Guides Holding Fish and Question for the guides
horsehunter
Posted 7/4/2015 7:50 AM (#774858)
Subject: Guides Holding Fish and Question for the guides

A young friend is guiding at one of the big named lodges in northern Canada.
In looking at his pictures i noticed that he is always holding the monster lake trout and pike with the guest standing beside him. When I told him he should let these anglers hold their own fish he said it was lodge policy that only the guides hold the fish. I would be da*mned if I would pay thousands of dollars to catch a big fish and not be able to hold it. If I was not aware of this policy before I booked ( in which case I wouldn't ) I would be totally pee'd off. I don't usually fish with guides unless fishing with some friends that do limited guiding because I prefer to solve my own puzzles .
Has anyone ever encountered this before?
Most of the muskie guides I know have the client hold their fish.
Your thoughts please

Muskie_Mike II
Posted 7/4/2015 8:09 AM (#774860 - in reply to #774858)
Subject: RE: Guides Holding Fish and Question for the guides

I experienced this in Alaska when fishing for pike. Only single barbless hooks, and no landing nets allowed...the guides hand landed the fish and stood in front of you for the picture. I know how to properly hold a large pike or musky, but a lot of people don't, which can result in injuries to dropped fish, or nasty cuts from their teeth! It's a safety thing, and I support it. They did, however, allow us to hold Sheefish (the tarpon of the North) since they had mouths similar to bass.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(50_Alaska_Pike (Copy).JPG)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMG_0962 (Copy).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 50_Alaska_Pike (Copy).JPG (99KB - 303 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0962 (Copy).JPG (46KB - 306 downloads)
ToothTamer
Posted 7/4/2015 8:12 AM (#774861 - in reply to #774858)
Subject: Re: Guides Holding Fish and Question for the guides

I Agree horse I would never go on a guided trip where the guide holds a fish I caught. It would ruin the picture for me.... no big deal of the guides in the picture but holding the fish I layed into no way.
ToddM
Posted 7/4/2015 8:26 AM (#774863 - in reply to #774858)

Something I hope they are up front with, not something you would think about to consider for a trip. You can however respect the lengths they are going to protect the resource. Would be nice to see that type of stewardship everywhere.

Edited by ToddM 7/4/2015 8:28 AM
TheShow
Posted 7/4/2015 2:17 PM (#774885 - in reply to #774863)

X3 Horse! I never shy away from a healthy tip for a guide who puts me on good fish. But I also don't want him holding my fish for the pic. I completely understand that some people may not know how to hold a large fish correctly and that should be handled on a case by case basis with the client. There's one guide in northern Wi that comes to mind who is regularly holding the clients fish (especially the big ones), and then the client stands behind him. I don't like that at all. Makes for a lousy picture for the client. In addition, to me that comes off as an advertising ploy for the guide instead of being about the the joy/excitement of a client holding their monster.

Good discussion here. I have been wondering the same question. I had no idea that in other areas it's required for the guide to hold the fish. Good to know.
timhutson1
Posted 7/4/2015 4:43 PM (#774893 - in reply to #774858)

It seems to me they could just take the time to show you how to correctly handle a fish. That way everyone wins. Personally, I would not go with a guide that wouldn't let me handle my own fish.
M Winther
Posted 7/5/2015 1:52 PM (#774940 - in reply to #774860)

It's a safety thing, and I support it.

...because leaving the lure in the fish's mouth, one hand on the belly, and one hand on the tail is the "safe" way to hold a large pike to prevent the dropsies?

i get the idea of the guide handling the fish when the client is inexperienced - quicker, better releases. that said, i'd think you could demonstrate competence on some smaller fish to the point that the guide would be confident in your fish handling skills.

dougj
Posted 7/5/2015 8:07 PM (#774976 - in reply to #774858)

I guided for many-many muskies over the years. You'd be surprised how many folks do not feel very comfortable tring to hold a large fish and wanted me to hold the fish for a joint photo. If the client felt comfortable with holding the fish (with instruction) I would let them hold the fish. I suspect that both the inexperienced fishermen and the fish would be better off if someone who has a good deal of experience handling large fish held the fish for photos. A lot depends on the experience and knowledge of the client. This should be talked about before you catch the fish.

Doug Johnson 

IAJustin
Posted 7/5/2015 8:24 PM (#774982 - in reply to #774976)

I prefer the reverse ..I like to hand land and hold the guides fish

Edited by IAJustin 7/5/2015 8:29 PM

Attachments
----------------
Attachments dj2002.jpeg (107KB - 341 downloads)
ManitouDan
Posted 7/5/2015 8:42 PM (#774985 - in reply to #774858)

No way in hades I'd hire a guide that does that .
Flambeauski
Posted 7/6/2015 8:50 AM (#775019 - in reply to #774858)

If April Vokey is guiding me and I catch a fish I want her holding it in the pic.

