Favorite Rod Holders and why?
MuskyKarma
Posted 9/10/2014 9:12 AM (#729444)
Subject: Favorite Rod Holders and why?

Right now I currently have a set of Fish On rodholders. They are nice for walleye fishing but they do not have enough strength or build to handle trolling muskies. I actually had a ski rip the rod holder and rod off my boat and had to dive in mid troll to grab my rod in the middle of the river last weekend and enough was enough.

What rod holders do you all use/prefer?

Looking for something very stable that can handle xxxh rods trolling at high speeds.
lennyg3
Posted 9/10/2014 10:07 AM (#729454 - in reply to #729444)
Subject: Re: Favorite Rod Holders and why?

Most importantly, did you catch that fish? haha.
I have down east rail mounts on my boat and like them very much.
kyle smoker tackle
Posted 9/10/2014 10:15 AM (#729455 - in reply to #729444)
Subject: RE: Favorite Rod Holders and why?

Folbes.
#1 ease of rod removal
#2 they also lock rods in when nessasary
#3 they do not chew up cork handles
IAJustin
Posted 9/10/2014 10:29 AM (#729458 - in reply to #729455)

my left hand ..trolling and suckers should be outlawed
MuskyKarma
Posted 9/10/2014 10:33 AM (#729459 - in reply to #729454)

lennyg3 - 9/10/2014 10:07 AM

yes i did catch the fish and it was under 40" haha definitely the wildest fishing moment of my life
anzomcik
Posted 9/10/2014 12:08 PM (#729470 - in reply to #729444)

I use down east, i like them. I have used flobes, they were nice. I make my own mounts for down east so i can tip them by pulling up on the rod butt grip. My friend broke two rods this year useing down east, if thats worth anything, he hit a giant patch of floating weeds with the rod tip in the water, so there is little give.

My chevy is better than your ford, my shimano is better than your abu, my braid is better than your braid, my hooks are sharper than your hooks... Pick the style you like, because there is no clear cut "better" rod holder, only opinions on a personal situation.
muddymusky
Posted 9/10/2014 7:47 PM (#729561 - in reply to #729444)

Down east because they are metal and work great! 2nd would be scotty orcas.
pklingen
Posted 9/13/2014 6:11 AM (#729897 - in reply to #729444)

down east...................there is no second for that $.
Wood_Duck
Posted 9/13/2014 6:41 AM (#729900 - in reply to #729444)

Left hand followed by Folbe. Much less fight to remove than what I've saw with the down east
Riley-H
Posted 9/13/2014 12:51 PM (#729927 - in reply to #729470)

Would you mind showing us the mount youve made anzomcik?
vegas492
Posted 9/13/2014 12:55 PM (#729928 - in reply to #729444)

I had the down easters on an older boat. Metal. Great rod holders.
I didn't like them on my new Ranger rail or my cleat mounts, so I swapped them out for Scotty's.
Scotty's are plastic but they've done a good job for me. Easier to get the rod out with a Scotty than my down easters. But mind you, I don't troll much, when I use rod holders, it is typically for running suckers. I may only troll artificials for 5-10 hours a year.
lifeisfun
Posted 9/13/2014 2:19 PM (#729932 - in reply to #729455)

kyle smoker tackle - 9/10/2014 11:15 AM

Folbes.
#1 ease of rod removal
#2 they also lock rods in when nessasary
#3 they do not chew up cork handles

Exactly!
anzomcik
Posted 9/13/2014 8:57 PM (#729973 - in reply to #729927)

Riley-H - 9/13/2014 1:51 PM

Would you mind showing us the mount youve made anzomcik?

I made different bases for my friends, and ended up making a combo base because some of my friends could not deciede if they wanted a track or to bolt them directly to the gunnal.

Anyway these are my personal ones, I am using a track, I made spacers between the holders so they can not slide down the track. I wanted more than the thumb screw, its over kill. I can run up to 3 holders on this track I have.

I like to be able to tip the holder, and I had the rail mount salty but I couldn't remove them with out taking a lot of time to do it, they were in the way of my friends who cast from the back deck. These just slide off in seconds, and store away nicely

They keep the features that are nice about the salty but add the versatility of the track and tipable rod holder
They work very well for me.

photo photo4_zpsadf70381.jpg
 photo photo32_zps08b1aaab.jpg
 photo photo5_zps221b8632.jpg
horsehunter
Posted 9/14/2014 6:34 AM (#730000 - in reply to #729444)

SWEET
Jerry Newman
Posted 9/14/2014 8:45 AM (#730010 - in reply to #730000)

I've been power trolling with DEs for a long time with only a couple minor issues, I would not consider anything else for muskie myself... but to each their own.

When rail mounted, they have a fairly low profile and I've had no issues or complaints just leaving them in place while casting. I have had the DEs chew up the trigger of the reel seat, but never the cork, and you are basically a wing-nut spin away from removing them for casting, a quick pivot of the remaining base and it's nearly flush on the rail... that is if it really bothers you, or for longer term casting situations.

