planning a summer musky trip from ITALY
@castaway@
Posted 3/14/2015 3:34 PM (#759623)
Subject: planning a summer musky trip from ITALY

Hi guys,I'm Davide.. me and my friends,we are addicted pike fishermen from Italy(my bad we don't have muskies here in Europe).
As i will turn 30 in 2016 yes 30!! i decided it is the right time for MUSKIES!!!we all only live once after all..
So my question is..whats the best musky water in the world to you? where would you go for a once in a lifetime trip? Obviously i will have tons and tons of questions for you,but lets first decide where to go..
I'm sure there's no better place to ask for good advices its up to you folks!!!

Thank you very much

Davide
muskyrat
Posted 3/14/2015 4:18 PM (#759631 - in reply to #759623)
Subject: Re: planning a summer musky trip from ITALY

Lake Saint Clair. If you come all that way you want to catch fish.
IAJustin
Posted 3/14/2015 4:37 PM (#759632 - in reply to #759631)

If I were you I'd contact Marc Thorpe or Mike Lazarus and book a week ...they fish the best big fish waters in the world.

Edited by IAJustin 3/14/2015 4:37 PM
@castaway@
Posted 3/14/2015 5:25 PM (#759637 - in reply to #759623)

I already did some researches and watched a lot of videos on youtube..Saint Clair looks like its full of muskies,iwill keep it in mind..
I also looked for the St Lawrence/Ottawa river area..Marc Thorpe has got some monsters on video and has got a website too,while Mike Lazarus..well,he simply does not..from what i read he is kind of a mythological figure!!
Great advices guys..thanks
P.S. what about lake of the woods?
muskyhunter47
Posted 3/14/2015 5:58 PM (#759642 - in reply to #759637)

Lake St . Clair no doubt there's plenty of muskies there but no scenery. if it was me I would be looking to Canada Lake of the Woods would be a better choice. There are other lakes in Canada to fish muskies that are good as well. I have to ask why musky I love musky fishing but I would like to fish tarpon or white sturgeon but If I was to spend that kind of money I would want to fish for Blue Marlin.
DonPursch
Posted 3/14/2015 6:11 PM (#759643 - in reply to #759623)
Subject: RE: planning a summer musky trip from ITALY

Welcome
Only a suggestion Thanks for looking and the best of luck
@castaway@
Posted 3/14/2015 6:29 PM (#759647 - in reply to #759642)

Why musky?Well,thats cause of my Esox addiction...we spend our life here fishing for big pikes,always looking for the big one..I think muskies are just a step further,more aggressive(really hard to catch a pike on the figure 8)I would also love to experience topwater fishing which is something unrealistic on the lakes i fish..I also love the scenery of some of this places we're talking about ..
Talking about the blue marlin i will wait when im 50,looking like and drinking like Hemingway
muskyhunter47
Posted 3/14/2015 6:43 PM (#759650 - in reply to #759647)

Moosehorn lodge would be worthwhile looking at.
muskycop
Posted 3/14/2015 8:18 PM (#759667 - in reply to #759623)

Eagle Lake would be my first recommendation followed by Lake of the Woods. You can catch a bunch on St. Claire but I would not want Detroit as my backdrop if I traveled all the way from Italy. You say summer so I would plan it for a good moon phase in the end of July or August. I think it would be hard to beat Andy Myers Lodge if your looking for a fully guided week with a chance at a true tanker on Eagle Lake. Bradley and Marty are both excellent guides that consistently put big fish in the boat.
FlyPiker
Posted 3/14/2015 8:39 PM (#759675 - in reply to #759623)

My recommendation would be Lake of the Woods for the following reasons

1) scenery/location
2) probability of landing a fish is relatively high
3) have a chance at a big fish
4) water temps during your travels should be under 80 no matter what. (Some of you don't care about this... I do)

Another potential bonus is that you can also fish for smallmouth bass and lake trout. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe you have those in Italy? Wherever you go make sure to post some pics when all is said and done. Throw in some pics of those crazy fat pike you have over there too.

Good luck!
Bondy
Posted 3/14/2015 9:29 PM (#759684 - in reply to #759623)

Hey we have a nice view here. We even have a bunch of waterfalls....they are coming out of the steel plant but they are still waterfalls!
@castaway@
Posted 3/15/2015 2:58 AM (#759698 - in reply to #759650)

muskyhunter47 - 3/15/2015 12:43 AM

Moosehorn lodge would be worthwhile looking at.

