Fishing solo
Alumacraft11988
Posted 10/15/2014 6:49 AM (#735059)
Subject: Fishing solo

How do you guys do it? I work a odd scheduel and most often can't get a buddy to go with me. I go salmon fishing a lot by myself and that is a pain sometimes trying to drive the boat and set lines. Not to mention landing a big green king or steelie most often I lose them at the boat. I haven't gone by myself musky fishing for this reason I'm not completly confident that I could safely land and quickly release a big guy with just myself in the boat. Any tips?
cave run legend
Posted 10/15/2014 6:59 AM (#735061 - in reply to #735059)
Subject: Re: Fishing solo

Always be sure to have your net already extended and within reach.
BenR
Posted 10/15/2014 7:12 AM (#735062 - in reply to #735059)

Clean boat, wear a lifevest of sorts. Fish alone a bunch, really enjoy it.
tkuntz
Posted 10/15/2014 7:17 AM (#735064 - in reply to #735059)

Having an organized boat helps a ton. Having a net that is big enough, yet light enough for one arm use is also very important. I pretty much always fish alone, it's very possible if you are very careful about safety and have everything set up for yourself before the first fish strikes.
Northwind Mark
Posted 10/15/2014 7:22 AM (#735068 - in reply to #735059)
Subject: RE: Fishing solo

Be patient, methodical. Go slow. Organize your gear so that you can reach things easily.
I would just concentrate on boat control and casting, not trolling. Maybe drifting with a sucker and casting. Try those steps first. Be safe, get a good floatation device also.

It's also very important to be comfortable with yourself...a lot of guys are not.
It is a very rewarding way to fish. I love it. Good luck if you go.
Zib
Posted 10/15/2014 7:44 AM (#735072 - in reply to #735059)

If fishing by yourself you need to be organized. Have everything you need to land/release the fish within arm’s reach. Also make sure you know how to operate the self-timer on your camera. Take some practice pictures using the self-timer before you head out just to make sure you know where to stand/sit with the fish in relation to where you place the camera. Be sure to wear gloves when handling the fish because you don't want to get hand-cuffed by the hooks when fishing by yourself.

I fish by myself a lot on LSC & the Detroit River in a small boat. I have a Stowmaster net that has a long handle extension, which helps a lot when landing a fish by myself. The netting is not the best because it wraps up in the hooks but it goes through the water easily, which is a plus for landing fish by yourself. I recently lost a monster that was pushing mid-50's when trying to net it by myself but I sort of redeemed myself the following week by netting a 50 (took 3 tries to get her in the net).

Fishing by yourself can be VERY relaxing & enjoyable. It's a nice change of pace from not having to put up with my buddy & his annoying cigarette smoke.

Edited by Zib 10/15/2014 7:50 AM
Shoot2Kill
Posted 10/15/2014 8:00 AM (#735073 - in reply to #735059)

Best tip I ever read for fishing solo was to find a way to lock/tie your net handle down to the boat so you can scoop the fish and then secure the net so you can take a moment to gather yourself and get everything ready without having to worry about the net falling in or the fish jumping out. I drilled a hole through my net handle, ran a length of rope through it and put a caribeaner on the rope which I then clip into a few different areas on the opposite side of the boat from where the fish will be. Works great and makes unhooking a fish solo much easier.
mnmusky
Posted 10/15/2014 8:15 AM (#735074 - in reply to #735059)

Can't stress this enough! Have a good set of hook cutters like knippex WITH you. Nothing worse than cutting your fishing time short & driving home with an 8" believer stuck to your arm. You get some weird looks with your arm resting on the window at stop lights. not to mention it's a bit stressful holding down an active pike while trying to remove the lure from the fish and line hoping it don't take a huge chunk of flesh from you.
vegas492
Posted 10/15/2014 8:36 AM (#735078 - in reply to #735059)

I know that the net is an issue...and I get it. I end up fishing alone some of the time. And personally, the last thing I need is another picture of a 30-42 inch fish. I would fully recommend water releasing fish when you are alone. Get a long nosed pliers. Get the fish to the boat, drop the rod, grab the line and your pliers and shake the hook out and watch the fish swim away. Easy on you, easy on the fish.

Now you get a bigger one? Then certainly be ready with the net if you want a quality picture of the fish.

Just a suggestion....
14ledo81
Posted 10/15/2014 8:58 AM (#735086 - in reply to #735078)

vegas492 - 10/15/2014 8:36 AM

I know that the net is an issue...and I get it. I end up fishing alone some of the time. And personally, the last thing I need is another picture of a 30-42 inch fish. I would fully recommend water releasing fish when you are alone. Get a long nosed pliers. Get the fish to the boat, drop the rod, grab the line and your pliers and shake the hook out and watch the fish swim away. Easy on you, easy on the fish.

Now you get a bigger one? Then certainly be ready with the net if you want a quality picture of the fish.

Just a suggestion....

