Piranhas in Lake of the Ozarks
cjrich
Posted 7/7/2011 7:11 PM (#506190)
Subject: Piranhas in Lake of the Ozarks

I just watched a show on cable dedicated to documenting that at one point or another during each of the past few fishing seasons; Piranhas have been caught out of Lake of the Ozarks.

It seems that there are specific portions of that lake whereby the water stays warm enough in winter for them to survive. The notion that these fish may be breeding and their numbers growing seems pretty scary. At least Snakeheads and Asian Carp are not know for attacking humans.

O.K. kids ... everyone into the water ...
Stan Durst 1
Posted 7/7/2011 8:39 PM (#506208 - in reply to #506190)
Subject: RE: Piranhas in Lake of the Ozarks

I watched the same program tonight. They are investigating the possibility of them surviving in water temps around 50 degrees. Very scary it is. People who have them in an aquarium dump them in lakes when they get too big. They should be given to Zoos or destroyed.
missourimuskyhunter
Posted 7/7/2011 9:19 PM (#506215 - in reply to #506190)

I think anything can survive in that lake.It's very disturbing to dive that lake and see everything that lays in the bottom.I would never swim in that lake or even think of eating anything out of it.
cjrich
Posted 7/7/2011 9:32 PM (#506216 - in reply to #506190)
Subject: Re: Piranhas in Lake of the Ozarks

missourimuskyhunter,

Interesting that you bring that up. During the show they had a guy diving to see-what-he-could-see down there. It seems that he came upon some sort of man-made fish attractor and they had used electrical wire to try and secure the structure.

As he described the situation once he made it back onto a dock ... the wires tore his wet suit and the guy was freaking out because he was bleeding, as he was looking for Piranhas to begin with. It appeared that the diver was afraid he might be attacked by a swarm of the voracious toothy critters.

Edited by cjrich 7/7/2011 9:39 PM
happy hooker
Posted 7/8/2011 6:52 AM (#506234 - in reply to #506216)
Subject: Re: Piranhas in Lake of the Ozarks

I also saw a show that said theres probably a small group of king cobras mating in Floridas everglades
MissouriWayne
Posted 7/8/2011 9:11 AM (#506250 - in reply to #506190)

There have been many reports of catfish at the base of Bagnell Dam that are the size of VW's and the Missouri state record muskies came from Lake of the Ozarks. Who knows what other surprises lurk in the depths.
Bantam50
Posted 7/8/2011 10:12 AM (#506253 - in reply to #506250)

Fished Lake of the Ozarks once in the mid-90's. Lake levels were very low at that time. Beached the boat and walked around to take a break at one point and we found several bags of medical waste. Needles, syringes, stuff that people could have easily stepped on if the water was up and someone was swimming there. No idea where it came from but it was in the blue garbage bags just like they use at hospitals. Scary stuff.