How tough is MN Now?
curleytail
Posted 2/16/2015 11:55 AM (#754034)
Subject: How tough is MN Now?

I'm starting this post for discussion, and possible fishing advice.

Have always thought about fishing some of the MN waters. Years ago I was drooling over the reports of multiple giants coming from Mill Lacs. Then it was Vermilion. Seemed many smaller lakes were kicking out numbers of big fish too, and anybody that took a trip to MN caught numbers of 45-50+ inch fish. I was in high school and college through most of the boom, and could never afford the money or time to make a trip happen.

I now live in Hayward, WI, and a trip to some of the lakes in Northern/Eastern part of Minnesota are only a few hour drive away. Could make a long weekend out of it a time or two a year, in addition to the week long trip to LOTW I took last year and am fortunate enough to do again this year.

Vermilion still interests me, but I rarely hear any glowing reports about it anymore. No doubt there are giants, but it seems like a struggle to boat much of anything.

Mille Lacs is almost out of the question I think. Not really hoping to take a trip for "the one" to bite, although catching "the one" would be something else.

Leech? Heard some about it. Get the feeling it doesn't get quite the pressure of Vermilion. Sounds like the fishing can still be very tough though, and the water is huge (BIG waves, long runs). Size of water wouldn't make me rule it out though.

What about some of the smaller lakes in the ~1,000-15,000 acre size? Some of them must have continued stocking, big fish, and a little less pressure?

For those that travel to MN, or live there and fish it, how is the fishing today, really? Are there some locations in northern MN where you don't have to play bumper boats to fish, where there is a fair chance at catching a 50, and still have a good chance at putting a few fish in the boat over a long weekend?

If anybody has any advice, information, stories, or thoughts, it would be interesting to hear. Feel free to brag, post pictures of how good it is and how big the fish are, or complain (while remaining civil, please!) about how the fishery just isn't that outstanding anymore.

Tucker

Edited by curleytail 2/16/2015 11:56 AM
cave run legend
Posted 2/16/2015 12:04 PM (#754036 - in reply to #754034)
Subject: Re: How tough is MN Now?

even though your a good fisherman, I would think about hiring a guide that specializes in big fish that fish it everyday the first day and use those spots the rest of the long weekend.
Travis A.
Posted 2/16/2015 12:55 PM (#754045 - in reply to #754034)

I won't pretend I know which lakes are still good, I'll leave that to the locals. I can offer my experience as an out of stater making an annual trip there though. 2013 was our first serious year of musky fishing. We decided to go to Mille Lacs in November to chase those fish of a lifetime muskies. We didn't get a guide and wanted to do it on our own. It took a lot of time driving to different boat ramps playing the wind, and safely navigating out to the spots. We fished 4 days and on the last day I caught one that was not too much under 40lbs. It wasn't a true giant on that lake but was our biggest musky ever so we were thrilled. We came back this year and added my sister into the mix. We figured, now we know the spots, we have one more angler throwing a bait upping our odds, we narrowed down our lure and color selection, wouldn't waste as much time navigating, etc. The water temp was spot on, we had the full moon on our side this time. We thought we had much better odds. Then the wind changed and came out of the north for a few days. We have a Lund 1900 Pro V but also have a huge motor, big kicker motor and 300 pounder that has to fish out of the back of the boat. We can handle a lot of waves but we know when to not be stupid. We can't handle what the guys in the Rangers can go into. We got out onto really good structure. Even some of the stuff we couldn't get to last year. Problem was, even though the water temperature was spot on, I think earlier in October it was warmer than usual and then it got too cold too fast so the ciscos weren't moved in as far as they were last year. Most of the boats were way further out than last year. Just goes to show you that even when you think you have better chances, one small thing can change everything. Getting a 60k Ranger is out of the question at this point so changing lakes is probably going to be the answer. We're thinking Vermillion this year. Should be more fishable structure and be able to get out of the wind more. We totally understand that you don't get a monster every time. And if it happens it will most likely be 1 person in the boat that gets one like it was the year before. Fine with that too. Giving it your all and getting beat is part of the game. But when you travel that far and spend a lot of money on gas, food, lodging, souvenirs, a stop at Thorne Brothers on the way, you don't want to not catch anything because of something that is out of your control and you're only able to fish 50-60% of the time. Someday we'll probably try that lake again in November, but the next time I'm back will probably be for a summer musky trip or smallmouth. And here's another reason. The first time you go anywhere is always the best. You don't know what to expect and you're constantly getting your mind blown. The next time has to live up to the memories and expectations that have been building up in your head over the past year. Now we are thinking hit a different lake each year or maybe every 2 years. Probably do Vermillion this year. The big ones are in there too and the chance of catching multiple fish has to be better. Maybe Leech next year or in the summer. There are obviously a lot of great lakes in MN, I think the key is to weigh all your options and really decide what will make a great TRIP/VACATION/MEMORY, not just base it all on that one fish. Are you hellbent on a 50 pound 55"+ or would you be happy with a 35lb 48'er and great scenery? Is it you and one other hardcore buddy or is it a couple guys and their dads that want action over trophies? Really take the whole thing into the decision and not just get fixated on chasing that monster. You'll have a much better overall trip and could still catch a big one. But for sure still make a trip somewhere, it gives you something to look forward to all year and plan with your buddies and discuss tactics, that's half the fun.
Flambeauski
Posted 2/16/2015 12:56 PM (#754047 - in reply to #754034)

I fished Vermilion last fall for a week and here are some of my observations:
We fished from the dam to the east end and saw a total of 4 other boats muskie fishing. All week.
We had a chance at some nice fish. Saw 3 or 4 that were bigger than the biggest I saw in WI that season.
When the weather was off (bright, warm, calm) we didn't see a fish. Nada.
IAJustin
Posted 2/16/2015 1:03 PM (#754051 - in reply to #754034)

your chance at a 50 is very good on most MN lakes that get stocked by the state. if you know the lake...at least as good and IMO..better than LOTW, I just like LOTW for size, diversity and scenery a whole lot better..and you get a ton of 42-48" fish on the woods with still a legit shot at a 50" . BUT.. Spend a week on one of the many "stocked lakes" in MN and you have a VERY high chance at a 50" if you know your shtuff.. Is there a fair amount of pressure on them? yes. Is it as good as it was 5-8 years ago, no. But I tell ya what- its still dam good!!!