Seriously though, if people are concerned with safety you don't take a picture at all, or take one of the fish while it's being released. Guide hero shots are stupid.
ToddM
Posted 7/6/2015 10:06 AM (#775028 - in reply to #775019)

Flambeauski - 7/6/2015 8:50 AM

If April Vokey is guiding me and I catch a fish I want her holding it in the pic.

Seriously though, if people are concerned with safety you don't take a picture at all, or take one of the fish while it's being released. Guide hero shots are stupid.

Better yet land April Vokey!
DonPursch
Posted 7/6/2015 10:13 AM (#775030 - in reply to #774976)

Right on DJ that says it all and that is the reason !
Fishysam
Posted 7/6/2015 1:31 PM (#775056 - in reply to #774858)

That practice doesn't bother me. I feel I can keep learning but I feel like I am easier on fish than some friends and if there ok I'd just as well to my best to keep the fish as healthy as possible
fishpoop
Posted 7/6/2015 2:55 PM (#775067 - in reply to #774858)

If I was at any lodge and was informed I couldn't hold my fish for a picture I'd refuse to pay my bill. Period. End of Story.
rodbender
Posted 7/6/2015 3:19 PM (#775071 - in reply to #775067)

Can you imagine.?. Todd finally gets his 50 and he can't even hold it in the picture. No one would believe he caught it...netted maybe but caught? Nah, no way. that about make a Fib go postal.
Mikes Extreme
Posted 7/7/2015 8:55 AM (#775179 - in reply to #775071)

With hundreds of client fish caught and released out of my boat I can see both sides.
If clients don't want to hold the fish but want a picture I control the fish by holding it while the client holds her/his hands under mine as I stand behind them. This way they get the holding look and I can control the fish. Everyone wins with this hold.
I also feel its the guides responsibility to keep the client and fish safe. Teaching the clients proper holding practices is just part of the job. Doing it for them doesn't teach them much.
jonnysled
Posted 7/7/2015 9:20 AM (#775182 - in reply to #775179)

i would imagine the overwhelming majority of people being guided could use a little help, so the argument from the other side although it has merit ... doesn't fit the norm. fun to yell and scream about it though.

question ... who pays the bill if someone gets hurt?
North of 8
Posted 7/7/2015 10:11 AM (#775196 - in reply to #775182)

I would echo Sled's question, who pays the bill if a client is hurt? As a society, we love to sue. Even when we put ourselves in position to get hurt by insisting on handling a fish. Lots of guidelines today are put in place because of fear of law suits.
Some guy, who insists on holding his fish, gets a big hook through his hand, impairing function, you know he will sue the lodge, the guide and anyone who happened to be on the lake that day.
Hagski
Posted 7/7/2015 11:29 AM (#775214 - in reply to #774858)

I would think a simple document made by a resort to be signed by clients who want to hold their own fish would be effective enought and take the liability off of the guide/lodge right?
dfkiii
Posted 7/7/2015 12:14 PM (#775224 - in reply to #775196)

North of 8 - 7/7/2015 10:11 AM

I would echo Sled's question, who pays the bill if a client is hurt? As a society, we love to sue. Even when we put ourselves in position to get hurt by insisting on handling a fish. Lots of guidelines today are put in place because of fear of law suits.
Some guy, who insists on holding his fish, gets a big hook through his hand, impairing function, you know he will sue the lodge, the guide and anyone who happened to be on the lake that day.

Good points. Maybe we should stop selling fishing equipment with dangerous things like hooks to people under the age of 21. When I had a musky thrash and I had a treble embedded in my hand I immediately thought about suing the DNR for stocking aggressive musky in the lake.

All kidding aside, people need to suck it up and take responsibility for their own actions. I'm fully expecting to read about the lawsuit filed by the family of the guy who blew his head off igniting fireworks off the top of his head. I imagine the lawyers are currently trying to figure out if they should sue the liquor store who sold the booze or the fireworks stand who sold the fireworks. Sheesh.....

ToddM
Posted 7/7/2015 12:19 PM (#775225 - in reply to #775224)

It's Obama's fault.
fishhawk50
Posted 7/7/2015 12:23 PM (#775226 - in reply to #774858)

what size and brand cooler do i need.. never mind
anzomcik
Posted 7/7/2015 12:34 PM (#775228 - in reply to #774858)

We are looking at this topic from the eyes of a person who kinda knows what to do with larger fish.

I have a close friend who guides, every year he has a client who is experienced in fishing who wants to hold their musky and jack up their hand from doing rookie mistakes. It ruins their fishing day because now they are bandaged up, I screwed up my hand many years ago with my first musky and i was with a guide. He gave me no real guidence just said put your hand in the gill and lift. I did and the fish went nuts and i gripped down and my thumb got stuck by a big tooth. I bleed for a long time after that.

