Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Fishing shad lakes

Message Subject: Fishing shad lakes
darbogast90
Posted 4/19/2017 6:53 AM (#857727)
Subject: Fishing shad lakes

I'm still pretty new to this lake, have fished it a few months so still learning it's tendencies. I believe the shad spawn in the shallows when the water is mid-60s to 70s, but how shallow is shallow? <5 feet?
I know they are filter feeders and prefer a murky water over clear/cleaner water, so most times, if present, I fish a mudline with rattle traps, twitch baits, and then a bulldawg.
As far as fishing location goes, I think I should focus my efforts on the mainlake points leading to the coves and work in from there until I start seeing bait, is that a fair starting ground or no?
I read that the shad tend to move around a lot, do you think musky follow them ALL of the time, or just stay in a general area and wait for them to move in? (I personally think musky are like people, they all have their own agendas)
I've employed the tactics previously mentioned under "Trolling Timber Lakes", most notedly, jigging bondies and trolling believers.

Thanks for any replies guys.
cincinnati
Posted 4/19/2017 1:42 PM (#857789 - in reply to #857727)
Subject: RE: Fishing shad lakes

Shad feed on plankton - primarily phytoplankton - which have no significant means of their own mobility. They are positioned by currents in the water. So shad don't necessarily "prefer" murky water, it's just where an immobile food source is sometimes positioned for them.

A mudline is more significant to predators as an ambush point, whereas the shad are just swimming around w/their mouthes open. If the mudline is evidence of wind/water action on structure causing the shad's food source to concentrate in that place, you may be on to something.

Jeff78
Posted 4/20/2017 6:10 PM (#859030 - in reply to #857727)
Subject: Re: Fishing shad lakes

Another well thought out post by Cincy, about the only thing I can add is that I think some muskies do follow schools of baitfish. I would not use the term always though, that is like saying deer always go to the corn at a certain time. Too many variables to try and pigeonhole what drives fish.
ToddM
Posted 4/20/2017 9:51 PM (#859081 - in reply to #857727)
Subject: Re: Fishing shad lakes

Muskies follow shad, if you find shad, fish them.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)