Fishing in Eau Claire Area
Posted 6/29/2004 9:18 AM (#110674)
Subject: Fishing in Eau Claire Area

I just graduated from High School in central Wisconsin and am going to college in Eau Claire next year. I was wondering if anybody could help me out in spots to fish. I have family there, but no one that fishes at all. Preferrably musky info., but I like to bass fish also. I won't be able to fish late fall because of football, but in late summer I should have lots of time (Early to Late August). Any information would be very helpful, Thank You Very Much, Jake Bucki
Posted 6/29/2004 9:44 AM (#110686 - in reply to #110674)
Subject: RE: Fishing in Eau Claire Area

Jake,

Both the Eau Claire River and the Chippewa River in town hold muskie and walleye. Both rivers also host some fantastic smallmouth fishing. The Eau Claire is too small and shallow for a boat but is very fishable by wading or out of a canoe. The Chippewa is large enough to use a boat but I would recommend fishing it by wading and out of a canoe before you start chewing up propellors on the rocks. Lake WIssota is about ten miles north and also contains Muskie, Walleye and smallmouth in respectible numbers. Wissota requires a boat and there are a couple of navigational hazzards there but are well marked on maps.

Fred J
Mark Hintz
Posted 6/29/2004 3:02 PM (#110730 - in reply to #110674)

Jake,

What Fred said is on-the-mark...you get moved to town call me maybe we can get together some time.

Mark Hintz
www.muskyadventures.com
Eau Claire, WI
Jono
Posted 6/29/2004 3:57 PM (#110745 - in reply to #110674)

Jake, if you are interested in Muskies Inc. consider joining our local chapter. We are the First WI Chapter out of EC/Chip Falls. http://firstwi.muskiesinc.org

This is a great way to learn the local waters - we have on the water meetings every month during the summer.

Jon Olstadt
First WI Chapter Board Member
Public Relations/Program Director
[email protected]

kevin
Posted 6/29/2004 8:28 PM (#110764 - in reply to #110674)

I have heard that Lake Altoona has some Musky, but no idea on how good of a population.
pbrostuen
Posted 6/30/2004 8:34 PM (#110897 - in reply to #110674)

Jake, you are in for some good times. I spent my college years fishing muskies in the EC area. Everything already posted about fishing the RIV is right on. A month or two ago I promised someone else a list of good spots for shore fishing for muskies. I'll get that together here soon and shoot you a copy if you like. Once you get off campus you might want to invest in a cheap little aluminum boat for the river. I think I spent $300 on a 14 foot alumacraft, and it turned out to be the perfect boat for the Riv and occassional jaunts to the local lakes.

You really should consider taking Mark up on his offer, and/or joining MI. There are tons of good muskie lakes w/in an hour of EC. I liked Potato, and the Clear/Island/McCann Chain about an hour north.

Medford Fisher
Posted 7/21/2004 5:04 PM (#112716 - in reply to #110674)

Thank you everyone for replying. It's nice knowing you have other fishermen out there who are willing to be as helpful as you guys. I don't have anytime right now to reply to you guys individually but will in the near future. Thanks again, Jake

P.S. Caught a nice 44-incher the other weekend.