Not a bad idea. If you want pics, take them of the fish in the water. You could even get one of the floating measuring sticks to check length.
Mudpuppy
Posted 10/15/2014 9:31 AM (#735093 - in reply to #735086)

I fish alone sometimes because of my old musky buddies are gone now. All the info above is right on. The key is having the net ready to go. If you can get to quiet water it helps a lot. My biggest 51 1/2" came when I was alone. Its a lot better to share a moment like that with a good musky buddy.

Your mileage may vary,

Mudpuppy
BenR
Posted 10/15/2014 10:12 AM (#735102 - in reply to #735059)

One last thing, I am barbless. Probably the best thing I have ever done going solo. BR
mnmusky
Posted 10/15/2014 10:47 AM (#735109 - in reply to #735059)

^ good call. Best for man & beast.
Ski Patrol
Posted 10/15/2014 10:55 AM (#735112 - in reply to #735102)

BenR - 10/15/2014 10:12 AM

One last thing, I am barbless. Probably the best thing I have ever done going solo. BR

I have often considered this for safety as I fish solo approximately 40% of the time. If I may ask, how is your hook up to landing ratio? Assuming you have barbed experience to compare the two.

Excellent solo advice in this thread.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 10/15/2014 11:16 AM (#735114 - in reply to #735112)

Your boat cleat may just work great for holding the net with a fish in it, try it out before hand.

Set up your camera before you start casting. Something like a Go-Pro is obvious but for years I used a point and shoot on a spotting scope window mount. I can get a picture in about ten seconds.

Definitely carry a good hook cutters.
cave run legend
Posted 10/15/2014 11:26 AM (#735115 - in reply to #735114)

If I have a shot at trophy fish I want a barb. If the water has no shot of holding trophy fish I can care less.
bucknuts
Posted 10/15/2014 12:44 PM (#735127 - in reply to #735059)

I fish solo, 95% of the time.
Great advise, above.
I use the cleat to hold the net.
Don't try to net fish, when it's still green.
I don't fish at night, too much, when fishing solo.
I like fishing solo, now. I can concentrate on what I'm doing, and keep focused on every cast. The guys that come out, occasionally, don't muskie fish that much. That makes it a challenge, to them up to snuff. My one fishing buddy never shuts up! He can't make it 30 seconds, without saying something. It's hard to focus, with that!
Nershi
Posted 10/15/2014 1:21 PM (#735137 - in reply to #735059)

If you have a smart phone you can prop it up, take a video then take snap shots of the video for your photos. Just don't stream music on your phone until it's dead then not be able to take a pic. Pulled that one this year.

I fish solo a lot. The best solo days are usually when your buddies give you a BS reason why they can't make it.

Have all your tools and a way to hold your net and you are set.
IAJustin
Posted 10/15/2014 1:30 PM (#735139 - in reply to #735137)

expanding on a good point by bucknuts.. fight the fish a little while longer (than if you have a partner), do not go for the net too early, muskie become quite dormant when they are "done" - going to be under a 2 minute battle anyway, try to enjoy it. You will lose fish trying to net them green - solo.
Beatsbyair
Posted 10/15/2014 1:40 PM (#735141 - in reply to #735059)

I fish solo a lot. This is what I do. Keep ALL tools near my feet at front of boat. Setup bump board in back of the boat in case I wanna measure it. Keep net handle easy to reach while standing up. If I decide to net the fish, I net it when it's done being crazy and then sit/kneel on the net handle while removing the hooks. This actually works really well. Then I have this app on my iPhone called Photo Timer+. This app is awesome. It lets you take (for example) 10 pics in a row, 5 seconds apart (these settings are all adjustable). So I set it on my pedestal seat cup holder, hit go, pull the fish out, and then pose for the picture. Release fish, and then text the picture to all my a-hole buddies who didn't fish with me that day.

Lot's of small fish never hit the net, or if they do (cause sometimes I think it's easier to deal with them that way) I just dump them back in the water after the hooks are out.

God I love musky fishing.
Propster
Posted 10/15/2014 1:55 PM (#735142 - in reply to #735059)

For those of you that fish solo fairly often I would consider that Robo-Handle the little guy was selling at the shows this spring. I bought one for the few times that I fish alone, which I love to be able to do. Just makes controlling that big net more manageable, you can actually wield it aggressively when you need to, which is very difficult to do with the standard handle and the net being extended. Works like a charm. Goes on and off pretty easily too.

http://robohandle.com/
ulbian
Posted 10/15/2014 3:39 PM (#735164 - in reply to #735078)

vegas492 - 10/15/2014 9:36 AM

Just a suggestion....

This^ x100

If I don't have to do surgery on a fish getting the hooks out when fishing alone it doesn't see the net. If you don't have to net them it eliminates one more step that can be messed up. The net is still ready just in case.