Edited by IAJustin 2/16/2015 1:05 PM
Cfollow
Posted 2/16/2015 1:16 PM (#754057 - in reply to #754051)

Take a good hard look at all of the guides that used to fish full time all summer long in MN and ask yourself were they have gone and why? That should give you a small clue as to how tough MN is now compared to then. There also used to be some of the TV pros filming in MN on a regular basis. I haven't seen a summer casting show filmed and aired in MN in quite awhile.

Edited by Cfollow 2/16/2015 1:20 PM
Jeremy
Posted 2/16/2015 2:45 PM (#754074 - in reply to #754034)

There's really no muskies left in Mn.!

Honest. No...really.

Honest.
BNelson
Posted 2/16/2015 2:50 PM (#754075 - in reply to #754034)

I started fishing regularly in MN in 2006.. it has changed that is for sure... I have gone over there on avg 2-3 x per year.. In all but one trip did we not put at least 1, 50" in the boat and that was a shortened trip do to high water temps and crappy fishing...hours to hours from WI to MN there is still no comparison, I track hours and on avg we still are putting a 50"+ in the boat on avg every 35 hours in MN... I have hundreds and hundreds of hours in WI and oh yah, zero 50s... last year I only made it over for a long 4 day weekend and we still got a 50+ and one close... but the # of bites per day on avg has been going down...and I honestly think that is from the sheer # of times they are getting caught...guides over there pounding day in and day out only compounds that... glad to see some have left for "greener pastures" .. Like Justin said, pick any of the lakes that are stocked and you are going to find a good population of muskies and lots of big ones... what I have noticed is you just can't go out and expect "dumb" fish like you could 5-8 yrs ago...sure when the window opens they chow bucktails but getting more quality bites isn't just going out and slinging double 10s around... plenty of lakes like LSC will give up easier 50s but I still enjoy fishing the MN waters...

Edited by BNelson 2/16/2015 2:54 PM
jlong
Posted 2/16/2015 3:04 PM (#754077 - in reply to #754034)

When choosing a destination you really need to consider your goal. I agree that MN is not what it once was in regard to the "new reservoir syndrome" and the perception of "easy" fish. But, there are still plenty of BIG muskies in MN.

If your goal is to simply catch a 50 incher, then MN should be on your radar screen. If you are looking for less pressured water or a more remote setting, than you may want to look elsewhere.

I still make a few trips to MN every season and enjoy every minute I'm there.
ToddM
Posted 2/16/2015 3:14 PM (#754080 - in reply to #754034)

Brad if by greener you mean turquoise you would be correct:-)

Edited by ToddM 2/16/2015 3:15 PM
dami0101
Posted 2/16/2015 3:20 PM (#754082 - in reply to #754057)

Cfollow - 2/16/2015 1:16 PM

Take a good hard look at all of the guides that used to fish full time all summer long in MN and ask yourself were they have gone and why? That should give you a small clue as to how tough MN is now compared to then. There also used to be some of the TV pros filming in MN on a regular basis. I haven't seen a summer casting show filmed and aired in MN in quite awhile.

Does Keyes count as a summer casting show? I'm just wondering because they do at least one episode in MN a year.
Musky Brian
Posted 2/16/2015 5:45 PM (#754119 - in reply to #754082)

pretty much echoing what others have said....there's a reason some of the traveling guides are bailing. And it certainly isn't because they are slamming big fish right and left like they used to. Still plenty of opportunities for quality fish on enough lakes, but I think most would probably agree if you just started fishing up there now you are a bit late to the party as many lakes are not as good as they once were in recent years

Edited by Musky Brian 2/16/2015 5:47 PM
Cfollow
Posted 2/16/2015 7:39 PM (#754180 - in reply to #754082)

dami0101 - 2/16/2015 3:20 PM

Cfollow - 2/16/2015 1:16 PM

Does Keyes count as a summer casting show? I'm just wondering because they do at least one episode in MN a year.

Sure, it does but I doubt the original poster wants to head down to Fox lake in southern MN and fish a pea green soup. The show he had this year was also put together from two separate trips down there. Mike also isn't afraid to put two fish in the bag and call it a show, just saying.

Edited by Cfollow 2/16/2015 7:48 PM
FlyPiker
Posted 2/16/2015 9:26 PM (#754208 - in reply to #754034)
Subject: RE: How tough is MN Now?

As a MN angler, I would say yeah, much tougher. Still a good shot at those big girls though. If you are going for those 2006ish results you'd do much better hitting up some of those Great Lakes systems that are blowing up right now. My personal "#*^@ I want to go there" trip is Melton Hill, TN. Big fish and an escape from this long winter, what organs can I sell to get the $? As far as MN goes you'll have to be willing to put in the time, going out at night can help *hint hint, wink wink

Best of luck in 2015 wherever you choose to wet your line.
MuskieFever
Posted 2/16/2015 10:09 PM (#754221 - in reply to #754034)

Educated fish, the musky boom, a few boiling hot summers, and preexisting populations to name a few. MN still offers many of fantastic opportunities, we as anglers just have to fish smarter. Numbers and giants across the board are down from the early 2000's but that shouldn't be a surprise, a fishery can't sustain a peak forever. However, there are still more than a handful of lakes that offer very good fishing that haven't been completely exposed. I personally think I need to spend more hours at night, especially during mid summer.
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 2/16/2015 10:29 PM (#754224 - in reply to #754034)

Call me naive, but I'd assume if the guides were staying booked on their home waters they would go ahead and stay there. Maybe the guides lake hopping are going after the clients chasing the hot bite???
MuskieFever
Posted 2/16/2015 11:37 PM (#754233 - in reply to #754034)

^I'd agree. We have many lakes here that get 'hot' but simply not LSC hot. If you were a guide, wouldn't you go there too?
WiscoMusky
Posted 2/17/2015 12:06 AM (#754235 - in reply to #754233)

Of course, you are right MuskieFever... Thats exactly why many guides have left. Musky fishing pressure is getting worse all across North America, it is inevitable because there is more and more serious musky fisherman coming about every year. It isnt just a Minnesota thing. I have lakes that I have fished for years with very little pressure, from remote Wisconsin, Minnesota and the UP, and now it isnt uncommon to have multiple guys on each lake, every time I go
Reef Hawg
Posted 2/17/2015 12:44 AM (#754237 - in reply to #754034)

Having been fishing Muskies in MN since 2003, I've seen the changes others have mentioned. With that said my family/friends and I feel fortunate to have experienced what was, aside from Green Bay, the biggest trophy Musky explosion of all time, based on the program put in place by Mr. Strand and the boys. Having a couple large lakes in the northern reaches of the state nearly to myself and my family for a couple of years worth of trips and vacations, was just icing on the cake. While I knew that a 50 on about every other trip, fish blasting topwater, eating out away from the boat, having spots to ourselves for days/seasons, was definitely going to come to an end, we still make the worthwhile trek over to MN.

