Blades not spinning

Lose the top bead.
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 9/25/2017 10:06 PM (#879314 - in reply to #879310)

On the plus side, nice tight wrap of the wire. All the above, go with the smaller solid bead and 6 size clevises for sure. If that doesn't work, get a new blade and forget it.
Sidejack
Posted 9/26/2017 7:27 AM (#879331 - in reply to #879314)

You can try taking a round nose pliers and bending the tip (where the hole is) of the blade out a little.
I've done this with good luck on mini-double 7 Indiana's the wife likes to throw.
I also swapped out the clevises for size 8's, the wire for .041, and positioned the blades close enough to the thread wrap so they're resting on it when holding the bait vertically so they're already open a bit. Great on hair bodies but don't try it on tinsel.
Her main issue is not reeling as the bait enters the water and, i'm not sure how but blades always come to rest beneath the spinner body if the bait is allowed to sink for a foot or so. When she'd begin to reel, the bait would just rise up as it rode on the blades like a little scoop underneath. The above recipe worked well and most spin every time no matter what she does now.
You could also try putting one of those thin sticky weights near the tip, inside the blade but the above works better in my opinion.

Edited by Sidejack 9/26/2017 7:29 AM
Zib
Posted 9/26/2017 11:50 AM (#879354 - in reply to #879170)

The bead above the clevis looks to be a solid bead. If that is true then that is your main problem as this happened on one of my #8 French blades that I made. You can use a hollow bead (5/16 I think is what I use) above the clevis & that won't hinder the blade from spinning & will help prevent the blade from getting caught up in the leader on the cast. I would also go with a #6 clevis. You can also use a Dremel style tool with a cone shape sanding stone to smooth out the holes on the clevis as this will help reduce friction. Other guys mentioned using a smaller bead below the clevis but I personally use a larger bead below the clevis & haven't had any issues with it spinning. To me I think the larger bead below the clevis helps push the blade out from the shaft, thus helping it start-up better.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)