I went on a elk hunt 6 years ago, the lodge policy was no bullets in the gun until lining up a shot, it took 2 days of hunting for the guide to say you showed me your responsible enough keep your gun loaded ready to shot. Does it take earning trust to be given the opportunity?

If the photo is the most important part of the trip I would think your priorities are a little off, there is so much more to take with you than a photo. Does it really matter, the guide is the person who put you on that fish any way. If thats the deal breaker then go use another guide, why complain will it change the way people do things?
ToddM
Posted 7/7/2015 1:51 PM (#775234 - in reply to #774858)

Those lodges get a lot of corporate trips with plenty of newbs. Most of the people I run into at work fit this category. Does not speak for everyone who goes on these types of trips but I bet it has something to do with the policy.
Flambeauski
Posted 7/7/2015 2:05 PM (#775237 - in reply to #774858)

That's all well and good when they troll, but how can you not trust someone to hold a fish and trust them to fling needle sharp hooks over your head all day?
North of 8
Posted 7/7/2015 2:21 PM (#775240 - in reply to #775214)

A liability release may or may not help. Some attorneys will tell you what a liability waiver does is prove you knew there was a serious risk and an attorney will actually use it against you.

That is the reality folks deal with today. No one wants to take responsibility for their own actions and juries love to stick it to companies or those they see as having deep pockets. I worked in banking for over 30 years, four different banks, and the attorneys for the banks all said the same thing. Settle out of court if you can, juries see banks as having deep pockets and it often takes more in legal fees than it does to settle. Right or wrong doesn't matter.

Edited by North of 8 7/7/2015 2:22 PM
happy hooker
Posted 7/7/2015 4:25 PM (#775260 - in reply to #775240)

Doesn't the nurse let you hold the baby in the delivery room???? Can't hold the fish??
ToddM
Posted 7/7/2015 9:30 PM (#775301 - in reply to #775260)

happy hooker - 7/7/2015 4:25 PM

Doesn't the nurse let you hold the baby in the delivery room???? Can't hold the fish??

Yeah, with a boga grip!
dfkiii
Posted 7/7/2015 10:39 PM (#775313 - in reply to #775260)

happy hooker - 7/7/2015 4:25 PM

That better stop immediately. The wing man who helped you bang the chick has to hold the baby - you clearly are not qualified !
GB Charters
Posted 7/8/2015 9:42 AM (#775370 - in reply to #774858)

If a guide service or lodge doesn't want you to hold your fish it's likely because they're concerned with liability lawsuits from injured customers. I wont let my customers put their hands in the net if the hooks are still in the net or in the fish but once hooks are removed I let all my customers hold their own fish but make sure I tell them and or show them the proper and safe ways first and rarely does anyone get hurt or the fish get dropped. Most guys are there to learn and that includes proper handling and release procedures for both the person and the fishes benefit. I've only ever held a few customers fish because they either didn't feel comfortable holding it or it was just to big for them to handle. I also provide gloves for the gill hand to prevent injuries to the fish and the person.
Jerry Newman
Posted 7/8/2015 10:21 AM (#775381 - in reply to #775370)

GB Charters - 7/8/2015 9:42 AM Most guys are there to learn and that includes proper handling and release procedures for both the person and the fishes benefit.

Excellent point!

Nick59
Posted 7/8/2015 12:26 PM (#775408 - in reply to #775228)

anzomcik - 7/7/2015 12:34 PM

If the photo is the most important part of the trip I would think your priorities are a little off, there is so much more to take with you than a photo. Does it really matter, the guide is the person who put you on that fish any way. If thats the deal breaker then go use another guide, why complain will it change the way people do things?

I think the issue here is not knowing up front about the holding thing.
Memories can fade... a 'picture' never will.

My $.02

horsehunter
Posted 7/8/2015 12:33 PM (#775409 - in reply to #774858)

I caught that fish that other guy is holding
Putts
Posted 7/8/2015 7:19 PM (#775451 - in reply to #774858)

That is really something. I never would of thought that some guides make that rule for everyone, including seasoned anglers. Makes me wonder what other questions I should be asking before I book a trip of a lifetime.
GB Charters
Posted 7/9/2015 7:34 AM (#775511 - in reply to #775451)

Most guides websites and lodges website have lots of pictures in their photo album. Check them out and if you see the guides holding all the muskies and that's not your thing, move on to the next guide or lodge. In my opinion I'd say 99% of the anglers I`ve guided want to hold their own fish, kids and women included, and it definitely makes for a better memory and photo for them.

It doesn't hurt to ask them what the policy is and they may make an exception for you.