Fishing strategies have changed, and with family/kids, trips are down to one 3-5 day spans per year vs 3 days every 3 weeks. With that in mind the major exploration days are behind me over there, and I'm relegated to going to the places I've learned during those exploring years. We tend to avoid the seasonal peaks and some of the places I fell in love with a decade ago, because of the pressure. But while we've come to expect less from our MN experience now, one of us is typically rewarded with our longest fish of the year from U.S. waters at some point during the trip. Knowing there are a few knee shakers swimming in the waters I'm fishing is one thing. Knowing I'll likely get a shot at a really good one during our stay, is largely why I take Musky trips away from home. MN still affords that in the numerous areas we fish.

Grab a good partner and head over for a weekend or a long day. Exploring is a large portion of the reward. And no matter what happens, no fishing trip is ever wasted time.

Edited by Reef Hawg 2/17/2015 12:46 AM
happy hooker
Posted 2/17/2015 8:04 AM (#754275 - in reply to #754237)

Born and raised in MInn my whole life definitely tougher but you also need to research more too,,,a lot has to do with who the fisheries manager is for a givin area and how fond he is of muskies, there's one part of the state that's getting well taken care of. ALso some of these lakes It looks like the dnr is gonna see if natural repo has taken root that's good news-bad news natural repo but less fish per acre. I pitty the poor Roosevelt,Saulk River,pokegama recently stocked lakes because when the word gets out on those first generation fish being "ready come and get it" those just three new hopes will.get the crap beat out of them. Good news is muskies are finding their way into things,the lake we saw the most fish on last year isn't even a designated muskie lake or ever stocked
it would be NICE if the dnr would let the muskies Inc chapters do more private stocking especially in the metro with converting the abandoned tiger lakes to purestrains "too shallow dark and small my #as that perfectly describes your number one brood stock lake Rebecca and the fish do well there..They Say never throw anything away it always comes back in style,looks like that's the case with leech forgotten during the peak but looks good now.b

Edited by happy hooker 2/17/2015 8:06 AM
Propster
Posted 2/17/2015 8:14 AM (#754280 - in reply to #754034)

Take a deep breath, throw in a comma or period now and then. You'll be fine.
happy hooker
Posted 2/17/2015 8:56 AM (#754303 - in reply to #754280)

There,their,they're ,,punkyewation and grammer is old skool

Edited by happy hooker 2/17/2015 8:57 AM
jonnysled
Posted 2/17/2015 8:59 AM (#754304 - in reply to #754303)

i got dizzy trying to read it ...
Kirby Budrow
Posted 2/17/2015 4:05 PM (#754399 - in reply to #754034)

I go more than 35 hours without 50 inchers and I live here! I only had one 50 in the boat in 2013, but I had 4 in the boat in 2014

BNelson obviously knows the lakes he is fishing very well and has good information about them before hand. That, combined with his abilities, allow him to get a 50 every 35 hours. I suspect that very few people have that kind of success...unless you're a guide or have nothing to do but fish every day. Though I don't keep records of time fished...so I can't say how many hours it takes me. Maybe it's 35 hours, maybe 60, I don't know.

I was a little young to have been in on the mid 2000's bonanza as well, though I've been muskie fishing here for over 16 years. It wasn't until 2009 that the first 50 incher entered my boat. Since then, I've learned how to target big fish consistently, but 50's are not easy to catch. I don't care who you are! The fact was that the lakes I fished back then, did not have a lot of 50's. I didn't have the confidence or money to go to vermilion, or Mille Lacs, or the other lakes that were putting out monsters. I stuck to my home waters in Itasca County, where it's very difficult to get a 50 inch fish. Even on those lakes, the decline in big fish and numbers is very apparent. Two factors, in my opinion contribute to it. The first is outrageous fishing pressure, and the second is a lack of stocking. I'm at the point now where I want to move to Canada! I still love fishing these lakes, but the amount of rude behavior and lack of fishing ethics among fisherman take some of the fun out of it. Even Night fishing is getting to be crowded. Who's fault is it? All of ours! I know I've influenced a lot of people to take up muskie fishing. The growth in the sport is good, but maybe we've exceeded our carrying capacity?
FAT-SKI
Posted 2/17/2015 4:17 PM (#754402 - in reply to #754399)

KIRBY SAID " I still love fishing these lakes, but the amount of rude behavior and lack of fishing ethics among fisherman take some of the fun out of it. Even Night fishing is getting to be crowded. Who's fault is it? All of ours! I know I've influenced a lot of people to take up muskie fishing. The growth in the sport is good, but maybe we've exceeded our carrying capacity?

IMHO this is one of the better quotes I have read on not just this thread but many threads. This could not be more true.

