Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Humminbird - screen freezing issue

Reply New post
Message Subject: Humminbird - screen freezing issue
MuskyMidget
Posted 8/21/2017 10:16 AM (#875038)
Subject: Humminbird - screen freezing issue

Hey Guys:

I had a Helix 7 installed on my dash and also have a Helix 10 on the bow. The one on the bow has worked fine all summer.

However, the Helix 7 on the dash does weird things. It will just reboot itself. Or worse yet, it just freezes up. With no way to turn it off. Luckily I have a master power switch on my boat that allows me to shut it down. Otherwise I have no idea how I would even shut it down without crawling under the dash and unplugging it.

Anyways, I figured I have a wire loose or something. But here's the kicker ... I was using my buddy's boat this weekend and had the same issues with his Helix 10 on the dash. And the one on the bow was finicky too.

I was shocked. I figured mine was a fluke, but with 2 different Helix doing the same thing in 2 different boats, I have to imagine we are not the only people having an issue.

I know some of you love your Birds, but I also run HDS 10's on the boat and never ever have issues with them. So if it's a voltage issue, the Birds must be much more sensitive than the Lowrance because the Lowrance's run just fine when I am having issues with the Birds.

Anyone else experiencing similar screen freeze issues with Birds? Is there any other way to shut them off or reboot them without turning the master power off to the whole boat and "hoping" that they reboot and turn on without freezing after the master power is turned back on?

Thanks - Ball Cap
mtcook16
Posted 8/21/2017 1:19 PM (#875065 - in reply to #875038)
Subject: Re: Humminbird - screen freezing issue

Contacting HB customer service is always a good bet. They can talk you through the troubleshooting while on the phone. However, if you want to try updating the software to the latest version or restoring factory defaults, those are good places to start. Without knowing your specific setup and understanding how it is all rigged, it is difficult to provide a solution your question.
For instance, is the unit wired in directly to a fuse block or is it wired direct to the battery with long power leads? Is the unit part of a network or not? These types of things can make a difference and again can be best resolved by customer service. I wish you the best.
kjgmh
Posted 8/21/2017 1:22 PM (#875066 - in reply to #875038)

1. Make sure unit is getting proper voltage, bad connections or improper wiring can cause issues.
2. Make sure latest software is installed
If both are good call HB.
Will Schultz
Posted 8/21/2017 2:24 PM (#875070 - in reply to #875038)

Voltage is probably the issue. If they're run to a fuse panel it will fix them if you run power directly from the battery.
MuskyMidget
Posted 8/21/2017 3:31 PM (#875075 - in reply to #875038)

Is it common knowledge that the Humminbird is more sensitive to voltage than Lowrance?

Like I said, I'm running Bird and Lowrance and never have any issues with Lowrance.

Edited by MuskyMidget 8/21/2017 3:32 PM
RLSea
Posted 8/21/2017 10:19 PM (#875137 - in reply to #875038)

It's good you are trying to get feedback, but you shouldn't make broad generalizations based on the performance of 2 units. I run both HB and Lowrance. I have had occasional boot-up issues with HB but nothing serious. I have also had side scan problems with Lowrance I have yet to resolve but seems like connection related. My point is these are both sophisticated electronic devices that need proper voltage and power level. Check your wiring size and connections and use dielectric grease on all connections as has been mentioned here numerous times.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)