bucktail lure components - bead question
d2bucktail
Posted 7/15/2014 5:23 PM (#720820)
Subject: bucktail lure components - bead question

I've been making bucktails of all types for a long time - not many per year, but I enjoy making them and giving them away when appropriately timed. Like when I fish with someone for the first time, I usually give them one of my bucktails. And, although I'm still waiting to stick my first 50+ ski, one of my bucktails was used by a good friend to successfully catch and release a 50.25!

Anyway, I was re-supplying some of my empty component compartment today including lots of solid brass beads (brass, nickel and copper). My lure parts supplier had just a very few solid brass beads left and told me he's not planning to re-order because they are so expensive. He did have a good selection of hollow beads.

Do those of you who make high-quality spinners use hollow beads? I'm thinking I'd like to keep using the solid beads because their quality seems superior.

Thoughts?
mnmusky
Posted 7/15/2014 6:31 PM (#720828 - in reply to #720820)
Subject: Re: bucktail lure components - bead question

keep using the solids. I like heavier bucktails IMO.
ToddM
Posted 7/15/2014 6:51 PM (#720829 - in reply to #720820)

Hollow beads are ok just don't use one against the clevise. They are not smooth. Use a solid bead there.
FISHFINDER101
Posted 7/16/2014 8:00 AM (#720871 - in reply to #720820)

I like to use all solid beads when I do not use a lure body, it comes out to just about the same price. If I do use a lure body then i use hollow beads the majority of the time, except for a small solid bead under the clevis. Depending on size of the bucktail I'm making it's usually a 3/16", 5/32" or 1/4". Smaller solid beads are really not that expensive and I buy them in bulk to drop the prices. With that being said i've also used hollow beads under the clevis and on some you can not tell the difference.