Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Double hit

Message Subject: Double hit
Nuclear.smelt
Posted 7/2/2017 12:20 PM (#867462)
Subject: Double hit

So today i went out and stuck a 48 incher on a showgirl this fish came of and we looped back around to the same spot i stuck that fish and it hit again 30 mins after being hooked! has this happened to any of you guys??
River2Stream
Posted 7/2/2017 12:37 PM (#867463 - in reply to #867462)
Subject: RE: Double hit

It's rarity for sure but when they wanna eat they wanna eat lol. Congrats on the fish !
curleytail
Posted 7/2/2017 10:04 PM (#867508 - in reply to #867462)
Subject: Re: Double hit

Now and then I've had one hooked for a second and lost come back and get hooked up a few minutes later.
Nomadmusky
Posted 7/2/2017 11:23 PM (#867513 - in reply to #867462)

I've had it happen a couple of times.

Once many years ago while ice fishing, (back when we got ice in November). I had about a 36" fish, hit, landed it and as I was taking the treble out the line snapped and it slid back down the hole.

I rigged up again and the flag went off again, and I caught the same fish with the old treble and line hanging from his jaw. I popped out both trebles, and rigged up again, within about 5 minutes it hit again and had the flap of skin where I took the hook out the previous time.

I was with my cousin and we proceeded to build a huge snowman over the hole so that no one else would catch him a 4th time.

2nd instance was earlier this year from my canoe. I caught one about 44"'s on a 7" Suick. He gator rolled and I had a bugger of a time untangling him. I got him untangled, shot a photo and put him back. Next cast he followed the Orange Suick right back to the canoe with my buddy holding the camera nick naming him "Scar" from the lines of the gator roll braid marks on his body. I had to yank the bait out of the water or he would have creamed it right at the side of the canoe again.

He proceeded to follow my partners spinner bait in a couple of times as well.

I'm guessing their learning curve is a little steeper than we think!

Nomad.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 7/3/2017 7:33 AM (#867519 - in reply to #867462)

My wife caught her firsto casting muskie after hooking and losing the fish on the same cast twice! Set the hoOK once, gone, set the hook again, fish shakes it loose. Third time was the charm when she came up and ate at the boat and I scooped it before it had a chance to get off again
BNelson
Posted 7/3/2017 8:08 AM (#867522 - in reply to #867519)

I guess I would ask how do you know it was the same 48? could easily have been 2 fish that size or more using it...
btfish
Posted 7/3/2017 8:46 AM (#867527 - in reply to #867522)

Maybe but like Brad said how can you really tell, but certainly possible. I have it happen twice where you swear it was the same fish, will never know for sure.

I did have a fat 49 up on the woods that I hooked in the center of the bottom jaw and that caused a small red spot you can see on the photo. Later in the week my buddy caught what appeared to be the same (red spot on the jaw fish). Still makes me feel good that we know we released that one well.

On an unrelated story. Yeeeeears back fishing small mouth I had a fish hit my wacky worm and I snapped the line on the hookset, retied cast back. Same thing fish hits and I snap the line on the hook set. (My bad on bad line)

So I go to a new rod and about 45 minutes later, fish hits, I hook up and landed about a 14 inch smally with get this (all of my 3 hooks and wacky worms in it's mouth). We still talk about that, too bad we didn't take a picture of that.

Enjoy your freedom guys and have a good day.

Brad
Nuclear.smelt
Posted 7/3/2017 9:21 AM (#867534 - in reply to #867522)

BNelson - 7/3/2017 8:08 AM

I guess I would ask how do you know it was the same 48? could easily have been 2 fish that size or more using it...

She had a split fin. we went to the same spot again later in the evening and hooked the same fish on a creek chub knucklehead again she shook the bait though.
BNelson
Posted 7/3/2017 9:24 AM (#867535 - in reply to #867534)

sweet, muskies are dumb. We have caught the same fish multiple times in the same day. Biggest was 45.75 .... when they are active they will hit again for sure same day..

Edited by BNelson 7/3/2017 9:25 AM
Musky Brian
Posted 7/3/2017 9:44 AM (#867538 - in reply to #867462)

I lost a fish on Eagle once I fought for good 4-5 seconds on a bomb cast, could barely move it.....as I was cranking the bait in after it popped off, I suddenly saw a tail snaking behind my bait and it smoked it again 5 feet from me and I didn't lose her that time (46"). I certainly thought it was the same fish, but I guess I can't 100% confirm that...
bbeaupre
Posted 7/3/2017 11:12 AM (#867548 - in reply to #867462)

During my bachelors party my buddy hooked a fish that got wrapped up in the line and popped off as I tried to net it. Went back the next day spooked the fish with the boat and he made a cast at it and anazingly it Ate! He caught his first 50". Definitely same fish. Complete with line rash across the snout.

Edited by bbeaupre 7/3/2017 11:14 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)