Well said Kirby and I totally agree
timhutson1
Posted 2/17/2015 5:03 PM (#754418 - in reply to #754034)

Do you guys think all of this (fishing being tougher) goes for LOTW also? I went for the first time last year and it was very tough but I would be interested to hear what the regulars think.
BenR
Posted 2/17/2015 5:21 PM (#754420 - in reply to #754034)

I enjoy MN, spent a day with Kevin Cochran last year and was well worth it, great guide to spend the day with. The best part of low density big fish water is that any cast could be the one. The anticipation is almost better than the catching.
happy hooker
Posted 2/17/2015 5:31 PM (#754422 - in reply to #754402)

I think a few of you are aware of the long time Minn guide who's doing the research project right now. Scary where the fisherie may be going but gives alot of evidence on how to fix it. Stocking is way down but the Minn dnr has always said they manage it has a trophy fisheries not a numbers one. Mile lacs is still kicking out mid 50 fish and that's what they wanted not hundreds of fish sitting on the north end sand. Right now it looks like the future is a home run derby big fish or strike out.
DonPursch
Posted 2/17/2015 5:55 PM (#754433 - in reply to #754034)

I'm just not blowing my horn here really I'm not
Please don't get me wrong,I love my ranger also.I read all of this and I wish I could just
Tell every one at my cost,to come and just expieriance Rowan lake, you can't put your own boat in here float plane only accses only and just see what is in here.just like Alaska I do believe Rowan Lake is the last frontier for untapped true giant MUSKIES in very pressured waters by a lot of very good fisherman now days.please don't take this wrong I'm just saying what still really is out there to truly fish giant and very uneducated fish thanks for reading. Always Calm Waters To You All.
Musky Brian
Posted 2/17/2015 6:04 PM (#754435 - in reply to #754418)

timhutson1 - 2/17/2015 5:03 PM

Do you guys think all of this (fishing being tougher) goes for LOTW also? I went for the first time last year and it was very tough but I would be interested to hear what the regulars think.

I think LOTW has changed in some aspects, a lot of old timers claim it used to be easier to catch big fish and weedbeds have been disappearing/gone at an alarming rate because of the rusty's.....However, with that being said, it ain't that though on the vast majority of weeks
upnortdave
Posted 2/17/2015 7:40 PM (#754456 - in reply to #754435)

Id still like to go to MN. Change of scenery. Wish I had time. Its a new adventure to explore unfamiliar waters n test yourself n your skill set.
jonnysled
Posted 2/18/2015 6:46 AM (#754504 - in reply to #754034)

i'm in Minnesota a lot but choose to smallie fish on the St. Croix vs. musky fishing ... that is until the crowds are gone. we go in early November when it's right on the edge of closing up. on the busiest lake you'll see maybe 4 boats in a day total and have the place to yourself. conditions can be brutal but it's the only way it's fun for me ...
jlong
Posted 2/18/2015 8:39 AM (#754525 - in reply to #754504)

Sled,

I've encountered MORE musky fishing pressure in late fall (Oct/Nov) than during mid July trips to MN recently.  You can't rely on cold weather to keep the crowds away anymore.    

BNelson
Posted 2/18/2015 8:41 AM (#754526 - in reply to #754525)

I have noticed less pressure over there the last couple years as well in august and sept trips... I think Green Bay and LSC were taking quite a bit of the pressure off MN from out of staters like me... those 2 lakes getting hot have helped MN and all the guides going over there full time only helped even more....
jonnysled
Posted 2/18/2015 8:44 AM (#754527 - in reply to #754525)

jlong - 2/18/2015 8:39 AM

Sled,

I've encountered MORE musky fishing pressure in late fall (Oct/Nov) than during mid July trips to MN recently.  You can't rely on cold weather to keep the crowds away anymore.    

i think we were there at the same time ... might be something to do with the area of the lake? that week it's a crap shoot just to get there and put stuff in the water, right? i have a list of things that i break or need to fix from that trip every year.
IAJustin
Posted 2/18/2015 8:47 AM (#754528 - in reply to #754526)

Vermilion 1st week of November 2012, we ran 80% of the lake one day.... Over 40 Muskie boats!, but its a big lake -personally I could care less about pressure..maybe because my home lake is 400 acres and there is always at least 20 boats on it (not all muskie fishing but the non muskie guys are worse -ha!)
happy hooker
Posted 2/18/2015 9:10 AM (#754539 - in reply to #754528)

Fall vacations on V are the best. But you guys are missing the other half of the fun bring the shotgun too. Lots of Boise cascade land and logging trails to do some of the best grouse hunting in U.S..Grouse hunting in the mourn before fishing is a pleasant change, you don't have to worry about any fronts or what the moon is doing just find em and blast em,,,and this catch you get to eat
jonnysled
Posted 2/18/2015 9:16 AM (#754544 - in reply to #754539)

happy hooker - 2/18/2015 9:10 AM

Fall vacations on V are the best. But you guys are missing the other half of the fun bring the shotgun too. Lots of Boise cascade land and logging trails to do some of the best grouse hunting in U.S..Grouse hunting in the mourn before fishing is a pleasant change, you don't have to worry about any fronts or what the moon is doing just find em and blast em,,,and this catch you get to eat
:(

precisely what i noticed last year hooker ... dog is going with me next year!!
BrianF.
Posted 2/18/2015 10:00 AM (#754553 - in reply to #754034)

I think it's ironic that Luke Ronnestrand, who guides on MN's big fish waters daily during the summer and fall, has caught his top two PB fish from Green Bay - a pair of 58"ers . My personal feeling is that MN's musky fishery has taken a backseat to GB, LSC, and certain places in Canada. Still big fish to be had, but you are working long and hard for 'em, no doubt.
N Eddy
Posted 2/18/2015 11:14 AM (#754577 - in reply to #754034)

There are literally 0 muskies left in Minnesota. Don't go there, go to Canada, or LSC. I repeat, 0 muskies except 36 inchers....maybe;)

Edited by N Eddy 2/18/2015 11:16 AM
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 2/18/2015 12:47 PM (#754600 - in reply to #754034)

^^^listen to this guy. He knows his stuff. And do not waste your time around the 4th this year.
bdog
Posted 2/18/2015 1:17 PM (#754609 - in reply to #754577)

N Eddy - 2/18/2015 11:14 AM

There are literally 0 muskies left in Minnesota. Don't go there, go to Canada, or LSC. I repeat, 0 muskies except 36 inchers....maybe;)

Ditto! Waste of gas these days
Top H2O
Posted 2/18/2015 1:50 PM (#754616 - in reply to #754609)

Minnesota Muskie Lakes have crashed,...... MUST be those Guys that are Trolling with ONE line.

Of course it's Tough,.. compared to 10-15 years ago, even 6-7 yrs ago the catching was easier.
Give me Vermilion any day. Love this place.