I fish alone most of the time and a considerable amount of this is done at night. I bought a set of halogen auto lights (the little alien eye ones) and wired them into a 12v plug and plug it into a socket that's on a switch. I mounted those lights on a RAM plate so I can adjust it to light up what I need to see. When fishing at night I have that set up at the ready and once a fish is hooked I reach over and hit the switch and the entire side of my boat where I'm bringing the fish is lit up so I can see. Headlamps are useful but having more lighting than one of those can provide has helped a ton in staying safe (can see better where hooks are hung up) and has resulted in more efficient releases after dark.
hambone
Posted 10/15/2014 4:32 PM (#735168 - in reply to #735059)

PM'ed you offline
brianT
Posted 10/15/2014 4:59 PM (#735169 - in reply to #735059)

I also fish solo a lot. I have considered going barbless but have not done so yet but that's really good advice. Everything has been touched on pretty good but a few things I will add is that if you do plan to net the fish, make sure you have a deep bag so that the fish is completely submerged. I tuck the hope section of my net closest to the front of the handle under my boat cleat and let the fish chill out before I start working on them. Feisty fish will chill out if you turn them upside down (tonic immobility.) Also, when I'm trolling solo in the fall and it's windy out, I keep my ipilot deployed but leave the shaft about half way up. When I get a hook up, I grab that rod, put the boat in neutral, and hit spot lock on my ipilot. Keeps the boat in one spot while you fight and work on the fish. Lots of docked boats where I fish, the last thing I want to worry about is getting blown into someone else's boat.

Edited by brianT 10/15/2014 5:00 PM
milje
Posted 10/15/2014 5:38 PM (#735175 - in reply to #735102)

BenR - 10/15/2014 10:12 AM

That's a good idea. I've been giving row trolling a try with my old utility boat, planning on getting an actual row trolling boat over the winter, and need to figure out the best way to do it. Setting up a couple dedicated lures with barbless hooks might be the way to go.

I also do water releases most of the time, a good pair of lineman pliers give you a really good grip on the hook for this.

Edited by milje 10/15/2014 5:40 PM
Larbo
Posted 10/16/2014 11:12 AM (#735283 - in reply to #735059)

I fish alone, yeah
With nobody else
I fish alone, yeah
With nobody else
You know when I fish alone
I prefer to be by myself

Every morning just before breakfast
I don't want no coffee or tea
Just me and good buddy Top Raider
That's all I ever need
'Cause I fish alone, yeah
With nobody else
Yeah, you know when I fish alone
I prefer to be by myself

The other night I laid sleeping
And I woke from a terrible dream
So I caught up my the Cowgirls
And her partner Bucktail
And we fished alone, yeah
With nobody else

Musky Brian
Posted 10/16/2014 1:49 PM (#735302 - in reply to #735283)

I don't really agree with the guys suggesting you not net fish alone...once you get a system down it's really not much more difficult then fishing with anyone else who is inexperienced...

get the fish in the net, aim your trolling motor where you want to go and put it in constant or autopilot, operate on the fish while it is in the water in net, get the hooks out, place a camera on a tripod with a delayed timer ( have it ready to go in a known place before you leave the dock), hit the button , scoop the fish up, smile and let it go....

it can be a bit more challenging but don't let it scare you

there's a guy in this thread who has caught a 57" alone if that wants to give you some more confidence....
backdraft
Posted 10/16/2014 1:50 PM (#735303 - in reply to #735283)

Larbo,

Good one.

I prefer to fish alone as well....

Backdraft

Edited by backdraft 10/16/2014 1:52 PM
ulbian
Posted 10/16/2014 3:01 PM (#735311 - in reply to #735302)

Musky Brian - 10/16/2014 2:49 PM

I don't really agree with the guys suggesting you not net fish alone...once you get a system down it's really not much more difficult then fishing with anyone else who is inexperienced...

get the fish in the net, aim your trolling motor where you want to go and put it in constant or autopilot, operate on the fish while it is in the water in net, get the hooks out, place a camera on a tripod with a delayed timer ( have it ready to go in a known place before you leave the dock), hit the button , scoop the fish up, smile and let it go....

there's a guy in this thread who has caught a 57" alone if that wants to give you some more confidence....

I have my system of netting fish alone down and it has worked very well on countless fish. It's not out of fear that I seldom don't do it, it's a personal choice. As vegas said...why do I need another pic of a smaller fish?

Two scenarios come to mind on when I would net a fish solo.
1) If I needed to corral it in order to remove hooks without injuring it further
2) If it was an extraordinary fish that was worth documenting...size, markings, deformities, scarring, etc.

Again, if you feel the need to take a pic of every last one you catch then that's your decision to make. For others it's our decision not to.
MikeDircz
Posted 10/16/2014 3:35 PM (#735318 - in reply to #735059)

I fished solo several times this fall on Tonka. I liked the fishing solo part a lot. You have to go into a total concentration mode since everything is reliant on you. The only thing that was a pain was putting the boat in and taking it out solo. Especially at the launches where you have to drive a block away to park your truck and trailer.
Musky Brian
Posted 10/16/2014 5:10 PM (#735324 - in reply to #735311)

ulbian - 10/16/2014 3:01 PM

I have my system of netting fish alone down and it has worked very well on countless fish. It's not out of fear that I seldom don't do it, it's a personal choice. As vegas said...why do I need another pic of a smaller fish?

