Question for the resin users
Ridgeback Hollow
Posted 8/15/2015 7:58 PM (#780585)
Subject: Question for the resin users

Just recently started playing around with the stuff and I was wondering if any of you have ratios for the microballons that you would care to share, i.e. float/slow sink(suspend)/1ft sec. sink rate. Thanks in advance!
muskie tamer
Posted 8/15/2015 8:42 PM (#780590 - in reply to #780585)
Subject: Re: Question for the resin users

I just play around til i find what i like, a little trial and error.
rocko
Posted 8/16/2015 9:33 PM (#780711 - in reply to #780585)

So many options available to try. It really depends on your particular lure and what you want it to do. You can layer it by pouring the lower half in resin, and the upper half with micro balloons mixed in for a ballast making the bottom half heavier. Or, just try different recipes and keep track of the ratios and action and find the best for your particular bait design. Sorry for not being specific, but the best answer is simply trial and error.

I used to make my cranks with a slush mold, with a resin shell and lighter foam inside. I now prefer a heavier foam for the whole bait. Both work good, but the foam only option is quicker and easier to mold and I prefer it to the balloons.
Good luck and show us your designs!

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (55KB - 267 downloads)
lehighmuskies
Posted 8/17/2015 11:38 AM (#780786 - in reply to #780585)

How big of a bait? Are you adding lead to it or no? Get a scale in oz an start at .50 oz an go from there I add lead to my baits so it was a lot easier to find what I was looking for
crazywayne
Posted 8/20/2015 8:56 PM (#781352 - in reply to #780585)

Question.. What are you priming your lures with, and how do you do it. Having problems with mine just started to use this stuff. Alumilite White Resin with microbaloons.
Ridgeback Hollow
Posted 8/22/2015 3:52 PM (#781558 - in reply to #781352)

Wayne, I'm not to that point yet so I can only offer what I've read, seems the thing to do is wash the lure with dawn dish soap and then let it dry for a few days before trying to paint it.
lehighmuskies
Posted 8/24/2015 5:38 AM (#781694 - in reply to #780585)

I paint over top no need to primer if your using the white resin
hfbf
Posted 8/25/2015 7:24 AM (#781812 - in reply to #780585)
Subject: RE: Question for the resin users

Here's a chart that compares specific gravity of various woods to various combinations of micro balloons to resin, plus a comparison of some urethane foams. Not included is one called "alumifoam" which is the toughest and most recent addition. By my estimations it's just a little lighter than white cedar.. Hopefully I can figure out how to get the picture to work!
Combinations of these, using a heavier mix in the belly and more buoyant material on top, is often the best answer. In terms of finishing, just a wipe down with alchohol before you paint is all that's needed.
LD

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Density Curve.gif)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Density Curve.gif (72KB - 256 downloads)