Jerome
gsha
Posted 2/18/2015 8:12 PM (#754702 - in reply to #754034)

HMMM, I live in MN and started on musky's in the mid 80's. We still fish a bunch and I am skeptical of an over 50" every 35 hours. Fishing has slowed down, there is a lot more pressure and better fisherman out there. We have way too many fish killed with all the photo ops and you tube postings. I usually read on here once a week and rarely post.
Schultz345
Posted 2/18/2015 8:25 PM (#754710 - in reply to #754034)

it's so tough that my boat had the best season since starting in Minnesota five years ago. Size and numbers.
Brett Waldera
Posted 2/18/2015 8:33 PM (#754711 - in reply to #754034)

The MN fishery has crashed...the boom from the initial stockings of the 80's is over and the big fish are simply not there in the numbers that they once were. I am happy to have experienced the growth of some of these fisheries from introduction of muskies to the peak. There are still a few lakes left in MN that haven't peaked yet but they days of "easy" fishing are gone. Many of these new lakes are seeing a huge influx of pressure before the fish even have a chance to mature. I have a feeling they will not be "easy" big fish lakes when the fishery finally does mature because many of the fish have already seen and eaten double #10s and many other lures.
MN should still be a destination...regardless of your muskie fishing experience...it still has plenty of offer for the novice to the expert angler. Do your homework and fish at seasonal peaks and you should be rewarded with the one you are after if you spend a week on the water. You will more than likely at least see "the one".

The fishery is not what it was in the mid to late 2000s...but as others have said...It is still really good! As I stated...I am confident I will never see the big fish in numbers that we used to...I could tell some stories that few would believe were possible in MN...10-20 fish days actually existed in MN with all fish being greater than 40"!

I can tell you this in closing...this fishery didn't happen by mistake and a lot of anglers worked very hard to create what we had...many are still working hard to protect and promote the fishery that is in place now. When you see a post asking to contact a State Representative or DNR Official...take the time to send the email...the future of the sport depends on all of us!!!!!

Oh...and Brad Nelson's a 50" for every 35hrs on the water in MN is legit. I will vouch for him.

Brett Waldera
Reef Hawg
Posted 2/19/2015 2:57 AM (#754757 - in reply to #754553)

BrianF. - 2/18/2015 10:00 AM

I think it's ironic that Luke Ronnestrand, who guides on MN's big fish waters daily during the summer and fall, has caught his top two PB fish from Green Bay - a pair of 58"ers .

It was 57 and 58, caught a year apart and the same fish.
ToddM
Posted 2/19/2015 6:55 AM (#754760 - in reply to #754034)

People are killing muskies with their gopro?
upnortdave
Posted 2/19/2015 8:17 AM (#754777 - in reply to #754760)

Still probly better for numbers of 45 n better fish there then were on at in nort WI. Id still loke to go at some point in time.
happy hooker
Posted 2/19/2015 8:21 AM (#754778 - in reply to #754760)

Todd M People are killing ME with their gopros !

"HH you gotta see this"
"Heres some footage of me with my 42 at the front of the boat."
And
"Heres some footage of me with my 42 at the back of the boat"
And
"Heres some footage of me with my 42 at the side of the boat but you can still see part of the front of the boat"
And
"Heres some footage of me with my 42 at the other side of the boat but part of the back is also visable"
And
"Here is some footage of me spending 15 minutes trying to revive the fish"

"Hey HH wake up"!!!!!

Edited by happy hooker 2/19/2015 8:26 AM
BNelson
Posted 2/19/2015 9:19 AM (#754784 - in reply to #754034)

GSHA, go ahead and be skeptical but think of it this way... musky fishing is like any other sport, there are those that are good, avg, below avg etc... just like golf for example...you may have been golfing the same course since the 80s and only shooting Par.. a really good golfer could come to your course once a year and shoot 5 under par every time out... different skill levels dictate success... those that know me and know my trip reports can see I don't lie about hours or sizes... don't have to... the results are what they are... I get my butt handed to me just like the rest and I'm not afraid to say it when I do, but more often than not we find the fish and put them in the net...
MN is still awesome... I can get action from more fish over 48 in one day over there than I do in a full season fishing my home waters... that to me is just plain fun.

Edited by BNelson 2/19/2015 9:23 AM
Mojo1269
Posted 2/19/2015 9:28 AM (#754789 - in reply to #754577)

N Eddy - 2/18/2015 11:14 AM

Best post in the thread yet....
Baby Mallard
Posted 2/19/2015 10:22 AM (#754805 - in reply to #754789)

BN averages 20 under par for every 18 holes of golf.  He averages a birdie every 9.4 minutes, an eagle every 1.2 hours, and a hole in one every 3.6 hours. 

BNelson
Posted 2/19/2015 10:27 AM (#754808 - in reply to #754034)

but I don't golf Derek!
Top H2O
Posted 2/19/2015 10:38 AM (#754812 - in reply to #754789)

Brad,
I certainly am not doubting your numbers or Success,.... but you also have a
"Network" of friends/guides that help keep you up to date on what is working, where, when, and what Lures/colors to use. A lot of us "Common" Muskie guys don't have the Networks that some people have, especially Guides.
I don't think I'm to far off base with these statements.
Don't get me wrong, I don't even know you personally, but from what I have Learned on this Site (from your Postings) and from other people that know you, you come across as a person that should be listened to when it comes to putting Muskies in the Boat.
Most successful Muskie fishermen/Guides wouldn't put nearly as many fish in the boat if it wasn't for their CELL Phones and Network of information.
Again, 35 hrs. to boat a 50" Muskie is very impressive. also is that 35 hrs. just you or combined with the other 2 guys in your boat, for a total of 105 hrs.

Interesting topic.
Jerome
T_Peterzen55
Posted 2/19/2015 10:40 AM (#754813 - in reply to #754034)

My only sweet golf/Muskie moment is tying the course record at The Wilderness at Fortune bay in the morning 66 (-6) and then catching a 55.5 PB incher that evening.
BNelson
Posted 2/19/2015 10:42 AM (#754815 - in reply to #754813)

I use boat hours.. not personal hours...and I rarely have 3 guys in the boat.. 35 boat hours per 50.. yes, I do have a good network of guys that fish more often on the waters I fish than I do, I live 8 hrs away...none are guides tho.. and I don't fish
Vermilion...I'd pull my hair out! I know other guys that venture over to MN and have similiar results as well... sometimes people get stuck in a rut or fishing what was working last week or last year... to some degree, when guys like me make a trip we have an advantage as we aren't fishing memories, we are fishing what is working that minute/hour/day if that makes sense. heck my buds could probably mop up on my lakes if they came here too!
I will also say I would never expect to have that kind of success over the course of a season if I lived there... I of course pick days/time periods I feel are prime for success...
fish smarter, not harder.

one other thought...so Lukes 58incher grew a full inch in 1 year.. wow.. usually fish that big might only grow 1/4 to 1/2" ..??!! impressive growth rates!