Can you send me a link please? thanks
@castaway@
Posted 3/15/2015 3:01 AM (#759699 - in reply to #759667)

muskycop - 3/15/2015 2:18 AM

Eagle Lake would be my first recommendation followed by Lake of the Woods. You can catch a bunch on St. Claire but I would not want Detroit as my backdrop if I traveled all the way from Italy. You say summer so I would plan it for a good moon phase in the end of July or August. I think it would be hard to beat Andy Myers Lodge if your looking for a fully guided week with a chance at a true tanker on Eagle Lake. Bradley and Marty are both excellent guides that consistently put big fish in the boat.

thanks muskycop..what they offer there is incredible!!Idid not find anything like that yet..appreciate it
@castaway@
Posted 3/15/2015 3:13 AM (#759700 - in reply to #759675)

FlyPiker - 3/15/2015 2:39 AM

My recommendation would be Lake of the Woods for the following reasons

1) scenery/location
2) probability of landing a fish is relatively high
3) have a chance at a big fish
4) water temps during your travels should be under 80 no matter what. (Some of you don't care about this... I do)

Another potential bonus is that you can also fish for smallmouth bass and lake trout. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe you have those in Italy? Wherever you go make sure to post some pics when all is said and done. Throw in some pics of those crazy fat pike you have over there too.

Good luck!

Where would you suggest to go on the woods? And no..we dont have smallmouth and lake trouts are sooo difficult to catch its almost unworthy! Its a whole different story here One good thing we have its pike..they grow really big but they are also low in number..theres much better fishing outside of Italy here in Europe.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(122web2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 122web2.jpg (64KB - 155 downloads)
@castaway@
Posted 3/15/2015 3:20 AM (#759701 - in reply to #759623)

It takes a whole season to catch something like that and u have to photshop it to post it over the internet..theres still a lot of people with the CKF mentality instead of CPR..Catch it Kill it Freeze it..sooo sad!!
woodieb8
Posted 3/15/2015 6:24 AM (#759705 - in reply to #759623)

st clair. stay in Windsor Ontario Canada. enjoy little Italy on erie street.. your dollars worth more in Canada also. very little crime here also.
muskyhunter47
Posted 3/15/2015 6:40 AM (#759706 - in reply to #759705)

That is one big pike love to see those here.
Moosehorn lodge www.canadafish.com
You could also look at there face book page lots of pictures there

Edited by muskyhunter47 3/15/2015 6:43 AM
Cody
Posted 3/15/2015 7:36 AM (#759712 - in reply to #759623)

Castaway, lots of great choices mentioned, wherever you go enjoy your stay, catch some big fish and post us the pics and updates of your holiday.
muskyrat
Posted 3/15/2015 7:44 AM (#759714 - in reply to #759623)

Yea Thorpe and Laz are great guides a bit nutty but great guides. Not a lot of nice scenery in the Montreal area but great fishing casting or trolling. Plenty of big fish too. Those guys will put you on fish for sure. Lake Chatauqua in N.Y. is a nice trip for muskies to. The problem with the remote trips with scenery is the fishing is no where near what it is on LSC or the Montreal area. The fish don`t care about scenery.
JakeStCroixSkis
Posted 3/15/2015 8:36 AM (#759721 - in reply to #759623)

I would be thinking either LOTW or Eagle. I would also consider Jason Hamernick or Jerry Sondag in MN. Check their websites out.the st lawrence or ottawa river may be pretty boring for you. I recommend going somewhere with good scenery, somewhere you can cast some topwaters, somewhere that had that good musky atmosphere, good tradition. I would be looking into MN or Ontario.
happy hooker
Posted 3/15/2015 8:57 AM (#759724 - in reply to #759714)

Lake of the woods or eagle "with a guide"

He will get a total musky experience there scenery.variety,be able to fish rocks or weeds not have to troll all the time like some eastern waters. He needs to be able to.fish topwater and have the thrill of a blowup or a wave of pushing water from a follow. Stay at a musky camp where he can mingle and talk to the other musky people there places like
Sandys Blackhawk lodge on LOTW or Andy Myers on Eagle,,musky camps with musky guides.
Actually I would say if possible combine that with first spending a few days in the Eagle River area of Wisconsin or Hayward where musky fishing is a tradition lots of small lakes to get you started a chance to.go to a Musky sport tackle shop like Rollie and Helen's and see all the cool stuff. Tons of guides in those areas too that will give you the chance for action before heading for the challenge and adventure of Canada.
esoxriebe
Posted 3/15/2015 10:18 AM (#759737 - in reply to #759623)

