Terrova spot lock cutting out?
Musky_Mo16
Posted 6/4/2018 10:13 PM (#909162)
Subject: Terrova spot lock cutting out?

I was out on Lake Michigan this weekend it was pretty rough out there and when I would find a place to fish I would hit the spot lock and it would work for about 10 seconds and then it would shut itself off. At first I thought it may have been the rough water because ever wave the motor would come out of the water, but if have been on water like that many times and never had the problem. Any ideas?
SkiNoob
Posted 6/5/2018 7:22 AM (#909168 - in reply to #909162)
Subject: RE: Terrova spot lock cutting out?

I had the same problem on Winnebago the other day, except mine would stay on for about 5-10 minutes. Motor is less than a month old.
mtcook16
Posted 6/5/2018 8:27 AM (#909176 - in reply to #909162)
Subject: Re: Terrova spot lock cutting out?

It sounds like the motor may be sliding up and out of the "lock" position while in the rough water. This would be the motor shaft sliding upward through the steering housing. A change in the steering direction during this would cause the Spot Lock to cancel, the same as if you touched the pedal. It may be worth a call to customer service 800-227-6433.
Landry
Posted 6/5/2018 5:00 PM (#909218 - in reply to #909162)

This is a common problem apparently with no fix from them.
You need to make some sort of bungee strap to hold the motor down and stop lift assist from helping motor lift out if lock position. I have rad a lot about this. Having said that I am still planning on buying one this month. It still sounds like a better motor than the xi5
Musky_Mo16
Posted 6/5/2018 7:44 PM (#909231 - in reply to #909162)

Yep I think you guys are right. That might have been it. I'll have to try again on calm water just to make sure.
Musky_Mo16
Posted 6/5/2018 7:47 PM (#909232 - in reply to #909218)

Landry - 6/5/2018 5:00 PM

This is a common problem apparently with no fix from them.
You need to make some sort of bungee strap to hold the motor down and stop lift assist from helping motor lift out if lock position. I have rad a lot about this. Having said that I am still planning on buying one this month. It still sounds like a better motor than the xi5

It is a great motor and other than this I've had no problems and I've had it for over a year now. This was the only time I had this problem and I have fished in rough water before without the issue.
PJV
Posted 6/5/2018 8:38 PM (#909238 - in reply to #909162)

I’ve had a terrova with I-pilot link for several years.

I haven’t experienced the problem you describe. I have, however, had a few occasions where the spot lock starts making adjustments at full speed and wildly over correcting in every direction. So much so that I lose my balance, and have on occasion worried about being thrown from the boat.

I’ve found that unplugging the motor and/or restarting the Ethernet connected depth finder stops the issue.

But...

That raises another question, though. I see in their newer advertisements that they have a gen2 system (post 2017), which purports to have the most accurate spot lock ever, and they attribute that to updated hardware and software. I think when I check the website, the most recent software update for my unit was 2014. And, when I search for whether it’s possible to replace the I-pilot link module without replacing the whole trolling motor, I can’t find anything.

So, sorry if this hi-jacks the post, but does anyone know if older link units are upgradable and/or whether it’s possible to upgrade the I-pilot hardware within the unit without replacing the whole trolling motor, I’d be interested.
25homes
Posted 6/6/2018 1:11 PM (#909297 - in reply to #909238)

PJV - 6/5/2018 8:38 PM

I’ve had a terrova with I-pilot link for several years.

I haven’t experienced the problem you describe. I have, however, had a few occasions where the spot lock starts making adjustments at full speed and wildly over correcting in every direction. So much so that I lose my balance, and have on occasion worried about being thrown from the boat.

I’ve found that unplugging the motor and/or restarting the Ethernet connected depth finder stops the issue.

But...

That raises another question, though. I see in their newer advertisements that they have a gen2 system (post 2017), which purports to have the most accurate spot lock ever, and they attribute that to updated hardware and software. I think when I check the website, the most recent software update for my unit was 2014. And, when I search for whether it’s possible to replace the I-pilot link module without replacing the whole trolling motor, I can’t find anything.

So, sorry if this hi-jacks the post, but does anyone know if older link units are upgradable and/or whether it’s possible to upgrade the I-pilot hardware within the unit without replacing the whole trolling motor, I’d be interested.

Yea you have to watch that spot lock especially fishing heavy current...I river fish primarily and the whole boats gets warning spot lock is going on...yo are correct if you aren't paying attention you could find yourself in the drink pretty easily...
Muddy Adventures
Posted 6/7/2018 9:17 PM (#909417 - in reply to #909238)

To answer the question about switching to the new auto pilot head and placing it on a older motor. I had a 2013 Terrova and wanted to upgrade my i-Pilot with the new technology. Called Minn Kota and they told me you cannot use the new i-pilot head with the older motors. I had to purchase a whole new motor to get the new technology.
mtcook16
Posted 6/8/2018 11:18 AM (#909459 - in reply to #909417)

Muddy Adventures - 6/7/2018 9:17 PM

To answer the question about switching to the new auto pilot head and placing it on a older motor. I had a 2013 Terrova and wanted to upgrade my i-Pilot with the new technology. Called Minn Kota and they told me you cannot use the new i-pilot head with the older motors. I had to purchase a whole new motor to get the new technology.

Correct. There is more to it than just switching out the head and the remote. The whole motor is operating with different parts and "speaks a different language".
T3clay
Posted 6/13/2018 4:32 PM (#909903 - in reply to #909162)

Could also be that your loosing your GPS signal...
RyanJoz
Posted 6/14/2018 12:05 PM (#909959 - in reply to #909903)

mine has cut out a couple times and it has been due to gps signal dropping out. I noticed the graphs losing their gps signal momentarily as well. It did not appear to be a Minn Kota issue in my case. This has happened to me a total of 3 times in 4 years.