Edited by BNelson 2/19/2015 11:41 AM
Top H2O
Posted 2/19/2015 11:06 AM (#754819 - in reply to #754813)

T_Peterzen55 - 2/19/2015 10:40 AM

My only sweet golf/Muskie moment is tying the course record at The Wilderness at Fortune bay in the morning 66 (-6) and then catching a 55.5 PB incher that evening.

Timmy, I believe the 55.5 incher (right of the Docks at Fortune Bay ( wink, wink ) but, come on....66....You probably avg. 335 yds. off tee also. Nice
T_Peterzen55
Posted 2/19/2015 11:35 AM (#754824 - in reply to #754819)

Top H2O - 2/19/2015 11:06 AM

Timmy, I believe the 55.5 incher (right of the Docks at Fortune Bay ( wink, wink ) but, come on....66....You probably avg. 335 yds. off tee also. Nice

Not kidding! Played for the Gophs for 4 years at college. I was 50/50 on turning pro but couldn't give up the Minnesota outdoor lifestyle!
CJs
Posted 2/19/2015 11:37 AM (#754826 - in reply to #754034)

57 in 2011
58.25 in 2013
She was caught a few years before 2011, at 55" about 15 miles away.
jonnysled
Posted 2/19/2015 11:44 AM (#754829 - in reply to #754824)

T_Peterzen55 - 2/19/2015 11:35 AM

Not kidding! Played for the Gophs for 4 years at college. I was 50/50 on turning pro but couldn't give up the Minnesota outdoor lifestyle!

i hope you bought a lottery ticket that day too ... those are some solid numbers! take the number all the way in or did you drop a couple trying to hold on?
Top H2O
Posted 2/19/2015 11:57 AM (#754834 - in reply to #754824)

T_Peterzen55 - 2/19/2015 11:35 AM

Pro Golfers SEE all kinds of wildlife on Tour every week.
curleytail
Posted 2/19/2015 12:23 PM (#754840 - in reply to #754034)

I never guessed this would get the attention it has! Thanks to all for your thoughts. Thanks for the several PM's I have received also.

There are some mixed opnions, but overall I get the feeling that while MN isn't what it was 10 years ago (that's not surprising), it still offers some very good fishing opportunities and is probably worth a trip here and there. I think I'll have to do some research and give it a shot sometime.

Appreciate the thoughts and advice. If you've got more to add, feel free to keep it going!

Tucker
BNelson
Posted 2/19/2015 12:25 PM (#754841 - in reply to #754840)

look into hiring a guide for a day your 1st day over there...that can cut the learning curve and would be well worth the money going in blind..... lots of good ones still left over there...Cochran, Williamson, Luke, etc etc etc
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 2/19/2015 1:29 PM (#754864 - in reply to #754034)

I fish with a buddy that used to guide, doesn't seem to have helped me. And Timmy won't give up his Cheese Curds hat, so I will stick to 1 fish a week and yelling at the ones that run away.
T_Peterzen55
Posted 2/19/2015 1:53 PM (#754872 - in reply to #754864)

ARmuskyaddict - 2/19/2015 1:29 PM

I fish with a buddy that used to guide, doesn't seem to have helped me. And Timmy won't give up his Cheese Curds hat, so I will stick to 1 fish a week and yelling at the ones that run away.

To risky to loan out the secret hat! Might just have to jump in the boat with me then!
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 2/19/2015 1:56 PM (#754873 - in reply to #754034)

Sounds good to me! I'll even settle for another fat 32 NR incher from the same spot I saw my first musky to simply get out and fish the V!
jasond
Posted 2/20/2015 10:25 AM (#755083 - in reply to #754873)

Every fishery has peaks and valleys. Mille Lacs and Vermillion are past their mid-2000's peak, but for me part of the fun of musky fishing and fishing in general is trying to figure out a lake that is "new to you". If you catch 1 fish or 10 fish in a week on Vermillion I would say it is worth going at least once because it is an absolutely beautiful place to spend a day or a week. Every time I try new water I like to think that figure something out that helps me on my "home waters" in some way.
Musky Brian
Posted 2/20/2015 4:21 PM (#755156 - in reply to #755083)

why do you find Lake Vermilion to be so beautiful? If you keep going a bit further north to LOTW, Rainy, Eagle, Lac Seul, etc....you get the same beauty of big water but without all the traffic and development I really don't get why people are so in love with Vermilion.

Edited by Musky Brian 2/20/2015 4:33 PM
Top H2O
Posted 2/20/2015 4:50 PM (#755160 - in reply to #755156)

Musky Brian - 2/20/2015 4:21 PM

why do you find Lake Vermilion to be so beautiful? If you keep going a bit further north to LOTW, Rainy, Eagle, Lac Seul, etc....you get the same beauty of big water but without all the traffic and development I really don't get why people are so in love with Vermilion.

Just my personal opinion but I love Vermilion. And I think it's Beautiful.
Plus it's in America... Those other Lakes are just farther North and more remote.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
jasond
Posted 2/20/2015 5:10 PM (#755166 - in reply to #755160)

I've been to LOTW, Lac Seul and Eagle (which is probably my all time favorite), but per the topic of MN fisheries I will take Vermillion for natural beauty all day.
Top H2O
Posted 2/20/2015 5:25 PM (#755171 - in reply to #755166)

I have only been to LOTW and Rainy. both are good places,,
Eagle is on my Bucket list.
I do have a problem with not being allowed to have Beer on the boat, especially if the driver isn't drinking. The Cost's for going on a Canadian trip compared to staying in MN. or WI is much higher. (Most cases)
In any case the catching isn't as good in MN. as it once was.....I'm thinking parts of Canada may be the same.
happy hooker
Posted 2/20/2015 6:38 PM (#755185 - in reply to #755171)

Going off the original title

Minnesota is damm tough!!! High taxes and sub zero weather hardin ya, we cold take on north/south Dakota ad iowa all at once.
Wisconsin however by recent estimates has us beat by about 400 thousand.but we do have the st Croix has a natural barricade and a invading force should have a 3 to 1 ratio to expect success.
Illinois is the big threat!! They are an aggressor. Appeasement in the form of paying their toll booths when we pass through isn't enough. They have learned from Rommel that blitzkrieg tactics to the hotbite bandwagon is the only strategy look at the past battle fronts of Chippewa flowage and vermilion. Minocqua is a puppet gov with Wal-Mart, Starbucks etc supply depots.
The best thing that can happen here in MInn is passing that boat trailer exotic dancer/species sticker, the closest thing we will have to a nuclear deterrent.