1) If I needed to corral it in order to remove hooks without injuring it further
2) If it was an extraordinary fish that was worth documenting...size, markings, deformities, scarring, etc.

Again, if you feel the need to take a pic of every last one you catch then that's your decision to make. For others it's our decision not to.

I certainly don't photo every fish ...Nor would I feel comfortable lecturing others on my personal feelings on the minimum size needed to be worthy of a photo...to each their own

I just don't see what is so bad about using a net? Shaking off fish at the side of the boat is not always the easiest thing to do... Safer for an angler to have the fish in a net unless he is very experienced imo....
tcbetka
Posted 10/16/2014 5:48 PM (#735327 - in reply to #735059)

I fished alone on Green Bay, more than I fished with a partner. One thing I see has been mentioned, is the barbless hook thing. I am a firm believer in barbless hooks--I see no reason not to use them. Trust me when I tell you that I've read just about every research study, fishing report and angler opinion I could find on the topic. What it came down to for me is safety: It was simply safer for both me and the fish to have barbless hooks involved. Although I didn't catch hundreds of fish while fishing alone, I certainly caught my share. To my knowledge, I never lost a fish because of the lack of barbs--although I freely admit that some of the rips I got might have been hooked had I been using barbs. No way to tell that I guess, so I cannot argue either way.

In the end though, and everyone loves to catch fish so I am not trying to imply that it isn't important, I always took as much satisfaction away from finding the fish, presenting the lure and getting the thing to hit...as I did in catching it. Certainly I wanted to fight it. Who doesn't want to feel a 40+ pound musky on the line? I'm not stupid, lol. All I am saying I guess is that I would much rather lose the fish at the boat in a difficult situation, than hurt myself or injure/kill the fish due to struggling with a big fish. Ask Tom Gelb what that's about.

In terms of netting a fish--that's the only way I'd ever handle a BIG musky. Smaller fish (sub 40-43" fish) I simply un-pinned at boatside and released. Pictures for me are largely irrelevant, as my goal really wasn't to collect pictures of fish I've caught over the years. It's to beat the fish, as I said. One other thing (I think this may have been mentioned too) is that I learned to HATE the Big Kahuna. While it's a huge net to be sure, it'll just about snap your wrist ligaments with any kind of a wind. There are other alternatives now though, so that has become a relative non-issue as I see it.

YMMV, of course.

TB

Edited by tcbetka 10/16/2014 5:50 PM
Wisconsin Wade
Posted 10/16/2014 7:21 PM (#735334 - in reply to #735327)

The biggest and most fish I have caught are when I have fished solo..just ask me...of course I release them all!
vegas492
Posted 10/17/2014 8:10 AM (#735379 - in reply to #735311)

ulbian - 10/16/2014 3:01 PM

Absolutely agree. I've netted a few fish while alone. All to get what ends up being a not so good picture. But at the time I felt I had to do it. Then I started realizing that while fun, a 30-42 inch fish is something I've caught plenty of. No need for pictures, just a quick little release and the sense of satisfaction of catching a fish and watching it swim away.

But, to each their own.
Brad P
Posted 10/17/2014 8:34 AM (#735387 - in reply to #735059)

I fish alone a lot also.

On the net. Having it ready before you ever cast is critical, but it has been said already. Here is a tip for a cheap net modification: Go buy a hockey lace at a local sportshop, They run about $5. Tie one end to the net handle. Then wrap the other end aroudn the handle. When you bag a fish, hook the net on the cleat as mentioned above, then unwrap the lace and tie it off on the opposite cleat. This way the net is secured, the fish cannot get out, and it is sitting in the water. Make sure your net is deep enough if you have tall gunwales. (I like the Power Catch) Assemble the requisite release tools and process the fish. Once the hooks are out and she is clean, then get out your board, set up your camera, whatever. This fish is always in the water and recovering. Take your photo/measurements and then release her. Works like a charm.

Hat tip BTURG on this one, I learned it from him.

Another critical item is the Knippex Bolt Cutter. (No, other brands are not the same) Guys balk at the cost of this thing, but nothing gets hooks out faster or with greater ease. My MI Club did a demo of the cutters at the MN show last spring. The Knippex IS superior. You can stop and try it next April if you have doubts and are in MN.

Edited by Brad P 10/17/2014 8:36 AM
Ryan21
Posted 10/17/2014 9:32 AM (#735397 - in reply to #735059)

More rod holders. Stick the rod in the rod holder and leader the fish in. I haven't fished alone for Muskie but I have leader a bunch of sailfish alone in the cockpit with the captain in the bridge. I would think it would work fine. If you have lots of rod holders, it should be easy to put the rod in one and leader the fish with one hand and into the net. Also, with your salmon, try a gaff. Way under utilized tool in freshwater for bigger fish your are keeping like salmon. Fishing alone is also when you want to keep your pliers on your belt because of the large hooks used for Muskie.
bwalsh
Posted 10/17/2014 9:40 AM (#735398 - in reply to #735059)

"Here is a tip for a cheap net modification: Go buy a hockey lace at a local sportshop, They run about $5. Tie one end to the net handle. "

I use a four foot piece of clothesline duct taped to handle to the net. It works and it doesn't even cost $5. Its just stuff around the house. I got fancy and used black duct tape so it matches the handle.