If coming all the way from Italy and this is the trip of your lifetime definitely lake of the woods or eagle. If price is not a concern the most comfortable accommodations would be Wiley Point Lodge. Totem resorts is definitely the High End outfit but they have great boats and guides that come with the package. There are a lot of other great lodges on lake of the woods but if I could not bring my own boat Wiley Point would be my first choice because they have very comfortable camp boats. http://totemlodge.totemresorts.com/ordereze/Files/TOTEM_1-9-15.pdf
Ronix
Posted 3/15/2015 10:59 AM (#759743 - in reply to #759623)

I haven't been able to take a Canadian trip yet but I think Rowan Lake would have to be it...fly in muskie fishing! Nielsensflyinlodge.com.
muskyroller
Posted 3/15/2015 12:16 PM (#759751 - in reply to #759623)

Fly in to Minneapolis, I'll take you out on the st. Croix river for a day...free. Then hire a guide for Mille Lacs or Vermilion or Miltona or...anywhere in central/north central MN. The next day go to lake of the woods for a week or eagle or Lac Seul (east end). Really though, can't go wrong in canada!
@castaway@
Posted 3/15/2015 1:09 PM (#759755 - in reply to #759751)

Youre all doing a great job guys..i have enough material to work on for a month keep in mind i will have to translate EVERY SINGLE WORD. i think i should get payed for all the work i will put in this trip :).
@castaway@
Posted 3/15/2015 1:14 PM (#759756 - in reply to #759751)

muskyroller - 3/15/2015 6:16 PM

Fly in to Minneapolis, I'll take you out on the st. Croix river for a day...free.

That would be so nice!!!if i fly over there be sure i will write you
YOU ALL GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!
muskyhunter47
Posted 3/15/2015 1:20 PM (#759757 - in reply to #759756)

You will get paid by putting a big musky in the net
@castaway@
Posted 3/15/2015 1:37 PM (#759759 - in reply to #759757)

muskyhunter47 - 3/15/2015 7:20 PM

You will get paid by putting a big musky in the net

I fear the consequences that it could have on my mind seriously!!
Ranger
Posted 3/15/2015 3:09 PM (#759766 - in reply to #759623)

Hello Castaway,

Nice to meet you! MuskyRoller's kind offer and advice above is excellent. His suggestion includes experiencing a variety of muskie fishing settings and meeting some of our best fishermen. You should expect a lot of help since you are sincere, there are some great friends on this site.

Ranger
WiscoMusky
Posted 3/15/2015 11:22 PM (#759857 - in reply to #759623)

St. Clair if you are looking for just big fish.... If you want scenery and big fish, Century Lodge on eagle lake ontario
Trollindad
Posted 3/16/2015 8:23 AM (#759880 - in reply to #759623)

lets lip this around I am going to be in Rome in November...... how close are big pike?
Thanks!
@castaway@
Posted 3/16/2015 9:52 AM (#759901 - in reply to #759880)

I live in Milan, 6 hours by car.. There are a few big pikes lakes around Rome, with very good fishing there, but i obviously dont fish them!!
If you want to come and visit me thats primetime for big pikes.. I have got the best italian lakes for big fish an hour or two away from home;-)

MuskyMo
Posted 3/16/2015 10:24 AM (#759903 - in reply to #759901)

Coming that far, you have to do CANADA, period. Lake of the woods, eagle, or the french river would be my recommendation. Get a guide and you will have a ball in anyone of these 3 places.
sjb42
Posted 3/16/2015 11:34 AM (#759910 - in reply to #759623)

Congrats on planning a trip to North America for some muskie fishing,if I had to pick one area I would go to LOTW,the scenery is great and fishing is too! Be sure to hire a good guide,LOTW is huge and can be overwhelming to newcomer. There are a lot big fish and numbers there too, muskie and pike. Wiley Point lodge is where id stay,you can fish and they can serve the meals.Where ever you go, good luck and practice catch and release. Take some photos of your catch so you can get a replica made,again good luck with your trip.
spoonpluggergino
Posted 3/23/2015 2:42 PM (#761108 - in reply to #759623)