Edited by happy hooker 2/20/2015 7:06 PM
kevin cochran
Posted 2/21/2015 10:08 AM (#755278 - in reply to #754034)

I started fishing hard in 2000. I got to see the transition of the fisheries. I moved up north and concentrated my angling on lakes that were virtually untouched. The fish were allowed to grow super sized without being pressured. The game was easier back then on stocked waters. Multiple 50in days werent uncommon. I saw an increase of fishing pressure along with a decrease in encounters with large females over that last 5 years. Low density stocking, escapement issues, spawning suppression, big females being kept, are a few contributing factors. This is on one stocked lake that I fish.
I still catch fish of all sizes from natural waters. I have seen an increase of size structure as well. The numbers are higher on the two natural lakes that I fish. Northern MN has big fish and always will. I live and fish in an area that has options and over the years I have had to adapt my game plan. I am fortunate to have lots of options and some that are off the radar as well.
sworrall
Posted 2/21/2015 10:11 AM (#755279 - in reply to #755185)

happy hooker - 2/20/2015 6:38 PM

Minnesota is damm tough!!! High taxes and sub zero weather hardin ya, we cold take on north/south Dakota ad iowa all at once.
Wisconsin however by recent estimates has us beat by about 400 thousand.but we do have the st Croix has a natural barricade and a invading force should have a 3 to 1 ratio to expect success.
Illinois is the big threat!! They are an aggressor. Appeasement in the form of paying their toll booths when we pass through isn't enough. They have learned from Rommel that blitzkrieg tactics to the hotbite bandwagon is the only strategy look at the past battle fronts of Chippewa flowage and vermilion. Minocqua is a puppet gov with Wal-Mart, Starbucks etc supply depots.
The best thing that can happen here in MInn is passing that boat trailer exotic dancer/species sticker, the closest thing we will have to a nuclear deterrent.

That there is really funny.
Tamarack
Posted 3/3/2015 1:05 AM (#756995 - in reply to #754034)

Last year was an outliar year for Lake of the Woods. Highest water in 70 years and pretty windy conditions made for tough fishing, but most of my Musky customers still left happy. Our best year since taking over the camp with 24 over 50". And lots of 42-48" fish.
Flambeauski
Posted 3/3/2015 8:44 AM (#757025 - in reply to #755185)

happy hooker - 2/20/2015 6:38 PM

An alliance has already been formed. IL will come in from the south and WI from the north, the pinscer will be on St. Cloud, and the metro will surrounded. There is a possibility of another Stalingrad there, but we'll cross that bridge in due time.
The possibility of IA coming to your aid and hitting the flank of the attacking IL hordes has been considered, but the mainly Norwegian population is more interested in defense than offense.
Soon the People's Republic of Minnesota will be a memory.
jonnysled
Posted 3/3/2015 9:13 AM (#757028 - in reply to #757025)

will you attempt to overtake The Mall of Mogadishu?
Flambeauski
Posted 3/3/2015 9:53 AM (#757033 - in reply to #754034)

The Mall has little strategic value, although I can envision some of the southern and western allies attempting a counter offensive to open a corridor to it so their wives and kids can go shopping for the weekend.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 3/3/2015 11:10 AM (#757045 - in reply to #757033)

Haha, sounds like the invasive species are all above the bilge

Edited by Masqui-ninja 3/3/2015 11:25 AM
happy hooker
Posted 3/4/2015 9:44 AM (#757231 - in reply to #757045)

How do we inter all the transplanted cheeseheads for internal security??? We'd be able to.buy paint thinner again and the perch population would rebound but we'd have to stop work on the stadium and turn the hole in the ground into a reprogramming camp.
Cfollow
Posted 3/6/2015 2:12 PM (#757831 - in reply to #757231)

Back to the original question. Just watched this week's Keyes Outdoors episode that took place on West Battle Lake. Mike was fishing with Brad Ruh and Jason Hammernick and they put exactly 4 fish in the net in three full days of fishing in mid October. So there you have it, if you take a fully guided trip with one of the top ten musky fisherman in the world you might be able to put one fish in the net per day. Enjoy!!
P.S. Jason caught 3 of those 4 fish from the back of the boat.
Again, good luck.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 3/6/2015 2:21 PM (#757833 - in reply to #757831)

Cfollow - 3/6/2015 2:12 PM

Back to the original question. Just watched this week's Keyes Outdoors episode that took place on West Battle Lake. Mike was fishing with Brad Ruh and Jason Hammernick and they put exactly 4 fish in the net in three full days of fishing in mid October. So there you have it, if you take a fully guided trip with one of the top ten musky fisherman in the world you might be able to put one fish in the net per day. Enjoy!!
Again, good luck.

Haha! That's about right!
Corso Mike
Posted 3/6/2015 5:03 PM (#757878 - in reply to #754034)

WHINERS! You should have been fishing these things during the early 80's. It was better a few years ago but it is leaps and bounds above what it was at one time.
dami0101
Posted 3/9/2015 8:49 PM (#758513 - in reply to #757831)

Again, good luck.

You forgot to mention that they hooked up on and lost a lot more fish.
Mojo1269
Posted 3/9/2015 9:19 PM (#758520 - in reply to #757878)

Corso Mike - 3/6/2015 5:03 PM

WHINERS! You should have been fishing these things during the early 80's. It was better a few years ago but it is leaps and bounds above what it was at one time.