Don't throw a cast until the handle is extended and you are sure the net is untangled.

Edited by bwalsh 10/17/2014 9:42 AM
Musky Brian
Posted 10/17/2014 10:55 AM (#735410 - in reply to #735397)

Ryan21 - 10/17/2014 9:32 AM

More rod holders. Stick the rod in the rod holder and leader the fish in. I haven't fished alone for Muskie but I have leader a bunch of sailfish alone in the cockpit with the captain in the bridge. I would think it would work fine. If you have lots of rod holders, it should be easy to put the rod in one and leader the fish with one hand and into the net. Also, with your salmon, try a gaff. Way under utilized tool in freshwater for bigger fish your are keeping like salmon. Fishing alone is also when you want to keep your pliers on your belt because of the large hooks used for Muskie.

skindzier
Posted 10/17/2014 12:31 PM (#735413 - in reply to #735059)

Pay attention to your surroundings if you get a fish - One of my first solo outings I was trolling in a fairly strong wind - got a fish that was hooked pretty bad, so it took awhile to get unhooked. As I was giving the fish my undivided attention I drifted onto a reef. Dislodging from a reef solo in wind is NOT fun...
Ryan21
Posted 10/17/2014 3:54 PM (#735435 - in reply to #735410)

Musky Brian - 10/17/2014 11:55 AM

:o

I'm emoticon illiterate. Fishing alone is fun. I'm new to freshwater fishing but have caught many large saltwater fish solo or in a sport fish boat with the captain in the bridge. You've gotta utilize the rod holders.
Ryan21
Posted 10/17/2014 4:06 PM (#735437 - in reply to #735410)

Musky Brian - 10/17/2014 11:55 AM

:o

I'm emoticon illiterate. Fishing alone is fun. I'm new to freshwater fishing but have caught many large saltwater fish solo or in a sport fish boat with the captain in the bridge. You've gotta utilize the rod holders and leader the fish in. You have way more control of the fish that way. Y'all may do that already. I've seen a lot of video where people try to lead their fish into the net using the rod in one arm and the net in the other. Seems very difficult that way. IMO.
esoxaddict
Posted 10/17/2014 4:32 PM (#735438 - in reply to #735437)

Knipex. Back pocket. Obvious reasons.
cave run legend
Posted 10/17/2014 4:32 PM (#735439 - in reply to #735437)

What is leader the fish mean?
Shoot2Kill
Posted 10/17/2014 4:47 PM (#735442 - in reply to #735059)

Some great tips here but some replies make fishing solo sound much harder than it actually is.
- Keep the net ready, practice scooping into the water a few times one handed while controlling the rod with your other arm.
- Play the fish a bit longer, tie the net handle off so you can work on the fish and not worry about the net falling in.
-Have your tools close, you dont have to be wearing them - once you scoop her and tie the net off you have all the time you need to get ready with the fish still in the water.
-Set up a tripod ahead of time and keep it folded up with the camera on it on the side of your boat. Practice taking pics of yourself with the timer so you know where to stand/kneel, take pics of your fish, and release!
- Its really not that hard. No better sense of satisfaction than CPR'ing a fish solo - especially a big fish!!

Edited by Shoot2Kill 10/17/2014 4:53 PM
Ryan21
Posted 10/17/2014 4:51 PM (#735443 - in reply to #735439)

cave run legend - 10/17/2014 5:32 PM

By hand. Once you get him close to the boat, if you are alone, put the rod in the rod holder and handline it to you. That way you can lead the fish to your net with one hand and net it with the other. Most likely you will be close to the water and have a lot more control over the fish versus a 8ft flexible rod bouncing all over. In saltwater you are usually using really light line to a heavy 15-30 ft leader depending on your tackle. So when you have the fish close enough you grab the heavier leader to get the fish boat side for a picture or to boat it. I'm finding out freshwater boats have very few rod holders so that's why I brought that up. When I'm fishing on my friends boat I keep looking for somewhere to put my casting rod when we get bites on suckers or help the kids out. It drives me nuts. When I finally get my own boat, I'm going to put in about 50 rod holders. Lol. Here's a pic I used that technique on when catching a sailfish with just the captain and I in the boat. The only controls are in the bridge so it's kind of fishing solo.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (74KB - 391 downloads)
cave run legend
Posted 10/17/2014 5:10 PM (#735446 - in reply to #735443)

I will stick to easily holding the rod in one hand and scooping the fish up with the other.
mnmusky
Posted 10/17/2014 5:38 PM (#735452 - in reply to #735446)

cave run legend - 10/17/2014 5:10 PM

I will stick to easily holding the rod in one hand and scooping the fish up with the other.