They are the most efficient rod holders for muskie by design, and you can quickly and easily remove a loaded rod from one of these holders once you get the hang of it. I have had a few people in the boat over the years who had a problem getting them out of the holder and then dropping them back in the pocket, so I understand what some of you are saying in that regard. 

However, for me it is just as important to be as proficient at maintaining and setting lines trolling, as it is with casting.  More times than I can count, (or more accurately remember), I have cleaned a fouled bait, dropped it back out and almost instantly had a hit... every second counts. In short, DEs definitely help to keep my boat running optimally. 

Any more they are almost automatic for me, and I will occasionally do a one-handed lure check with a prop wash down rod by pivoting the DE on the rail while only holding the rod butt. I lift the rod with a snap to keep the DE open, then lift the bait to the surface, check the bait, and then drop it back in the open holder, a quick pivot, and the rod is back in the water at an almost 90° angle to the boat in 10 seconds. 

As mentioned (pictured) by Andrew, being able to easily pivot the DE to maximize the prop wash bite is what really separates them from all others IMHO. 

RiverMan
Posted 9/15/2014 8:42 PM (#730264 - in reply to #729444)

This is what I use, had others but these I love. Even the hardest salmon bite where the rod is doubled will come right out no problem.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8msqDOEMgoI
Emptynet
Posted 9/16/2014 7:35 PM (#730390 - in reply to #729444)

Folbe. Just like what Kyle said.
cave run legend
Posted 9/16/2014 7:52 PM (#730393 - in reply to #730390)

I run Scotty power blocks. I like how when you lock the rod in, its not coming out.
ToddM
Posted 9/16/2014 9:26 PM (#730401 - in reply to #729444)

Never say never but I like my Scotty rod holders. The way I see it, they would have less a chance failing than flouro leaders but we all continue to use them. Having said this I have used down east rod holders. I find them to be a giant pain in the ass. The stick, they are not easy to engage and you can't two hand a rod into one. Holding a rod loaded with a TX 44 board with one hand while lifting up the rod holder then setting it, not interested. I will stick with my Scotty.
achotrod
Posted 9/16/2014 10:05 PM (#730404 - in reply to #729459)

MuskyKarma - 9/10/2014 10:33 AM

lennyg3 - 9/10/2014 10:07 AM

yes i did catch the fish and it was under 40" haha definitely the wildest fishing moment of my life

You my man need a go pro lol
ShutUpNFish
Posted 9/17/2014 12:22 PM (#730482 - in reply to #729444)

This debate is getting old.....Nuff said with this pic...It doesn't get any better for me.

I used Fish-Ons for years and they held up pretty good...The rail mounts did crack over time because plastic oxidizes and gets brittle in the sun. Now I have holders made from all machined aluminum and SS...fully adjustable in ANY possible position you want with the simple and quick flip of a lever. FYI, My DE do not chew or mark the cork whatsoever and if you are a competent person, pulling rods out (even under pressure) is simple. My 11 and 9 y/o sons do it regularly.
Musky952
Posted 9/18/2014 5:57 PM (#730718 - in reply to #729444)

Can someone PM me if they know where to find rod holders for an old alumicraft boat? I don't have rails to mount them on like new boats do. I almost need a C clamp kind of rod holder. If someone knows of good quality rod holders like what I described please PM me.

(My arms cant take it anymore lol)
cave run legend
Posted 9/18/2014 6:24 PM (#730725 - in reply to #729444)

Problem solved: Rails make it so easy to put the rod tips in the water.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Ranger-Style-Hand-Rails/738080.uts?p...
Jerry Newman
Posted 9/18/2014 8:09 PM (#730757 - in reply to #730401)

Todd, Try setting the rod in the holder while the line is still running out, even if you have to wind some line back on the reel… still way easier than trying to put a loaded rod in a holder. You can also pull the rod/line forward a couple of feet then quickly drop the reel into the holder on a semi-slack line… that's how I'm able to remove and reset a rod in a holder using only one hand without even touching the DE.

Also, rather than always removing the rod from the holder to wind it in, you can reel it in close to the boat while it's still in the holder because there is no slop (one of the reasons I don't use a tube for my outside board rods).  These are just some of my "good habits", makes a big difference with big baits on boards... reel in a plow, no problem if left in the holder with a little help from the guy at the helm. 