What ^^^^^^he said....
cave run legend
Posted 3/9/2015 9:27 PM (#758522 - in reply to #758520)

They also all threw the same style of baits everyday. Maybe could have changed some things up?
jchiggins
Posted 3/9/2015 9:41 PM (#758525 - in reply to #758520)

Mojo1269 - 3/9/2015 9:19 PM

Corso Mike - 3/6/2015 5:03 PM

What ^^^^^^he said....
x3
Cfollow
Posted 3/10/2015 7:23 AM (#758562 - in reply to #758513)

dami0101 - 3/9/2015 8:49 PM

Again, good luck.

" a lot more fish" you mean like less than four!! The point that the guide in the back of the boat was getting most all the strikes is also a crucially important point!
dami0101
Posted 3/10/2015 8:41 AM (#758572 - in reply to #758562)

Cfollow - 3/10/2015 7:23 AM

Again, good luck.

" a lot more fish" you mean like less than four!! The point that the guide in the back of the boat was getting most all the strikes is also a crucially important point!

Based upon what they say in the episode, I come up with 3 follows and 7-8 strikes that they were unable to capitalize on. Also, there is no indication that they tried different tactics. Also, the final day was when they saw most of their action so who knows what it would had been like if they had stuck around another day or two.
IAJustin
Posted 3/10/2015 12:21 PM (#758633 - in reply to #754034)

and they mentioned on Keyes, low 50's water temps day or two after turnover..still a handful of upper 40's caught in 3 days on the water ... oh how terrible the fishing is in MN ..boo hoo !!!
Cfollow
Posted 3/10/2015 12:37 PM (#758641 - in reply to #758572)

dami0101 - 3/10/2015 8:41 AM

Again, good luck.

Based upon what they say in the episode, I come up with 3 follows and 7-8 strikes that they were unable to capitalize on. Also, there is no indication that they tried different tactics. Also, the final day was when they saw most of their action so who knows what it would had been like if they had stuck around another day or two.

If you want to categorize MN muskie fishing as good to excellent or at least not tough based on that trip with arguably the best guide in MN, fine by me. I sure as heck call that a tough bite!!

Edited by Cfollow 3/10/2015 12:37 PM
Slow Rollin
Posted 3/10/2015 12:44 PM (#758646 - in reply to #758641)

i would say that show was terrible fishing... appoximately 1 fish/day for 3 casters i would have made a change somewhere whether different baits or another lake for sure. plain boring. plus one of the fish looked pretty smallish.

Edited by Slow Rollin 3/10/2015 12:47 PM
bdog
Posted 3/10/2015 1:00 PM (#758649 - in reply to #754034)

Judging by this thread the crowds of muskie boats should be way be down this year!!! Keep it up!! Spread the word, its over here...
Top H2O
Posted 3/10/2015 1:41 PM (#758659 - in reply to #758633)

IAJustin - 3/10/2015 12:21 PM

and they mentioned on Keyes, low 50's water temps day or two after turnover..still a handful of upper 40's caught in 3 days on the water ... oh how terrible the fishing is in MN ..boo hoo !!!

Justin. you nailed it.... I guess some of these Experts never fished during Turnover...
Sheesh.....
dami0101
Posted 3/10/2015 1:42 PM (#758660 - in reply to #758641)

Cfollow - 3/10/2015 12:37 PM

Again, good luck.

If you want to categorize MN muskie fishing as good to excellent or at least not tough based on that trip with arguably the best guide in MN, fine by me. I sure as heck call that a tough bite!!

I'm not saying it was excellent, but it also wasn't horrible. Over 3 days they fished the same baits, the same structure, and didn't change their tactics or their plan, from what we could see. Also, it was during turnover, which from what one reads on this forum every fall basically means it's going to be a tough bite no matter what. Considering lots of people go days without seeing fish, or go an entire season without putting one in the bag, 4 fish in the net with another 7-8 opportunities plus follows over 3 days isn't bad for a lot of us. Yes you would hope one of the top guides in MN would have produced more numbers, but even guides get shutout sometimes.
cave run legend
Posted 3/10/2015 1:44 PM (#758661 - in reply to #758646)

Slow Rollin - 3/10/2015 1:44 PM

i would say that show was terrible fishing... appoximately 1 fish/day for 3 casters i would have made a change somewhere whether different baits or another lake for sure. plain boring. plus one of the fish looked pretty smallish.

I wonder if brad has ever thrown anything besides a bulldawg or invader no matter the time of year.
Ronix
Posted 3/10/2015 2:34 PM (#758685 - in reply to #758661)

cave run legend - 3/10/2015 2:44 PM

I wonder if brad has ever thrown anything besides a bulldawg or invader no matter the time of year.

Every. single. episode. ----> show girl. bull dawg. cowgirl. bull dawg
jchiggins
Posted 3/10/2015 7:49 PM (#758756 - in reply to #754034)

They call it sponsorship. It's something new to commercial television. And yes, fishing in Minnesota still sucks.
Mr Musky
Posted 3/10/2015 8:46 PM (#758778 - in reply to #754034)

They should replay the old show with Hamernick and Steve Genson back in the day on Mille Lacs in November throwing pounders before most knew what they were. 2 mega giants and another good one to boot. That was the show of all shows for Keyes Outdoors.
JakeStCroixSkis
Posted 3/10/2015 9:02 PM (#758786 - in reply to #758685)

Ronix - 3/10/2015 3:34 PM

cave run legend - 3/10/2015 2:44 PM

Every. single. episode. ----> show girl. bull dawg. cowgirl. bull dawg

throw a heli dawg in there
Propster
Posted 3/10/2015 9:53 PM (#758793 - in reply to #758778)

Mr Musky - 3/10/2015 8:46 PM

They should replay the old show with Hamernick and Steve Genson back in the day on Mille Lacs in November throwing pounders before most knew what they were. 2 mega giants and another good one to boot. That was the show of all shows for Keyes Outdoors.

Pajama boy
Pointerpride102
Posted 3/10/2015 10:14 PM (#758794 - in reply to #758641)

Cfollow - 3/10/2015 12:37 PM

Again, good luck.

Battle is probably the toughest lake in Minnesota. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

MJH
Posted 3/10/2015 10:19 PM (#758797 - in reply to #754034)

Been fishing it for 30 years. It's clear that other areas are peaking and provide higher catch rates. Leaves me optimistic that the pressure here will subside and provide some peace and tranquility.