I agree. I wouldnt hand line em in. case in point; A few weeks ago, got my line tangled up with another when trolling by a giant and i still have the cuts on my fingers from the fish pulling line while working the tangle out. might not be too bad with a huge leader but in musky fishing, leaders are not that long. tangled or not, holding that line can cut you easily and quickly like in one head shake.
Ryan21
Posted 10/17/2014 6:15 PM (#735453 - in reply to #735452)

mnmusky - 10/17/2014 6:38 PM

cave run legend - 10/17/2014 5:10 PM

I agree. I wouldnt hand line em in. case in point; A few weeks ago, got my line tangled up with another when trolling by a giant and i still have the cuts on my fingers from the fish pulling line while working the tangle out. might not be too bad with a huge leader but in musky fishing, leaders are not that long. tangled or not, holding that line can cut you easily and quickly like in one head shake.

Muskie gear is heavier than a majority of saltwater gear. However you do it, fishing alone adds an extra degree of difficulty. The hardest part is getting a picture.
esoxaddict
Posted 10/17/2014 6:17 PM (#735454 - in reply to #735443)

Ryan21 - 10/17/2014 4:51 PM

cave run legend - 10/17/2014 5:32 PM

By hand. Once you get him close to the boat, if you are alone, put the rod in the rod holder and handline it to you. That way you can lead the fish to your net with one hand and net it with the other. [...]

I wouldn't do that with braided line. That's a trip to the hospital if you've got the line wrapped around your hand and the fish decides to make one more run.

esoxaddict
Posted 10/17/2014 6:22 PM (#735456 - in reply to #735059)

I'll say it again. Knipex. Back pocket. I know I can reach them there if I'm hooked to a fish that's tangled up in the net. Having them out or nearby or even on the floor next to you isn't going to help if they're on your right and it's your right hand that's hooked. Being hooked is bad enough. Being hooked to a fish that's thrashing in the net because you're fumbling around trying to get to your hook cutters probably sucks.
brianT
Posted 10/17/2014 6:32 PM (#735457 - in reply to #735059)

I wouldn't want to try leadering a Muskie. That's just asking for trouble. It's a totally diffrent ball game leadering a Sailfish or Marlin. Saltwater leaders are much longer, Muskie have teeth, and you're not leadering a hot fish with teeth into a net on the ocean. Most saltwater fish with teeth get the gaff.
mnmusky
Posted 10/17/2014 6:48 PM (#735459 - in reply to #735456)

esoxaddict - 10/17/2014 6:22 PM

I'll say it again. Knipex. Back pocket. I know I can reach them there if I'm hooked to a fish that's tangled up in the net. Having them out or nearby or even on the floor next to you isn't going to help if they're on your right and it's your right hand that's hooked. Being hooked is bad enough. Being hooked to a fish that's thrashing in the net because you're fumbling around trying to get to your hook cutters probably sucks.

Been there done that. IT DOES SUCK!!!! Problem is, didnt have knipex with me but did have a pliers in my back left pocket and 2 of 3 barbs buried to the shank in my left fore arm with a peey pike attached to another treble. I had to put the pike on the deck, pin it with my knees (looked like a bad game of twister) all bent over as my arm was close to the pike. Problem #2, being in the awkward position, I couldnt reach the pliers with my right hand to the left rear pocket. Ended up playing strip twister and pulled my shorts down enough to get to the pliers. all in all, managed to unhook the pike get home to my beloved knipex, cut the hooks, go to urgent care (but they couldnt do it) then drive to the emergency room to have 2 barbs and the remainder of the hook surgically cut out from my arm to the tune of $700 out of pocket( and thats with insurance). I also have some permanent numbness where the fun stuck. All I can say is KNIPEX, DONT LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Alumacraft11988
Posted 10/17/2014 8:17 PM (#735468 - in reply to #735059)

Great advise guys went Thursday by my self and it wasn't bad except for losing one on a sucker .
cave run legend
Posted 10/17/2014 8:27 PM (#735470 - in reply to #735468)

If you have strong hands a 10$ pair of cutters works as well as knipex.
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 10/17/2014 8:29 PM (#735471 - in reply to #735059)

Windy day netting tip, make sure you lead the fish to side of the boat with the wind at your back before getting the net. I almost lost my 1st solo musky because of being blown away from it while trying to net it. I also have a thick pair of welders gloves I can slip on if the fish is hooked bad or thrashing a lot and I need to get close to the hooks. Someone suggested this a couple years ago. They won't prevent big hooks from piercing, but may prevent the barb from becoming imbedded in you. Hooks are cheap though, carry spares and cut any hook that doesn't pop out easily. My Knipex have convinced 2 people this year they need to get some, so pick up a pair.
esoxaddict
Posted 10/17/2014 8:48 PM (#735478 - in reply to #735470)

cave run legend - 10/17/2014 8:27 PM

And even if they don't work as well, you'll be glad you saved the $20 when you're hooked to a $30 lure that's attached to a $500 combo, inside a $120 net, in a $30,000 boat that you dragged to the lake behind a $40,000 truck...

