Early season night fishing
Muskyhunter10
Posted 6/4/2018 9:48 PM (#909161)
Subject: Early season night fishing

I’ve never night fished but wanted to try it before I head back to school... any tips for early season night fishing in the metro?
MTJ
Posted 6/5/2018 8:19 AM (#909173 - in reply to #909161)
Subject: Re: Early season night fishing

Just do it! Using a red headlamp will help you get used to operating in the dark if you need it, but many metro lakes don't get totally dark and it's much easier to see it there than you think, especially with a little moonlight. Only thing I do different at night is more figure 8s. Have caught many fish on the 3rd 4th or 5th figure 8 that I never knew we're there. You can PM me if you want to talk more.
BNelson
Posted 6/5/2018 8:20 AM (#909174 - in reply to #909161)

sounds simple, but pretend it's not dark. fish the same areas, baits you would during the day. Muskies don't care it's dark out.. maybe slow the baits down a touch but even that isn't necessary. while I've not fished the metro I'm sure there are fish in the weeds/weed edges... try some topwaters and 9s/10s
Reelwise
Posted 6/5/2018 12:17 PM (#909195 - in reply to #909161)

Spinnerbaits and topwater prop baits have been my most consistent, night fishing Muskie lures. Soul Seeker spinnerbaits, built by Bob Gray of Illinois, are an excellent lure. It has two colorado blades that spin great when fishing slow. They are smaller blades than your typical Muskie-size spinnerbait.

I always fish my lures at a slower speed than I do during the day. Just have a lot of confidence fishing this way based on the results. Like Brad said... they don't seem to appear in different, random places at night. The same spots you find fish during the day will typically hold fish at night. Do not be afraid to fish deep, open water when night fishing. I have caught Muskies over 40' of water at night.

Good luck! Would love to hear of your success this season.
tolle141
Posted 6/5/2018 12:39 PM (#909197 - in reply to #909161)

Scout your shallow spots during the day so you can navigate by night. I create tracks for all my inside weedlines/sand flats so I can fish spots efficiently in the dark.

My other tip is to be as organized as possible in the dark. When I fish 3 guys in the boat, there are only three rods and maybe 1 or 2 boxes out between the three of us. We know where everything is so we're not tripping on stuff or stepping on baits.
muskie-don58
Posted 6/5/2018 1:50 PM (#909209 - in reply to #909161)

Bugs, lotsa bugs .
Sidejack
Posted 6/5/2018 10:36 PM (#909254 - in reply to #909161)

Most biting bugs head fer shore a few hours after sunset.
I do like the red headlamp thing.
Got a piece of red tail light film i stick on and it works nice.
cdubs
Posted 6/6/2018 10:05 AM (#909279 - in reply to #909209)

I agree, if you can weather the first hour after dark the bugs aren't too bad. The mayflies crawling up my pant legs get a bit annoying though.
true tiger tamer
Posted 6/7/2018 5:39 PM (#909390 - in reply to #909161)

I catch a lot of muskies wading at night, tailspinner topwaters are my first choice as you can hear the bait, therefore you can work it consistently. I caught a big tiger early this morning, no splash, but didn't hear the bait anymore, then felt heavy weight and set the hook. Ears are as important as or more important than eyes when night fishing.
Crawman
Posted 6/8/2018 5:39 PM (#909496 - in reply to #909390)

After getting used to it night fishing won't be much different then fishing during the day. Like others have mentioned metro stays pretty light even after dark. You can put a glow bead on your line above your leader to see when your bait is getting closely retrieve. It helps protect your first eyelet too. Slow baits down and work more straight retreieves. Like with rubber typically would be a jerk pause. Instead just slow steady retrieves. I like baits that have a larger profile and push more water. Always, always, figure 8 at least once. Sometimes you'll be able to see a fish following after dark, but other times you won't. I've had water right in front of me completely erupt from a fish on my bait scaring the heck out of me when i figured there wasn't one down there cause it was just black. After dark be more willing to move up shallow, especially on very clear lakes. Due to zeebs and super clear water some Twin Cities water I fish I won't bother fishing during the day. The fish just don't seem as willing to eat. And the lakes are too busy for me to want to put up with especially on the weekends. I'm usually launching when everyone else is pulling off. Being out on a lake after dark after everything quiets down is a great place to be...