Took a quick picture of my set-up today...  I rotate the down rods out the water every time to remove the load generated from the rod being in the water.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(9-18-14 rod holders.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 9-18-14 rod holders.jpg (70KB - 863 downloads)
Big Dangler
Posted 9/25/2014 8:49 AM (#731759 - in reply to #729444)

FOLBE so simple, so easy.
bryantukkah
Posted 9/25/2014 11:50 PM (#731879 - in reply to #731759)

Cisco systems dipsy cradle holders with the chicken rings. All machined aluminum and stainless. Nothing to break or wear out. The rod can never come out of the rod holder... Ever. They rotate 360 degrees and have a mandible arm on them to tilt up and down super fast and wherever you want them to be. i through bolted them to my transom with 5/8" stainless hardware... you couldnt break, pull, or move them if you paid me to. Theyre really slick looking too, and they make a quick release mount for them, pull up on the knob and they slide right out with no loose parts to lose. Not the cheapest by any stretch but neither are the rods im using or the line, leader and baits theyre pulling. Ive seen down easters buckle and pop open and rods go in the drink before, especially if theyre angled down and backwards like i like to have them. Im not going to let it happen to me, especially when I'm hours away from home in the middle of nowhere on a week long trip where I'm all but expecting to hook into 40+lb fish.
ShutUpNFish
Posted 9/26/2014 7:11 AM (#731894 - in reply to #731879)

bryantukkah - 9/25/2014 11:50 PM

Cisco systems dipsy cradle holders with the chicken rings. All machined aluminum and stainless. Nothing to break or wear out. The rod can never come out of the rod holder... Ever. They rotate 360 degrees and have a mandible arm on them to tilt up and down super fast and wherever you want them to be. i through bolted them to my transom with 5/8" stainless hardware... you couldnt break, pull, or move them if you paid me to. Theyre really slick looking too, and they make a quick release mount for them, pull up on the knob and they slide right out with no loose parts to lose. Not the cheapest by any stretch but neither are the rods im using or the line, leader and baits theyre pulling. Ive seen down easters buckle and pop open and rods go in the drink before, especially if theyre angled down and backwards like i like to have them. Im not going to let it happen to me, especially when I'm hours away from home in the middle of nowhere on a week long trip where I'm all but expecting to hook into 40+lb fish.

Cisco makes top of the line gear no doubt! I thought about using the cradle as well since I am a Cisco partner....However, the only issue there is that you have to grind off the triggers on rods that have them... theres no trigger slot on the Cisco cradle holders. I may have to try a couple of those though....

Do you use the short one or the longer model?
bryantukkah
Posted 9/26/2014 11:01 AM (#731947 - in reply to #731894)

ShutUpNFish - 9/26/2014 8:11 AM

bryantukkah - 9/25/2014 11:50 PM

Cisco makes top of the line gear no doubt! I thought about using the cradle as well since I am a Cisco partner....However, the only issue there is that you have to grind off the triggers on rods that have them... theres no trigger slot on the Cisco cradle holders. I may have to try a couple of those though....

Do you use the short one or the longer model?

The ones ive got hold rods with triggers no problem... I believe they modified the design on them to do so recently, mine for sure have a trigger slot theyre sweet. The long cradles can now hold spinning gear as well. I use the short ones, purely because i dont troll all day and didnt want them to be in the way when casting and they stow away easier than the long ones when i take them off, gadgets like these have a tendency to disappear in gas station parking lots and the like so i dont leave them out in the open if i dont need to.
jano
Posted 9/27/2014 4:14 PM (#732120 - in reply to #729444)

downeast,because they are not made out of plastic and they can handle big lure,they will never fail at you even when its minus 80
RiverMan
Posted 9/28/2014 7:19 AM (#732183 - in reply to #729444)

If you ever tried a Folbe or Scotty Orca you wouldn't want anything else. They are plastic but I have never had one fail and our salmon here on the west coast pound them as hard as any fish in freshwater. The thing that makes them so nice is you just lift the rod straight up when you get a bite. I had fish-ons before the Orcas and several times had chinook pound so hard that it was almost impossible to get the rod out of the holder. They are a fantastic piece of equipment. Good luck.

RM
Masqui-ninja
Posted 9/28/2014 8:43 AM (#732185 - in reply to #732183)

Folbe for me.
bryantukkah
Posted 9/28/2014 3:32 PM (#732244 - in reply to #732120)

jano - 9/27/2014 5:14 PM

downeast,because they are not made out of plastic and they can handle big lure,they will never fail at you even when its minus 80

Minus 80 huh? I only cast when its below minus 60.
Jerry Newman
Posted 10/1/2014 5:18 PM (#732848 - in reply to #731879)

bryantukkah - 9/25/2014 11:50 PM Cisco systems dipsy cradle holders with the chicken rings. All machined aluminum and stainless. Nothing to break or wear out. The rod can never come out of the rod holder... Ever. They rotate 360 degrees and have a mandible arm on them to tilt up and down super fast and wherever you want them to be. i through bolted them to my transom with 5/8" stainless hardware... you couldnt break, pull, or move them if you paid me to. Theyre really slick looking too, and they make a quick release mount for them, pull up on the knob and they slide right out with no loose parts to lose. Not the cheapest by any stretch but neither are the rods im using or the line, leader and baits theyre pulling. Ive seen down easters buckle and pop open and rods go in the drink before, especially if theyre angled down and backwards like i like to have them. Im not going to let it happen to me, especially when I'm hours away from home in the middle of nowhere on a week long trip where I'm all but expecting to hook into 40+lb fish.

Although I'm happy with my DEs, this Cisco holder looks solid and a great option for you guys who don't like DEs, or plastic.