Just sayin'..
Ryan21
Posted 10/18/2014 6:41 AM (#735498 - in reply to #735457)

brianT - 10/17/2014 7:32 PM

I wouldn't want to try leadering a Muskie. That's just asking for trouble. It's a totally diffrent ball game leadering a Sailfish or Marlin. Saltwater leaders are much longer, Muskie have teeth, and you're not leadering a hot fish with teeth into a net on the ocean. Most saltwater fish with teeth get the gaff.

Our leader are 30-40 lb test for sailfish so it's mostly finger tipping the fish boat side. They get line shy of anything heavier and our mainline is 12lb test in tournaments and 20lb normal fishing. I get what you are saying though. Each individual fish acts different at boat side. Our first muskie I had to pull in by hand because it wrapped up in the anchor. Luckily that fish quit jumping after that because I had no gloves on. That was also on a sucker rig and it was hooked on the back hook. I'd be very hesitant to do the same thing on a lure caught fish. Muskie lures scare me with a hot fish boat side. As for the teeth, they aren't too bad if you are cautious. Hope I don't jinx my fingers with that statement. I fully intend to use a net tomorrow if we get lucky and get my 10 year old his first Muskie.
tundrawalker00
Posted 10/18/2014 7:26 AM (#735501 - in reply to #735498)

Trolling kings/steelhead/browns alone sucks. The bungee pilot never keeps the #*^@ boat running straight.
miket55
Posted 10/18/2014 5:16 PM (#735544 - in reply to #735470)

cave run legend - 10/17/2014 9:27 PM

These work just as well too..

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Crescent-9-in-Pro-Series-Diagonal-Cuttin...

Edited by miket55 10/18/2014 5:25 PM
brianT
Posted 10/18/2014 8:53 PM (#735562 - in reply to #735498)

Ryan21 - 10/18/2014 7:41 AM

brianT - 10/17/2014 7:32 PM

Our leader are 30-40 lb test for sailfish so it's mostly finger tipping the fish boat side. They get line shy of anything heavier and our mainline is 12lb test in tournaments and 20lb normal fishing. I get what you are saying though. Each individual fish acts different at boat side. Our first muskie I had to pull in by hand because it wrapped up in the anchor. Luckily that fish quit jumping after that because I had no gloves on. That was also on a sucker rig and it was hooked on the back hook. I'd be very hesitant to do the same thing on a lure caught fish. Muskie lures scare me with a hot fish boat side. As for the teeth, they aren't too bad if you are cautious. Hope I don't jinx my fingers with that statement. I fully intend to use a net tomorrow if we get lucky and get my 10 year old his first Muskie.

Don't underestimate them, I had a small 35" gator roll on me and caught my thumb tip with one tooth and laid it wide open.
Cody
Posted 10/19/2014 8:44 AM (#735583 - in reply to #735059)

With reading on this topic I too am definately considering going barbless, a dead fish would absolutely ruin my day of fishing ! I have multiple pairs of Knipex and put a safety lanyard on almost everything i.e. rods, net, pliers. I almost lost a St. Croix rod and reel. Great advice here, love this site too !
ESOX Maniac
Posted 10/19/2014 11:14 AM (#735594 - in reply to #735583)

Barbless since 1996, no regrets, and "ditto" - what Tom B. said I can't really say I've lost any because I'm barbless, I do catch a few fish, just not the one muskie that really counts for me! It a lot easier to release myself when I'm fishing solo. The hunt continues.

BTW- Those pike & muskie teeth have serrated edges just like a great white shark, that's why they cut like a razor! Don't believe me, pull one & look at it under a microscope.

Have fun!
Al
Alumacraft11988
Posted 10/19/2014 5:56 PM (#735660 - in reply to #735594)

ESOX Maniac - 10/19/2014 11:14 AM

Barbless since 1996, no regrets, and "ditto" - what Tom B. said I can't really say I've lost any because I'm barbless, I do catch a few fish, just not the one muskie that really counts for me! It a lot easier to release myself when I'm fishing solo. The hunt continues.

BTW- Those pike & muskie teeth have serrated edges just like a great white shark, that's why they cut like a razor! Don't believe me, pull one & look at it under a microscope.

Have fun!
Al

Yes they do I had one stuck in my knuckle of my thumb 2 years ago that I pulled out with tweezers and a magnifying glass. That really did not feel too good that fish got a peice of me haha.
tcbetka
Posted 10/19/2014 8:01 PM (#735680 - in reply to #735059)

I have taken out my share of hooks from people when I used to work in the ER, years back. I've never understood why more people don't fish with barbless hooks, and when I'd mention it to someone after I'd just injected a few CC's of lidocaine into their hand with a BIG needle and then cut out the hook(s)...they all seemed to agree that they wished they had gone that route.

Live and learn, I guess...