Buon giorno Davide
If you are going to come all the way from Italia your best bet will be Lake of the Woods, do not forget it's one million acres, you definitely will need a guide. The lake has lots of muskies and plenty of 50 plus inches. Other lakes like St. Lawrence and Ottawa river they do have huge muskies, but due to very clear water because of zebra mussels they are very deep and hard to catch by just casting, most of these muskies are caught trolling by big boats. One of other places I recommend would be Georgian bay very big and definitely you need a guide. I have many friends that fish many muskie lakes I will try to find more information. I fish Lake of the woods in the summer month's July, fish rock bars and weed beds especially the one's located in little shore bays and shore cuts with small boulders and chunk rocks

Numero uno e Lake Of The Woods
Numero due e Georgian Bay
Buona fortuna

Gino Testone
WiscoMusky
Posted 3/23/2015 3:56 PM (#761125 - in reply to #759623)

I would recommend these two lodges:

http://www.centurylodge.com/ on eagle lake or
http://www.tamarackislandwildernesslodge.com/ on lake of the woods
spoonpluggergino
Posted 3/23/2015 4:55 PM (#761136 - in reply to #759623)

LOTW these lodges I stayed and they offer the American Plan and this area is really easy to fish with lots of big fish
Tamarack mentioned above is one of them the other is grassynarrowslodge.com and newmoonlodge.ca/, they are located in the Sabaskong Bay area and Miles Bay area, these are very affordable and in a very good location, lots of big Northern Pike too. Also even if tyou get a guide I would purchase a map of this area you can get LOTW map # 6216 at thornebros.com
Gino
muskyrat
Posted 3/23/2015 5:15 PM (#761139 - in reply to #759623)

Or you could go to NYC have a good time and fish Greenwood lake. Gave up two 40lb plus fish last year. I`ll take you out for a jar of Mamas sauce.
timhutson1
Posted 3/24/2015 7:13 AM (#761207 - in reply to #759623)

Seriously, Don't go to St. Clair. You will be missing out on what the real musky experience is. For that I would go for LOTW first then Eagle or Rowen would be my next choices. I have been to both and there is no doubt that LOTW is a much better experience. Lots of fish and still great shot at a trophy. I would not be planning a trip for my friends to the Detroit/Windsor area if this is going to be your only trip to musky fish. The fishing is very much different then the typical musky lake and the city is something I don't look forward to traveling to. I only go there because I have that lives near. That would be my advice.
achotrod
Posted 3/26/2015 10:48 AM (#761485 - in reply to #759623)

My first thought was you have the best chance on LSC but it really doesnt capture the true muskie experience. Like mentioned LOTW or Eagle would be my first choices but I also love fishing northern Wisconsin.
dtaijo174
Posted 3/26/2015 1:03 PM (#761535 - in reply to #759623)

Once in a lifetime... Rowan.
LOTW = scenery, action and chance at a 50". can't go wrong here.
LSC = Great fishing. Giants and action. nothing to look at... So superb fishing, but I think you miss out on something.
Rowan = Epic trip. complete isolation from other anglers, amazing scenery, giant fish, decent action... Fly-in only so it can get expensive. Book a guided trip with Don @ Nielsen's lodge.

I have not fished the St. Lawrence or Ottawa River so I cannot provide an opinion.
muskyrat
Posted 3/28/2015 8:12 AM (#761879 - in reply to #759623)

Is he sight seeing or trying to complete a dream? Don`t let someone from the USA or Canada tell you what Muskie fishing should be all about because they don`t know. We live stress full lives and relish trips away to the remote north to get away from everyday life. The fishing is not better in those areas. Just a better experience for us. You however live in beautiful and relaxed Italy. If I was you I would want to make sure I caught a Muskie first. You can easily go to Eagle lake and get zero fish! In fact that's a probability. LSC is not beautiful but it`s not bad. It`s a big open lake with nice color water. You don`t have to stay in downtown Detroit. Seflridge is fine. Belle river is fine. It`s not like people have not skunked on LOTW either. One cold front and it`s over. Your once in a lifetime shot at a Muskie ruined. That can happen on LSC but you will still get at least one Muskie for sure.
lennyg3
Posted 3/31/2015 11:58 PM (#762766 - in reply to #759623)

Take 2 weeks. Start your trip by going to LSC for 5 days and get the monkey off your back, then finish the remainder of the trip at LOTW... Solves it all imo. If it's your one chance to come here catch numbers of fish, have a real shot at a monster, then experience the beauty of a shield lake with fantastic fishing as well..

Edited by lennyg3 4/1/2015 12:01 AM