TB
lscmuskiemaniac92
Posted 10/22/2014 7:07 PM (#736196 - in reply to #735059)

Nothing like pulling in a big muskie solo
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rVmSnSrZcG4
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IExYO3tJCUQ

Edited by lscmuskiemaniac92 10/22/2014 7:08 PM
cave run legend
Posted 10/22/2014 8:16 PM (#736211 - in reply to #736196)

lscmuskiemaniac92 - 10/22/2014 8:07 PM

Nothing like pulling in a big muskie solo
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rVmSnSrZcG4
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IExYO3tJCUQ

Almost lost his pants pulling it in.
lscmuskiemaniac92
Posted 10/22/2014 8:50 PM (#736230 - in reply to #735059)

Almost lol good thing I had shorts under. As guys have said before make sure net and tools are handy. When trolling I like to wear the fish down and put the boat in N when It gets close so I can net it from the side of the boat. Always slide fish into net never reach with the net!!!
Ranger
Posted 12/5/2014 9:56 PM (#742897 - in reply to #735059)

I always use a good net, gloves and release tools. It's easy to get badly hooked doing boat-side (no net) releases with pliers if the fish thrashes while you're hanging over the boat with your hands in its hooked face.

I was once using long pliers and just when I grabbed the hook (Poe's Giant Jackpot) the fish thrashed and I jerked my hand up. But my hand didn't go up far because one hook was still in the thrashing fish and one hook was sunk as far as possible in a finger. Eventually got the fish off but couldn't get the hook out, of course, and due to shock I passed out while underway back to the launch. Hit a tree and woke up falling out of the boat with that Jackpot and its needle-sharp hooks swinging around like a nun-chuck, almost hooked my face. I was fishing alone on a remote water in the Yoop at the time. So, I believe safety requires a good net.
Joe Cal
Posted 12/8/2014 7:24 PM (#743262 - in reply to #735059)

Its been said before but you NEED to have a good net. Hook cutters, tape measure, camera. Can't tell you how many times I see guys fishing from shore without a net... This just doesn't make any sense to me especially since you should be using the net like a live well while your getting your tools ready. Boggles my mind when talking to these guys when they say its all about the safety of the fish and yet when/if they caught a big one to take a picture of they would have to hold it by the gillplate while also trying to get their pliers and camera ready while also sometimes fighting current.
I NEVER fish without having my net, tools, and camera, and tape measure. Plain and simple, without one or more of these items I will just turnaround and go home to get em.
bob s
Posted 1/3/2015 9:16 AM (#746390 - in reply to #735059)

I fish alone most of the time on ny waters and try to keep it all safe as can be.I minimize nite fishing to just before sunup and maybe an hour or so after sundown.Not the best conditions for being solo but ya gotta smart about what ya do.I use two gps units for navigating and mark hazards ALOT.Use caution in new areas.As far as pics i try to have my camera on a tripod before i start fishing.Know your water and surroundings!!!!Navigate safely.I`ve been fish`n the st.lawerence lately so navigation/saftey is of the utmost importance.I always have an eye out for others on any water be it fisherman(don`t crowd them) or the yahoos out water skiing,pleasure boating or on jetskies that NEVER seem to see you.My release aids are always in the same spot and i have a lockblade clipped to my pocket incase i need to cut my net or whatever.Good net(make sure it`s big enough to handle the species you are after!!! I use a beckman finsaver )has long handle and i use salty rod holders one either side of the boat so the net can lay across the boat in both holders while keeping it secure and the fish at peace.Seen too often a tiny bass net in a musky boat.I use a 60"floating bump board and also have a floating stick and seamstress tape.Let someone know the general area you`ll be fishing.I don`t wear gloves to handle fish(loose my sense of feel).Bob S
muskyrat
Posted 1/4/2015 7:34 AM (#746500 - in reply to #735059)

It`s a lot easier if you have a livewell or fishthanks. Just put the fish in and wave someone over for pictures. The problem is as Horsehunter pointed out is almost all fish are under the size limit and are not allowed on board these days. No point netting if pictures are illegal. Your just incriminating yourself. This sport has changed. You really are not supposed to photograph them anymore. It`s the law!
jerryb
Posted 1/4/2015 3:22 PM (#746567 - in reply to #746500)

Ranger, crazy story.
I don't think I'd go completely barbless but can see the upside while running a camera. 

In Canada last fall our trip was filled with obstacles and rewards. Some of the rewards were getting into many schools of big walleyes but even after landing a few hundred fish we were quickly reminded you can never let your guard down, solo or otherwise. On one particular day we decided to map an area that we had not worked out yet and wouldn't you know it, Chris hits a fish on our second trolling pass this one a 30"er which was our 19th walleye over 26". Next thing you know he decides to hand land the fish and just that quick he's got a hook in his wrist. We are 20-30 minutes from the ramp and 45 minutes from the nearest hospital. Im thinking I'm going to loose my best fishing bud but he's saying stuff like, "We have really good weather" " its no big deal" and "let's keep fishing". Now that's a fishing partner!!! After a coupe unsuccessful attempts at hook removable we packed up and headed for town.

(image-19.jpg)

(image-28.jpg)

(image-14.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image-19.jpg (355KB - 436 downloads)
Attachments image-28.jpg (343KB - 459 downloads)
Attachments image-14.jpg (326KB - 464 downloads)